Who Can Identify This Marker?

bholt3

The other information on the disk says that it was set for the City of Long Beach in 1969 by Charles Hathaway, LS2680, of Long Beach. (Incidentally, he became a Licensed Land Surveyor in 1951 and his license is still current. He may or may not still be practicing.)

Wow! :unsure: Nifty info! I assumed that the information on the OC side of the marker was an OC marker number. It never occured to me that CLB would mean City of Long Beach but now that seems pretty obvious.

Is there a public database for suveyor information that you were able to check to find out about Mr. Hathaway or is that from a surveyor only source?

The information about licensed Professional Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers, particularly their name, license number, and license status is public information. The California Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors maintains that list. To quote the mission statement of the Board: 'The Mission of the Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors is to safeguard the life, health, property, and welfare of the public by regulating the practice of professional engineering and land surveying.' General information about a particular engineer or surveyor can be searched for on the License Lookup page on the board's website.

On the subject of county line markers, I found a BM disc that had a county line on it. It sits on the border between LA and Orange County in Seal Beach/Long Beach (depending on which side of the disc you are on).

I've got one very similar to that, on the Ventura/Los Angeles county line: EW4527. It's just off P.C.H. (California 1), between Malibu and Oxnard. I have to go back out there and do some more work on it before filing a Recovery with NGS, though. The marker I found appears to be a reset, but I want to verify the measurements.

I've got one very similar to that, on the Ventura/Los Angeles county line: EW4527. It's just off P.C.H. (California 1), between Malibu and Oxnard. I have to go back out there and do some more work on it before filing a Recovery with NGS, though. The marker I found appears to be a reset, but I want to verify the measurements.

Sorry if this strays a bit off topic... do you (or anyone wishing to respond) file a Recovery with the NGS for each mark you find? I'm of course aware of the gc.com method for logging a mark, but that usually was the end of it for me. Should I be logging my finds elsewhere too? If I can help in some way by doing so then by all means I will.

Sorry if this strays a bit off topic... do you (or anyone wishing to respond) file a Recovery with the NGS for each mark you find?  I'm of course aware of the gc.com method for logging a mark, but that usually was the end of it for me.  Should I be logging my finds elsewhere too?  If I can help in some way by doing so then by all means I will.

Some do, some don't. This topic was also recently discussed here.

Sorry if this strays a bit off topic... do you (or anyone wishing to respond) file a Recovery with the NGS for each mark you find?  I'm of course aware of the gc.com method for logging a mark, but that usually was the end of it for me.  Should I be logging my finds elsewhere too?  If I can help in some way by doing so then by all means I will.

Some do, some don't. This topic was also recently discussed here.

That's what I get for posting before morning coffee. Thanks for the link.