Reporting To The Ngs

family0fnine

Geocache's benchmark page suggests that we can report to the NGS when descriptions have changed or when the mark hasn't been visited in the last 30 years. I've read on other threads that people here have reported when the last recorded visit was a while ago.

What do you report? Are there guidelines or anything? Do people walk out with tape measures or is it a job only for the professionals?

I've been reading up on bookmarks in my area and, with the exception of a few postings on geocache itself, the latest visit is in the early 60's. Also, many of them (say DU0818) list road names that don't exist and talk about irrigation ditches that were around when this was all farm land.

What I log with the NGS depends on what I find.

If the TO REACH and location descriptions are adequate, I will merely log it as FOUND with no description.

If there have been changes in the area and it took me a while to find the marker due to the changes, I will post it FOUND with an updated description in the Note area. I do use a tape measure if I am giving a description to the marker from a reference object (e.g. fire hydrant, light post, etc.) I also use a compass to determine the direction the marker is from the reference object.

I don't usually log my NOT FOUNDS with the NGS unless it is very obvious that the marker won't be found (e.g. the description puts the marker in a flood channel under a highway and there is no longer a flood channel there). More than once, I have logged a marker as NOT FOUND on the gc.com site and someone else found it later.

What do you report? Are there guidelines or anything? Do people walk out with tape measures or is it a job only for the professionals?

The NGS welcomes updates to the "To Reach" section. Official measurements such as between RMs and the main station should only be done by processionals. Measurements designed to help locate the mark can be done by anyone as far as I know.

The NGS welcomes updates to the "To Reach" section. Official measurements such as between RMs and the main station should only be done by processionals. Measurements designed to help locate the mark can be done by anyone as far as I know.

Ahhh! I guess I should be careful in my terminology usage. By reference objects, I was NOT referring to the official reference marks placed by surveyors. I was referring to nearby objects that can be used to locate the general vicinity of the marks.

Thanks for pointing that out, GeckoGeek.