Thunder Eggs

Og's outfit

What do they look like in the field? Or do they differ, one from another?

I've found an area not far fom my town where thunder eggs and other stone treasures can be found. I've never hunted these things and don't have a clue what they look like before they're busted open.

Can anyone give me some insight on this? Maybe a link to a good site or some pics?

Thanks

Last summer Doug and I and some buddies went up to Lucky Strike Mine NE of Prineville, OR. The mine owners drove us up to the dig site, showed us how to dig for our own eggs and what to look for, and educated us on how the eggs formed. We found and bought several eggs. They will also cut your eggs in half for cheap, but we brought our eggs back to a local Portland rock shop with a quicker saw. Kop and his much-younger wife are very knowledgable about the area and are quite a hoot! We enjoyed visiting with them. We highly recommend the experience. They have digging tools available for your use. And also some really fancy polished stones for sale.

Edited by dasein

All of the thunder eggs we've found look kinda like stone potatoes. We find them around Mt Bidwell, near the California/Oregon border.

I have been finding several hundred pounds of agate, petrified wood, fossilized bone, crystal, Jadeite, etc in the rock pit I work at.

Just remember, the law (on federal lands) limits petrified wood collection to 25lbs plus one peice per year, without a permit. Our "one peice" took at least two people to lift :D

What in the heck is a thunder egg??

I'm more familiar with the term geode. Essentially, it's a crystal that grows inward, filling an empty space. A geode has a hollow space inside whereas a "thunder egg" has been completely filled.

The outside does actually look a little like doot. They are usually egg shaped because they are formed inside bubbles within volcanic rock. The outsides are lumpy or may have circular patterns on them as the crystals begin to form on the inside surface of the bubble and grow inward.

The http://geology.about.com/library/bl/images/blthunderegg.htm link above has a fairly decent picture.