Spell Check Is Needed

kd7edh

Suggestion for improvement to geocaching.com - Spell Check

I think having a spell check is really needed. There are a couple of nice

solutions already out there. Check out http://spelchek.com/ This one is

nice because you don't have to redesign your whole site. All you need to

do is simply add the button to your page, and tell it which "textarea"

item you want the spell check to correct.

This could be added to the forums, the caching logs, or anywhere there is a text area that could have people misspelling things.

I think having a spell check is really needed. ...

This could be added to the forums, the caching logs, or anywhere there is a text area that could have people misspelling things.

There is no need for 'spell check.' We can review our writings prior to posting them. If an error slips through, we have the ability to edit the post. Everyone makes mistakes, and I find the occasional misspelling to be neither distracting nor offensive.

Posts replete with misspellings are another matter. The misspellings are often an excellent indication (or warning) of the overall quality of the post. 'A rose by any other name might smell as sweet,' but I see neither reason nor advantage to using a spell checker to 'polish s**t.'

I think having a spell check is really needed.  ...

There is no need for 'spell check.' We can review our writings prior to posting them. If an error slips through, we have the ability to edit the post. Everyone makes mistakes, and I find the occasional misspelling to be neither distracting nor offensive.

Posts replete with misspellings are another matter. The misspellings are often an excellent indication (or warning) of the overall quality of the post. 'A rose by any other name might smell as sweet,' but I see neither reason nor advantage to using a spell checker to 'polish s**t.'

...So a bad speller is a bad writer? Are you also saying if my post is poorly written it should not be as valued as a well-written post?

:blink:

Sometimes I don't even get close enough for the spell checker to figure out what I mean. :blink: And I always confuse the usage on to and too. Colons and semi-colons are kind of a mystery to me as well. The worst part is I know I learned all these things (except spelling, I've never mastered that) twice. Once in High School and again in collage.

No hope for me, I'll never make a meaningfull contribution and nobody will ever dechipher what I intend to say.

I vote yes for a spell checker.

I've always used people's spelling and grammar to help me determine whether I want to read what they have to say. If they don't care enough to take the time to try and at least write understandable English, than I'm not interested. :blink:

I totally agree! It's one thing to allow the odd typo to get through, but when I look at a post and the first sentence defies every grammatical convention in the English language... it's probably not something I am interested in. I don't see any need for someone to start adding features to help correct my lack of attention to detail!

Hey,

Instead of a spellchecker, how about a BIGGER posting box with BIGGER text. Seems to my problem......can't see what I typed.

JayBee

Try getting a bigger monitor.

I'm serious, even when using a 19'' monitor....the text is about 1/16'' tall inside the compose box.....

I guess I'll have to ask TPTB to see if that can be adjusted somehow.

JayBee

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer

in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is

aht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can

be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is

bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the

wrod as a wlohe.

Friknig amzanig huh?

Edited by webscouter495
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer

in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is

aht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can

be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is

bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the

wrod as a wlohe.

Friknig amzanig huh?

friknig sutipd. i don't have a college education. i have had to work for a living since i was 18, and i am 48 now. my grammar may not be perfect, but i at least try to spell correctly.

Spell checking wood knot solve the most common problems in logs, such as misuse of the word "discrete."

I dropped my eTrex from a cliff, when I retrieved it there were plastic shards and discrete components everywhere, I picked them up discreetly and went on my way.

In you're post, your not mentioning some of the other common mistakes that a spell checker will miss. People are bound too make mistakes, I make them to. This paragraph is a example. I use ieSpell, its an great spell checker.

Just my too scents.

Edited to mess up spelling, so their!

Edited by martmann

Well, as a self-thought World Champion Bad Speller( if they ever had an event, I'd take Gold, Silver and Bronze, no contest), I don't think that a spell checker is really needed in the forums. I find that the post seem to do alright as they are. However, I am in favor of a spell checker for the logs and cache pages. I've seen some lu-lus out there (and I've no doubt contributed to them as well :lol: ). Just my two cents.

PS: Second thought, and it's OT, but how about a smilie that's two cents? The prase gets used so often here that it might be god to have. Or at least somewhat amusing.

Edited by sea_dragon