Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert_Warrior

Too Many Radios...

I have too many radios. I need to sell a few. Thought I would offer them here first, just in case anyone is in need. :lol:

#1. ICOM IC-740. Many accessories available for it, can sell the radio cheap, and add the accessories you like.

#2. ICOM IC-735. Basically stock radio, nothing special.

If anyone is interested contact me. In a few days I will post them to one of the lists. No pressure... available if you like.... or not. :D

For someone who is completely clueless about ham radio can you tell me which radio would be good for my son and I to start out on? He has a birthday on the 23rd of Feb and mine is one the 22 of Feb so maybe we could get my wife to buy us a joint gift.

The eHam reviews do favor these, they look like very sturdy and usable rigs.

eHam review IC-740

eHam review IC-735

Straight Answer to "The types that require a license or not??"

Yes, to fully utilize the transceivers you would need an Amateur Radio License of the current license classes Technician Plus Code, General, or Amateur Extra.

If you didn't have a microphone for it, it's a really expensive receiver.

I REALLY need to get my General class ticket...

Mike, thank you for letting us have a stab at it first, you're AWESOME!

Todd - K7PKT

I would be interested, since the only HF rig I own is the HTX-10 from Radio Shack (10 meter mobile). What price range are you asking for them?

The radio doesn't require a license, but the FCC does. :D

Darn government.

Is this the type of license where you have to study morse code first? I gave that up as a bad plan many years ago.

Is this the type of license where you have to study morse code first?  I gave that up as a bad plan many years ago.

We've been talking about different radios in this thread, but I think the answer to your question is "no".

Oops - in light of DW's response, make that a "yes". Sorry.

A license to operate 2 meters (144MHz) and above (higher frequency) doesn't not require morse code. I think 6 meters (50MHz) falls into the same category.

Anything below 50MHz (40, 20, 10 meters, etc) would require morse code - at this time, but the times are a changing but there's no ETA on that yet.

Edited by GeckoGeek

The "No Code" technician allows you to operate on anything 6 meters and above (1.25m, 2m, 70cm, ....) The "Code" technician adds a small bit of the 10m band.

General offers more privilidges (dang... I can't remember how to spell that word)

Extra gives you access to everything on the amateur bands.

"Code" tech, general and extra require a 5 word-per-minute code test. (Receiving, not sending)

N6LMX (General)

For someone who is completely clueless about ham radio can you tell me which radio would be good for my son and I to start out on? He has a birthday on the 23rd of Feb and mine is one the 22 of Feb so maybe we could get my wife to buy us a joint gift.

It depends completely on your license class.

Well, that is not strictly true. You can own any radio. You can listen to any radio. But to "legally transmit" you must be licensed to that frequency range.

Since you did not specify your license class, it is hard to give you a better answer. BUT... if it is a starter radio you are looking for, and keeping in mind that a beginner's license allows you operation in the VHF and UHF (above 30 Mhz), neither of these radios would do.

The radios I am parting with are HF, (Short Wave) and allow world-wide communications (providing you have a good antenna and the sunspots are running) in a small package. To legally operate them, you would need the second level license. Not hard to get, but for the moment they DO require a minimal knowledge of Morse Code. That requirement may soon change.

Hope this helps.

I would be interested, since the only HF rig I own is the HTX-10 from Radio Shack (10 meter mobile). What price range are you asking for them?

I just went through the IC-735 completely today. Using a 6 foot wire I listened to a ham in Sacramento CA on 20 meters (from inside my tin hut in El Paso), and tested the transmitter on 10 meters. This radio is working 100%. Cosmetically, it is 80-85%, as it has some scratches on the top and side cover.

It has been modified as follows. The transmitter has been opened up for MARS operation. This also allows it to work on the new 60m band. The meter lamps have been changed from green to amber for better night contrast. I am a professional electronics tech, have been since 1976. The mods were done right.

This radio has been used mobile and portable, and was the primary radio used for AEM3WB/KSA, the 11th BDE MARS station for Gulf War-I. It has a history of proud service. I hate to part with it, but I have not used it in 2 years, and it is too nice of a radio to leave on the shelf. You can read about them HERE.

You get the radio, original owners manual, service manual, DC power cord, and original microphone. It will be shipped in its original box and packing. Price is $400 plus shipping from 79922. Digital photos of it can be taken if you want to see it. The electronic CW keyer module can be added for $50 with the radio (it will fit either radio). I will not sell the keyer separately until I sell both radios.

I have not touched the IC-740 yet. The #1 failure of the IC-740 is the Speech Compressor switch. I have a new one that I want to install before I say anything more about that radio. I hope to start on it tomorrow at lunch. Should be done by Friday. If it checks out good, I will ask $350 for it. Also available will be the internal DC power supply for $90, the FM module for $50, a 270 hz CW filter for $40, and the Keyer module for $50 if it isn't sold with the other radio first. If you want the whole package on that radio, with all the extra goodies, call it $450 ($130 off the price of all separate). I will install and test the modules and filter for you if you want them.

Beside all that, it has the original manual, an SM-6 desk microphone, a power cord, and the original box.

As I said, I want to check over the 740 before I say much more. I do not expect any problems, just want to be sure. You can read about the 740 HERE.

Enough for now. :D

BTW, I am also checking out a Ranger RCI-2950. It may be available soon.

Oops..... to add to this. I have a friend who is about to let go of a Yaesu FT-726R. This IS a FINE radio for a beginner. It is also satellite capable, as well as the two most popular bands in ham radio, 2m and 70cm.

If you want to know more, let me know. I need to run off to a dinner date with the Great Dane club, and I am running late! :D

Added following morning.

If you want to know more about this one, read about it HERE. I believe he has the sat board and the pll board installed.

Edited by Desert_Warrior

Here is the IC-735, ready for sale. Ain't she purty? :unsure: If anyone is interested, let me know. I will probably post it for sale on the web by the weekend if I don't hear anything from you guys.

46091_1400.JPG

Well, nothing heard. The 735 is now posted on the web for general sale. Still working on the 740, will keep it updated here first. It is a real nice radio.

EDIT: Spelling as usual! Think I could type two lines without an error??? NOT!

Edited by Desert_Warrior

Yeah... as much as I am interested in these two radios, unfortunately now is not the right time for me to make such a big purchase. <_< I wish you much luck in selling your rigs.

The IC-735 has sold. (for $375).

I may have another for sale, used less and in cleaner condition than the first. Same basic radio, but NO service manual. He wants $375 and shipping for it. I can get a photo if anyone is interested. Belongs to WD8EFB, and believe me when I say it is little used. You got to call him on the phone to tell him to turn on his 2m radio! <_<

Still checking out the IC-740 - will list it here when it is checked out to my satisfaction.

Looking forward to the weekend... Y-all be safe.

I may have another for sale, used less and in cleaner condition than the first.  Same basic radio, but NO service manual.  He wants $375 and shipping for it.  I can get a photo if anyone is interested.  Belongs to WD8EFB, and believe me when I say it is little used.  You got to call him on the phone to tell him to turn on his 2m radio!  :P

Well, this one is used much less than mine, but it is scratched up a little more. So if you don't mind a few scratches, you can get a better deal. If you want it for mobile, looks don't much matter anyeay. Here it is.

1 each ICOM IC-735 (photos available) with original mic, original power cord, owners manual and schematic, PLUS ICOM SP-7 matching speaker. Original box gone, but a box from an IC-725 will fit, and will be supplied. I will replace the meter lamps out and check it out before anyone can close a deal on it.

Price: $325 + shipping (about $20-$25). Take a few scratches, get a better deal - save $50. Let me know guys, cause I will post this one on the web as soon as I check it out for Frank (WD8EFB).

Oops..... to add to this. I have a friend who is about to let go of a Yaesu FT-726R. This IS a FINE radio for a beginner. It is also satellite capable, as well as the two most popular bands in ham radio, 2m and 70cm.

This radio ALSO belonged to WD8EFB. However, it is sold for $300 + shipping. Someone got a great satellite and V/UHF radio. I am packing it up right now.

WX to poor for caching today anyway. :P

EDIT. Everyone knows my spelling sucks. Hope I got them all!

Edited by Desert_Warrior

I found ieSpell recently, too. Great little tool if you use Internet Explorer. The hard part is remembering to invoke it every time I'm ready to submit a post. :P