Waas...

cwoper

Does anybody enable their WAAS and have any luck with it?Any tricks I should know about when using this feature.What do you think?I would be intrested in reading any thoughts on this subject.

Are you serious? No offense, really, are you serious? Do a forum search for all the threads about WAAS, and you'll have enough to keep you busy for a month! :lol:

To actually answer your question, yes, I can tell a difference....it makes my batteries drain faster. Other than that, WAAS is a total waste of my time. The two or three times I've actually let it set long enough to acquire WAAS (up to an hour once, two hours another time), it got me an accuracy reading of 9 or 10 feet. I get 12 to 16 feet normally without WAAS, and have had as low as 7 feet without it. The GPSr is sluggish on updates, etc with WAAS on, so for me it's a total waste of time....that's the story from Kansas.....

Strickly personal preference. I use it. No, you don't need it. Try it out, play with it on and off. See what you think. What it does is make corrections to things like signal delay which can throw your position off. Sometimes errors can be large or small depending on conditions. Sometimes WAAS makes large corrections, sometime very small corrections depending on if any corrections need to be made. At least learn its purpose and processes. An interesting bit of technology.

I have it on all the time. When comparing the accuracy of my yellow etrex, and my vista with WAAS enabled, I noticed that the vista was consitantly closer to the actual location of caches when both units were used simultaneously. They are both etrex series units from the same manufacturer, and they both use the same type of antenna. I made sure the yellow etrex was not in the "power save" mode which changes the mask angle and could account for decreased accuracy. The results are by no means scientific, just a personal observation. Still, If that extra bit of battery drain gets me a foot or two closer and saves a few minutes of searching under the watchful eyes of muggles, I'll happily leave the WAAS turned on.

Does anybody enable their WAAS and have any luck with it?Any tricks I should know about when using this feature.What do you think?I would be intrested in reading any thoughts on this subject.

Are you serious? No offense, really, are you serious? Do a forum search for all the threads about WAAS, and you'll have enough to keep you busy for a month! :blink:

To actually answer your question, yes, I can tell a difference....it makes my batteries drain faster. Other than that, WAAS is a total waste of my time. The two or three times I've actually let it set long enough to acquire WAAS (up to an hour once, two hours another time), it got me an accuracy reading of 9 or 10 feet. I get 12 to 16 feet normally without WAAS, and have had as low as 7 feet without it. The GPSr is sluggish on updates, etc with WAAS on, so for me it's a total waste of time....that's the story from Kansas.....

Yes Sparky,I'm serious.I have had a GPSr for 4 years and have recently bought a new model that has WAAS.Just wanting some recent input from my fellow Cachers.How serious are you? No offense Sparky,really,how serious are you? :D

Are you serious? No offense, really, are you serious? Do a forum search for all the threads about WAAS, and you'll have enough to keep you busy for a month! :D

Yes Sparky,I'm serious.I have had a GPSr for 4 years and have recently bought a new model that has WAAS.Just wanting some recent input from my fellow Cachers.How serious are you? No offense Sparky,really,how serious are you? :blink:

I'm sorry...I'm really never very serious about anything....I was just wondering if this was a serious post, what with all the latest tongue-in-cheek posts about locationless, virtuals, and traditionals, etc. I just figured since I'd seen you around the forums quite a bit, and you usually seemed to know what you were talking about, that maybe you were just having some fun. I didn't mean to intimidate or offend. Just struck me as odd. Anyway, I hope you got your questions answered.

In my opinion, Eraseek and Kerry seem to be the most knowledgable about WAAS, so I'd listen to them. I don't know where they get it, but it just sounds right! :mad: Take Eraseek's advice above: Try it out, see how it works, play with it.....you may like it, or you may not. WAAS isn't for everyone, so you'll still end up having to form your own opinions. Good luck and stay....ummmm.....serious? :bad: I know I won't! :o