Yipeeee!

Team Lyons

We have this lame safty promotion thing at work where you earn points every quarter and can use them to buy things out of a catalog that is provided by the promotion company. I've never given this program a thought until I noticed they had a palm pilot in there and I wanted to get one for geocaching. The model that was listed in the catalog for 200,000 points was a Palm M-130. So I sent my form in with my 200,000 points waited six plus weeks and finally today trhe box shows up at my door. I open it up and what do I see?? A brand new shinny Palm Tungsten E !!! Seeing that made my bad day good. Now I just have to figure out how to use it and which software I want to use for caching. :blink::mad::D

the M130 might be an inferior machine but it does have a serial port, whilst, if I remember correctly, thje Tungsten E doesn't. That means that the Tungsten can't talk to the majority of GPSrs - a big no-no in my view.

I could be wrong, and there may be a way round this, but I would seriously consider what you want your Tungsten to do and return it if it does not comply with your requirements, reject it.

I don't think you understand. That will not help you. The Tungsten E has no RS232 hardware built in unlike previous Palms. It will only communicate with other devices through the USB connector if the other device has a USB controller.

So whilst the m130 would talk to a GPSr using a serial connection, the Tungsten E simply does not have the hardware to do that. A USB to serial conenctor will not make any difference to this.

What you would need would be some special device on the Tungsten to mimic an RS232 serial interface through the USB port, and a hack running on the Tungsten to make use of it. These do not exist, but may one day.

Check out this discussion - (sorry the buttons on this page are not working properly so just cut and paste)

http://tinyurl.com/2m4sk

the M130 might be an inferior machine but it does have a serial port, whilst, if I remember correctly, thje Tungsten E doesn't. That means that the Tungsten can't talk to the majority of GPSrs - a big no-no in my view.

I could be wrong, and there may be a way round this, but I would seriously consider what you want your Tungsten to do and return it if it does not comply with your requirements, reject it.

Thanks for pointing this out. Doesn't bother me because I had no Idea I could hook the two up together anyway.

Fair enough, but a lot of people like the two to talk. I use the GPS with astronomy software on the Palm, use the GPS linked to the Palm for road navigation, use Cachemate to upload waypoint data to the GPS when I find I am in the area of a cahe, and it is nice having the Palm display positional info on a 1:50,000 map if your GPS does not do that.

I also use a serial connection to link my Palm to a hand scanner and OCR device whic his very useful i nlibraries. There are plenty of other Serial devices that wil ltalk to Palms - you just need ot know that all tgthese are unavailable to you. also, as the Tungsten is non-standard as far as the connector is concerned, most of the Palm specific add ons like keyboards etc will not work with it either.

As long as you are happy with this that's fine. It is just that a lot of people are talking about this device and I think few understand that the Tungsten E is far less versatile than most other Palm OS devices.

There are three simple stages -

1. Get GPX file sent to you as a premium GC.com member.

2. Load this into a converter program. CMConvert comes with the package and runs on Windows (Linuxand Mac versions are available), and choose which caches in the file you want and other selection choices.

3. Sync your Palm

Caches will be visible and editable in Cachemate.

If you are doing al lof this then can yo ube more specific about what you don't see and at what stage.