Buying GPS unit... questions???

Zoboomafoo

quote:
Originally posted by Zoboomafoo:

How important, if at all, is having a GPS with mapping capability?

I'm planning on using it for geocaching (duh) as well as the yearly canoe trip to the Boundary Waters and hiking trips.

Any thoughts??

I'm looking at the eTrex ($99 at Best Buy right now).

If you aren't sure about mapping, but you can afford it, get it! It expands the uses of the GPS greatly! Besides being handy on road trips, I'd imagine even during a canoe trip, it could be nice to know that there's a highway just over that thar hill!

If you're sure mapping's not of interest to you, or your budget is tight, save the money for batteries, instead.

ApK

quote:

How important, if at all, is having a GPS with mapping capability?

I'm planning on using it for geocaching (duh) as well as the yearly canoe trip to the Boundary Waters and hiking trips.

Any thoughts??

I'm looking at the eTrex ($99 at Best Buy right now).

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. If you can spare a few benjis, get a unit that has good memory and accepts maps. Personally I have a GPSMap76 with Garmin Topo and Roads&Rec. I used this stuff before I started geocaching, but believe me, it makes it a lot easier for me to geocache. I've seen a couple of people caching without mapping ability, and after seeing my setup, they wished they had spent the bucks up front to get mapping ability. It's a lot harder to justify a second unit with mapping ability after you already bought one GPS too. Just ask my wife LOL.

"Seek and ye shall find." - God, ????, BC

I really like having the built in maps of my GM100 they make life easier. I have had it for about 4yrs now and its been a pleasure. I can't help ya with your Garmin question but I would agree with the other posters that having mapping capability is well worth the money.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I'm still learning how to use it, but it seems to have all of the features that I need. The built-in "World-wide" city database is of limited utility for geocaching. Even as navigationally challenged as I am, at least I ususally know what city I'm in! icon_biggrin.gif

If I had it to do over again, I'd save a little longer and buy something with a better antenna. Signal strength drops in a hurry when you get under cover. Even so, it's a nice relatively inexpensive GPS.

I'm still learning how to use it, but it seems to have all of the features that I need. The built-in "World-wide" city database is of limited utility for geocaching. Even as navigationally challenged as I am, at least I ususally know what city I'm in! icon_biggrin.gif

If I had it to do over again, I'd save a little longer and buy something with a better antenna. Signal strength drops in a hurry when you get under cover. Even so, it's a nice relatively inexpensive GPS.

Yellow E-Trex. I was fortunate. I found someone that wanted my Yellow REAL BAD, and I found a VENTURE at the same time. I am so happy I did the switch.

Yes, the Venture is a bit more. But, you get the computer cable with it, plus several functional upgrades. I would recommend that ANYONE thinking about the Yellow think REAL HARD about the Venture. It is worth it to me!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

I would go up a step higher for the Legend which you can get <$175 now with Garmin's $50 rebate. With the legend you get the mapsource cds and load maps onto it. Plus, the Legend comes with a basemap. To my knowledge, the Venture just has a city basemap- no roads or bodies of water. But, if you value a digital compass and an altimeter over a map go for the Venture.

Everyone is bias towards their own unit and I am no exception. I too am using the Garmin GPS Map 76 and I think it is the greatest. I only want to add one point here that hasn't already been addressed and that is the reference to the canoe trip. The Map 76 claims to be waterproof. You may want to consider that option in whatever unit you get. One of the reasons I got this one is because it was waterproof. I am not about to test it just to prove a point but it makes me feel better about taking it into the "great unkown".

TrollGRG

I have not tried the other brands, but my Magellan Platinum works great. I like the mapping function -- shows me streams, hills, and roads. I use it in my airplane, my car, and my boat. It is also waterproof and floats. The compass and altimeter are handy little extras.

Spend more money than you think you afford. In the long run... you won't be disappointed and have to justify buying another one.

Shop around online and you may find a good deal. I bought mine at www.thegpsstore.com

Oh if only I knew then what I know now... color and big screens for the car is on my next wish list.

I was lucky enough to purchase a Sportrak Pro with mapping capabilities. It has been a great benefit for me. I travel on business all the time and geocache. By downloading maps of the area I am going to it makes it a lot easier to get directions to the area where the cache is hidden. You can imagine how much time could be wasted trying to find a cache if you don't have a clue how to get to a starting point. icon_biggrin.gif

Lost. Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

I was lucky enough to purchase a Sportrak Pro with mapping capabilities. It has been a great benefit for me. I travel on business all the time and geocache. By downloading maps of the area I am going to it makes it a lot easier to get directions to the area where the cache is hidden. You can imagine how much time could be wasted trying to find a cache if you don't have a clue how to get to a starting point. icon_biggrin.gif

Lost. Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

i just got a platinum from www.shopharmony.com for $259, which is the best price i have found so far. i know that it seems to good to be true, however, i went to the store myself (as it is close to my house) and checked to see if the units were legit and they are. the lowest i have seen it anywhere else is for $300. i thought it was a pretty good deal

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

I have the SporTrak Map. My only wish is I spent the little extra money and got the Pro.

I've heard of people not being to get sat lock while in the woods with a eTrex. I'll tell you right now, I can sit in my livingroom and get 3 or 4 satellite lock AND WAAS with my unit. In fact, to make the unit loose lock I have to put both hands over the antenna! The quad antenna is well worth it.

Garmin makes the GPS 76 series that has the quad antenna, as well, but I choose the SporTrak because of the price ( which I will speak about in a moment ) and the automatic averaging.

PRICE: I have a local West Marine store and they will match any price, including the internet. I found the Map at $169.95 with free shipping at advancedgps.com. They matched the price--which included tax!

Again, I would have spent the extra money and got the Pro version as I would have been able to download the 14m basemap for the Meridian to the unit instead of having only the 2m basemap that comes with it.

Have the Vista with the US Topo maps. With 24 mb, can fit a nice chunk of Florida in it. The topo maps have a decent amount of road on it, not enough to find a specific address, but more than adequate to find the best way to a cache in an unfamiliar area. I traded up from the Yellow and have been completely happy with the trade.

Goldkey

quote:

Any thoughts on this unit?

I really appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif

I started with the yellow Etrex, but jumped up to the Legend. Could have saved $100 if I had gotten the Legend first. The mapping is more than just a convenience to geocachers. Many is the time you will want to see available roads that provide access to the cache. Remember, though, you'll need to buy Garmin's software to get full mapping detail.

Bottom line? My opinion is if you can swing it, go for it. Now, on the other hand, if you can't swing it, will you hate geocaching? Will you not be able to do it? Will you be handicapped because you could not afford it? No. Invest in some good paper maps of your area and take good care of your navigator!

Just my .02,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:

I started with the yellow Etrex, but jumped up to the Legend. Could have saved $100 if I had gotten the Legend first. The mapping is more than just a convenience to geocachers. Many is the time you will want to see available roads that provide access to the cache. Remember, though, you'll need to buy Garmin's software to get full mapping detail.

Bottom line? My opinion is if you can swing it, go for it. Now, on the other hand, if you can't swing it, will you hate geocaching? Will you not be able to do it? Will you be handicapped because you could not afford it? No. Invest in some good paper maps of your area and take good care of your navigator!

Just my .02,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Zobo- Do YOU think you need maps? I go to lake of the woods every year, I used a garmin GPS 12 for the last 5 years and had no problems, but I have paper maps to find my way around also, on that lake ,like the BW, you HAD BEST know where you are!

this year I bought a garmin GPS76S, the maps are nice for local use, road/city nav ,and good on inland lakes,but lacked the detail I need on LOTW,HOWEVER, you can also by fishing hotspots maps(cd's)and blue charts that you can load into your gps at will. you can change them as often and however you want,NICE extra!

for now garmin does not have a LOTW bluechart,but I think the boundy waters are on the lake superior chart set,and those maps are as good as paper nav charts.

somthing to think about?!!

I went with the Magellan SporTrak Map.

And I did so for several reasons. One, the price. Two, some mapping capability but not loads of memory which would have put it out of my budget. Three, because it seemed like a nice, happy medium between the low end of the GPS spectrum and the high end.

Most of all, it's going to get me started geocaching and searching for benchmarks, and that's what it's all about isn't it?

Thanks again!

My first, and current, GPS is the Magellan Meridian Plat. At first I had wondered if I should have gone with the Garmin (both of my brothers have Garmins) because it would act weird around ground zero of a cache and struggles in canyon walls. After talking with my bro's and reading numerous posts this seems to plague both brands. So, since I can't fix these issues with any unit then I am happy with the fact that I saved about $100 by going with the Magellan.

[This message was edited by Ticklegrass on September 25, 2002 at 07:36 PM.]

quote:

I'm using a Venture right now and I love it!

I bought it instead of the Etrex since it comes with the data cable and the basic etrex doesn't.

When driving I hook the gps up to my laptop which has the delorme atlas software loaded on it.

I already had a couple notebook computers here so I decided not to spend the extra cash to get mapping built in to the gps when I knew I could hook it up to my notebook and still have that functionality.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:

I'm using a Venture right now and I love it!

I bought it instead of the Etrex since it comes with the data cable and the basic etrex doesn't.

When driving I hook the gps up to my laptop which has the delorme atlas software loaded on it.

I already had a couple notebook computers here so I decided not to spend the extra cash to get mapping built in to the gps when I knew I could hook it up to my notebook and still have that functionality.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-