Idiot Filter?

GeckoGeek

Is it possible to set up some kind of idiot filter to allow each user to block specific user's posts? It might make the forums a more civil and enjoyable place. While it's noble to ignore those who consistently bring out the worst in you, it's better to let your computer do the ignoring for you.

That's odd. There a topic here, but I don't see any messages. Hmmm.....

Actually, this has come up many times before (you didn't search first, did you?). Filters are pretty useless, because you just end up confused, reading replies to messages you have no knowledge of. And it won't block the quotes that appear in other peoples messages.

Edited by Prime Suspect
Is it possible to set up some kind of idiot filter to allow each user to block specific user's posts?  It might make the forums a more civil and enjoyable place.  While it's noble to ignore those who consistently bring out the worst in you, it's better to let your computer do the ignoring for you.

Four pages wasn't enough of a discussion about this?

What do you mean 4 pages? I only see 3 posts there.

Oops. I better disable some of these filters.

Wow. That makes a lot more sense now.

Okay, here's a higher-tech solution for those of you who use IE and don't have Jeremy's hand available:

First, download this.

Second, unzip it into your Windows directory (Sorry, it has to be in your Windows directory to work.)

Third, double-click on killfile.reg (in your Windows directory) and enter its contents into your registry.

Fourth, edit killfile.html (also in your Windows directory) to include the names of people you don't like. At the moment, the list consists of me and Jeremy, so you might want to change it. Remember to make sure the number in the line that says "NumNames=2" matches the number of names you've entered, and make sure that each BadNames entry has a different number. I know, it's cumbersome. Maybe version 2 will make it easier, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

That's it. Now you will have an ugly button on your toolbar, and a menu item on your Tools menu, that will let you hide posts from people you don't like. It doesn't run automatically, but it's better than nothing, right? Right? Hey, can anyone see this post?

Oh. Right. You'll need to restart IE. Don't forget that part.

Edited by parkrrrr
Filters are pretty useless, because you just end up confused, reading replies to messages you have no knowledge of. And it won't block the quotes that appear in other peoples messages.

Everybody keeps saying that, but it's not as true as you think it is. If everybody had kill lists, and used them, the truly obnoxious people would be in most people's kill lists, and there wouldn't be any replies to see (at least, no replies from people who weren't ALSO in your kill list.)

Is it possible to set up some kind of idiot filter to allow each user to block specific user's posts? It might make the forums a more civil and enjoyable place. While it's noble to ignore those who consistently bring out the worst in you, it's better to let your computer do the ignoring for you.

This has been discussed to death, Try using the search function.

I'm suprised nobody has pointed this out yet. In fact why hasen't anybody replied to this post at all? :lol: