My Cache Page Arrangement

CoronaKid

I know this has probably been talked to death, but I just wanted to add my suggestion that the travel bugs be dropped to the BOTTOM of the My Cache Page. I'm at the point where I don't want to take TB's anymore because that will mean I'll have to scroll forever to find my cache logs!

Can someone please explain to me why it was decided to place them first? :lol: It just doesn't make sense to me since there are a lot of geocachers that ignore TB's completely.

To answer your question: Who knows... That's the way its always been.

It doesn't matter, however.

Jeremy has stated that he is redesigning the 'My Cache Page'. The new one will be tabbed similar to the profile page. Travel bugs will have their own tab, thereby solving this problem.

Since the solution is in the works, I don't think any action is necessary at this time.

Edited by sbell111
sbell111 is correct. We are redoing the "my cache page" which will resolve this issue.

The impatient side of me asks the question, when?

The engineer in me already knows the answer, it will be done that much sooner if you quit bugging me!

So I'll just say, I look forward to it and go back to waiting patiently and maybe grab a cache or three.

I know this has probably been talked to death, but I just wanted to add my suggestion that the travel bugs be dropped to the BOTTOM of the My Cache Page.  I'm at the point where I don't want to take TB's anymore because that will mean I'll have to scroll forever to find my cache logs!

Can someone please explain to me why it was decided to place them first? :D It just doesn't make sense to me since there are a lot of geocachers that ignore TB's completely.

I feel for ya buddy! Here is what I have to scroll through to get to rest of my cache page:

" 1,000,000 " #1

"Lucky Lindy"

101 Caches

457x967

55 BEL AIR

A Good Sport

Adira, the Belly Dancer

Agent Charizard #007

Aileron

Ally's Taxi

Almond Bug

Amidala Bug

Andy Orangutan - Party Animal

Andy's Birthday Bear

Andy's Fork

Angel of the Reef

Antsy the Anteater

Ares the Rottweiler

Ariana Duck

Ariel Beanie

Ariel The Little Mermaid

Arizona Wandering Star

Ashley's Birthday Bash Ball

Auto Maker Ensemble

B-17 Flying Fortress

Balancing Act

BARKLY

Barksalot

Barrel of Monkeys

BarstowDude

Beach Travel Bug T

Bee Hive Bug

Ben

Bernice

Big Green Travel Lantern

Big Red "Speedy"

Bingo the Invisible Dog

BlackJack the Monterey Diver

Blue

Blue

Blue Boy

Bob the Cache Builder

Bobby the "Now Extinct" Mullethead

bobthecat

Bodacious Bovine

Boink

Bottle of love

Bouncer

Boxer Baby

Brain Freeeze

Broomtail

BudBug

Buddy the Fire Dog

Buffy the Desert Cat

Bug Eyed

Bug Will Make You Scratch

Bullwinkle, California Born Moose

Bunny Hopper

Busted in Vegas

ButterShug

CA Star

Caba The Happy Hippo

Cache Hopper

CACTUS JACK

California Dreamin'

California Dreamin' Barbie - The Sequel

Cary

Cat Dog

Celebrating All Animals

Celia (The Great M.I. Marathon!)

Centris 100 (aka CBug)

Charlie Bug

Charlotte

CHOCOLATE MOOSE

Chopper!

Claude the Crab

Clone of Calvin

Clyde the Orangutan

Cody Cootie

Collect-A-Card

Colorado Seeker

Columbia Fly Again

Compass To Travel By

Connecticut Courier

Connecticut Quarter

Construction Bob Plastic Pants

Crabs

Crazy Cache GeoCoin #1

Curious George

Curious George Jr.

Damselfly

Dave Matthews

Delta the Duck

Desert Paintball

Dharma

Dig-Em

Digital Dinosaur

Dino Buddy

Dino Saurio

Directional Choice

DJ Bug

Do Run Run

Dog Tags

Dragonbook

Dree Pup

DropTop

Ducati Iron Butt

Eat Chikin!

Eensy Weensy Spider

ELVIS COME HOME

Emmee

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Fish out of Water

Floppy

Flower Fairy

Frank-n-VA

Fred "the pez" Flinstone

Freddy the Fabulous Fish

French Souvenir: Eifel tower

Frinky

Frisky Filly

Frodo Baggins

Frodo Baggins of the Shire

Froggy

Frosty Mug

FTF! Bug

Fuzzy Log Book

GAMERA

General Ursus

Generic Flop

Geo Key Ring

GEO QUACKER

GEO-COP

Geocache Coin #5

GeoXtremists

Get Well Duck

Ginger

Gold Fever Geocoin

Good Luck Chinese Dragon

Google Bug

GOoHF

Green Egg & Ham

Hand Shake

Hank

Hard Rock Traveler (COPY TAG)

Hard-Core Adventure Dude

Haridra the lucky elephant

Haunted Canyon Witch Geo-Traveler #2

He-Dude Protector Of Monterey Caches

Head of Marvin

Headed South, Partner?

Hedwig

Helena

Hello Kitty

Hello Kitty Folding Chair On A Logging Road

Henny Penny

Herb & Eileen Racer

HipHop the Alien Easter Bunny

Hobgoblin bug

Hockey Puck

Holey Coin Collecter

Hollywood Signature Hound

Home Sweet Home

Homer the Homing Elephant

Honeymooner

Hop, Skip 'n' Jump

Houston Texan

Hucklebear

Huey Duck

I "Heart" San Francisco

I Heart the USA

I Pledge Allegiance

I Think I Can

I wanna go home

Iggy Stardust

Inch-by-Inch

Iron Butt

It's a Lock!

ivan's green turtle #20XXX8

Izzy the dare2 Grizzly travel bug

J. Wayne the Texas Toad

Joker's Wild Ride

Juneau Walrus

Keep on Trucking

KEY TO CACHE BOX

Kickflip Bart

KJ3

Koko Bug

Kyle, the Sharptooth

Lady Liberty

Lara Croft - Cache Raider

LaurieAnn01

Leapin' Lizard

Leaping Frog#3

Left My Heart

Lenin

Letter to Australia

Little A's Fish

Little Alien Traveler

Little Bit

Little Foster on a Skateboard

Little Red Truck

Loco-Rojo Fish

Lost My Memory

Louie, The Shrimp

Loveable Lion

Lucky (the three legged dog)

Lucky Furby

Luke Keychain

Lumiere TB

Luscious Lenny

Marill's PokeBall

Marine Joe

MARKY SHARKY

Marty's Mahem

Massachusetts Courier

MeanGreen the Monterey Diver

Merlins Apprentice

Micro Frog Travel Bug

Mieke's Hat

Mike the Bike

Mini Bug 2

Mini White Bear #5 (bthomas)

Mini-Jeep

MINI-ME (jtkcacher)

Minsy

Mitsuko

Mixed up

Moby Bug

Molten In Time

Mom & Dad World Travellers

Monkey Bear

Monsieur Bleu, the City Mouse

Monumental Race – Megan

Mother Earth

MOVIN" MINNOW

Mr Quackers

Mr. Trickster

Muppets Take Manhattan: Animal

Muppets Take Manhattan: Beaker

Muppets Take Manhattan: Fozzie

Muppets Take Manhattan: Gonzo

Muppets Take Manhattan: Kermit

Muppets Take Manhattan: Miss Piggy

Muppets Take Manhattan: Rowlf

Muppets Take Manhattan: Swedish Chef

Mustang GT Bug

Mutant Bug

NASCAR Navigator

Nat Parker

New Hampshire Courier

Nifty Fifty!

North Dakota or Bust

Norton

Not Quite Zena

OB Mystery Machine

Paddington

PANCHO

Philly Masters

Phoebe's Bug

Phoenix Bound

Pig Breeder travel bug

Pikachu

Pink and Purple butterfly

Pink Flamingo

Platypus

Pluto Poo

Po on the Go!

Podunk Pete

PR Surfer

Princess Hugabug

Prissy Kitty

Psittacosis

Pumpkin

Puppy's Present

Purple Rock

Puzzle Bug #6: Iron Maiden

Race Contender: Aargnzarf

Race Contender: Kikipopo

Raider's Fan

RaiderBug

Raisin' the Roof!

Randall

Ready Teddy

Red

Red Dino

Red Eye

Reddy

Reggie Rhino

Return Pod #1 by EraSeek

Reverend john's church key

Rhode Island Courier

Right Sneaker Shoe

Robbert's Rhino

Rolle SocrBug

Rollin 66

Rosie's Slime Machine

Sacagawea

Sammy's visit to TY

San Francisco Peace

Santa Cruz "Brass Ring" Coin

Say Aaahhh

Scooby-Don't

Scott's Olds 442

Scuba

SDSU Mr. Beefcakes

Seattle Sam

See Yah Later Gator

Shannah's Bearista

Sharky

Shiner

Shy Zebra

Signature Jeep #120

Silver Bullet Brigade

Sissy Pea Ducky

Slinky

Smallworld

Smashed Penny Souvenir TB

Smiling S _ _ _ _ _

Smokey DA Bear

Smoochy the Frog

SNICKERS THE DOG

Soccer Dude

Sock Monkey

Sorbo

SouthernCanuck-Bug#1

space man

Spangle the Patriotic Bear

Spideey

SPLAT!

Sponge Bob Cache My Pants!

SpongeBob

SpongeBob Bop

SpongeBob Squarepants

Spudnik

Squidward

Squigams

Starbucks Coffee Bear

States Traveller 1

Stephanie McCarty

Strut the Rooster

Sue the T-Rex

Super-Patriotic-Freedom-Liberty-Patriot-Fun Bear

Swampy

Swiss Classic

T & A: Warrior Women: Cavewoman

T. Endo dog tag

Take Me Camping!

Tarry Knot

Team Geo-Remdation HUMVEE

TENNIS ANYONE?

Thanksgiving Bell

The 2003 Micro Bug

The Bailey

The Cache Cowntess

The Cincy Duck

The Circum-48 Logbook

The Enlightened One

The Evil 8

THE GEOCRICKET

THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY

The Good Professor

The Hat

The Holy Hand Grenade

The Hulk

The Little Engine That Could!

the log

The Lonely Horseshoe

The Lyin' King

The Moving Cache

The Race is On !!!

The Raid Bug

The Ring

The Ring

The Traveling Music Exchange

The Useless Cell (N)

Theo the Traveling Hedgehog

This Little Piggy

Tobe's Friend

Toby the Traveling Troll

Travel Bug

Travel Bug Dog Tag

TravelHog

Traveling Benin Fish

Traveling DoorKnob

Traveling Soldier

TRAVELING TEDDY

Traveling Tri

TravelTubby

Tropical Girl

TTFN

Turtle

Tux the Penguin

TwoVegasGuys#2

Ursus

Vegas Lola Buzzz

Vermont Courier

VideoBug

Wally the Walrus

Watch of Isilour

Wheelie #1

Where's The Picnic?

White Tiger

Williams Travel Bug

Wonder Woem

WTC RIVET BUG

Yada

Yasmin

Yellow2Tooth

YellowBelly the Monterey Diver

Yertle the Turtle

Yoda keychain

Yosemite Bear

Yu-Gi-Oh TB

Yumpin' Yiminy Cricket

ZZ HOP

--Marky

I don't want to take TB's anymore because that will mean I'll have to scroll forever to find my cache logs!

A recent change in TB tracking on this site means that you can trim the annoying listings of TBs just by deleting your logs for those TBs which no longer interest you.

This doesn't affect TB maps or TB present position. It does affect TB milage and your TB stats.

I used to handle all TBs through a dedicated sockpuppet account to prevent clutter on MY CACHE PAGE, but it was pretty inconvenient. Lately it is no longer necessary. The solution is three clicks away: edit log -> delete -> confirm. Not that your log will still be available to anybody watching the bug, through a link provided in notification e-mails which is still valid for archived logs.

The solution is three clicks away: edit log -> delete -> confirm. Not that your log will still be available to anybody watching the bug, through a link provided in notification e-mails which is still valid for archived logs.

That's dumb.

:unsure:

I thought you are an avid opponent of stats manias. That you were preaching the back-to-basics, let's-trade-items-and-write-interesting-logs kind of caching.

But when it comes to the travelbug, it seems that you care way too much about users' stats and the bugs' stats ... am I right? Is it perhaps because the TB tag is the most important commercial product of Groundspeak?

Ob-joke: The World Congress of Don't-give-a-dadgum'ers. A journalist is seeking an inrterview.

- What are your goals?

- We don't give a dadgum.

- You mean ... not about anything?

- Yup.

- You don't give a sh*t about money???

- Hey man, leave our money alone!

- But you have an inconsistency here...

- Didn't we tell you? We don't give a dadgum about inconsistencies!

I thought you are an avid opponent of stats manias. That you were preaching the back-to-basics, let's-trade-items-and-write-interesting-logs kind of caching.

I was indicating that your solution is dumb.

I already mentioned it was on my todo list farther up in this thread.

I was indicating that your solution is dumb.

rather than the result? Allright, I must grudgingly admit that you score some benevolence points with this.

But I don't think you can call 'dumb' a technical solution which exploits some features of your computer product in a way which you perhaps didn't intent. Especially since it achieves a result which your intended functionality can't achieve at this time.

As far as I see it, your game at gc.com is mostly to restrict. Restrict everything, from what kinds of caches people place, to how they use and share the info from your database, all the way to technical nitty gritty like what tags or image formats are restricted. You should expect the counter-game to focus on discovering and exploiting unintented loopholes in your restrictions ... call it THE HUNT.

But I don't think you can call 'dumb' a technical solution which exploits some features of your computer product in a way which you perhaps didn't intent.

I thought you were just being intentionally dumb. Like, if "I take a hammer to my head I'll stop my headache." I didn't realize that you were indicating that a solution like removing your own logs was actually an exploit.

Exploits are usually something beneficial. Unless you're overly masochistic and like beating your head with a hammer, it doesn't seem like the "correct" solution.

I thought you were just being intentionally dumb. Like, if "I take a hammer to my head I'll stop my headache." I didn't realize that you were indicating that a solution like removing your own logs was actually an exploit.

Sounds like you're admitting that you couldn't stand the result, rather than the method, after all. But that's what I suggested from the very beginning,

that you care way too much about users' stats and the bugs' stats

Removing unnecessary logs for me is more like clipping nails and trimming mustache. You don't store your nail clippings for the rest of your life, I hope? Some logs tell good stories and some don't. Some hunts I want on my public record and some I choose to keep off-line. But I must make a log to notify the community that a bug has been moved; therefore, not making a log online is not an option. But making a log and expunging it afterwards is still an option.

...hit the end key and shoot all the way to the bottom of the page

Now I think that takes a dumb turn. I suspect that many old grumpy users, like myself, got their first taste of the Internet with lynx and rn over VT100. Certainly it is silly to imply that we don't know how to navigate without mice.

The question was, "Can you prevent clutter on MY CACHE PAGE", and later on, "Is it reasonable to sacrifice TB logs and tallies to the cleanup". The question wasn't about means for navigating huge webpages, which, in addition to just being unwieldy and uncool, also take time to load, and force cache turnover (not the GEO cache :unsure: ). At the same time MY CACHE PAGE remains the only tool for managing your cache notes and DNFs.

But given that Jeremy plans to overhaul MY CACHE PAGE, and, most likely, to obliterate its useful features in the process B) , the questions may become mute

But given that Jeremy plans to overhaul MY CACHE PAGE, and, most likely, to obliterate its useful features in the process ;) , the questions may become mute

If you think the bug's history is not important, why do you log them in the first place? Deleting logs affects the bug's history and mileage. It is a dumb idea to change the history of those bugs just to 'clean up' your My Cache Page

But I must make a log to notify the community that a bug has been moved; therefore, not making a log online is not an option. But making a log and expunging it afterwards is still an option.

Then why pick up bugs at all? Leave them in the cache for the next person if you plan on just removing your part of the TBs history anyways. Since it will look like it moved without you, then why move it all? You leave no record, no pictures, in the end no log, what was the point?

But I must make a log to notify the community that a bug has been moved; therefore, not making a log online is not an option. But making a log and expunging it afterwards is still an option.

Then why pick up bugs at all? Leave them in the cache for the next person

It's fun to move these thingies along. I pick them for probably the same reason as you all do. When I take an out of state trip; or when I need stuff to seed a new cache; or when the goals of a bug match my goals. But oftentimes I take a bug because it looks interesting, without doing my homework first. I guess you all do. So you bring it home and realize that this bug has no interesting goal, or maybe it has one but you can't help. One still needs to move it along in reasonable time, right? Moving somewhere is better than not moving anywhere, as most bug owners would attest.

Now IMNSHO the real treasure of geocaching is its stories. If I couldn't play along the bug's original story, I try making up a side theme which sounds interesting to me. Like I had a bug racing to an urban cache & since I don't hunt urban caches, I put it on a mountaintop with a great view of its destination. I had another bug, an elephant figurine, asking to fly to Thailand. Couldn't really help it, but I remembered Hanniball's story and sent this elephant across a snowy mountain pass.

If I really like the story, I keep it, of course. If it's a so-so story or none at all, I'll delete it. None of this history is lost. Everybody on the watchlist gets an e-mail. And the orginal log (as referenced by these e-mails) is still there in GC.com database. By "deleting" it, you actually only update its status field. So the owner could link to my original logs in a note at any time; the owner may also correct mileage record if so desired.

Phew... that was long. No space left for ob-invectives addressing TPTBs ... uh oh.

When we say here that stats don't matter, what is meant is that it isn't a competition. An individual's stats are important to that individual.

Also, it's usually said in reference to cache finds, not to travel bug miles. The distance a TB goes is largely the point. The stats matter more.

When you delete logs like that, you're messing up someone else's stats, not your own. That's the problem with that solution. It's like deleting someone's find because you don't want to have to click "View All Logs" and scroll too far to see all the logs on your cache.

Original topic: I'm glad to hear it will be changed.