What Constitutes Cool Cache Items

MrPeabody

I recently placed a cache that has received pretty glowing reviews from everyone who has found it, and from other cachers who are still out looking for it (it is a key cache).

But two of the three people who have found it have pretty much slammed the contents, saying they were unimpressive. I was hurt by the comments, especially because in *my* opinion, I thought the items were cool. Obviously I was wrong. It's doubly bad because as a new cache, I'd like people to see how cool it is, not that the contents are crappy.

A list of items in the cache:

• Eyeglasses repair toolkit
  • Magnetic spirit level
  • Kids bike horn (for any kids that came along)
  • Socket wrench set

And a few other items I can't remember.

In my defense, I spent almost $60 getting this cache ready, not including the time and research I had to go through in order to hide it.

So, my question to everyone:

When building a cache, what kind of items do you place inside, and approximately how much money do you spend on the items themselves?

Do you put in items specifically for the FTF?

When I'm out shopping for other things, I usually keep an eye out for cool cache swag. I'll buy it and keep it in a container for future use when setting up a cache.

Sometimes I'll go budget as well and see what I can find in the local dollar store. You can actually find some nice stuff in there if you look hard enough.

My caches (plus container) usually cost me $20-$30.

As for the people that slammed your contents: f(orget) 'em. If they don't like what's there tell them to trade up for the next people or just sign the log and don't trade. $60 is a nice investment in a cache.

If there's something in particular they are looking for, send them to Walmart.

(Edit: removed naughty word after getting my mouth washed out with soap...)

Edited by The Cheeseheads

It depends on the cache. I spent a lot on a rural cache on Aububon property because I knew the cache would not likely get plundered and I wanted a really nice cache there. I spent less on another rural that I thought might get plundered. I have a micro that took some expense to set up, but nothing in terms of trade items. Finally, I made a rather expensive Christmas cache with the idea that the items in it would be nicer than normal. Cheapest cache was around $20 and most expensive around $140. I think my cheaper rural was about $30.

Your items sound reasonable to me. I say don't get too worked up about it. Some people tend to have overly high expectations at times.

But two of the three people who have found it have pretty much slammed the contents, saying they were unimpressive.  I was hurt by the comments, especially because in *my* opinion, I thought the items were cool.  Obviously I was wrong.

You weren't wrong. Besides, I thought the lure of geocaching was getting outdoors, the hunt, and the feeling one gets when the cache is located. If anyone is participating in this hobby just to get "cool stuff" from a cache then they are (in my opinion) in the wrong hobby and should keep their adolescent remarks to themselves.

Edited by CheesyD

That actually sounds like some pretty nice stuff to have put in a cache - I'd be quite happy to find some of those. As The Cheeseheads said, forget about the people who complained (I know, not the exact words, but the same sentiment. :lol:) If they want to see better stuff in caches, they can hide caches for each other with the particular items they're looking for.

As for what I put in caches, I generally do hit the dollar store. I usually manage to find enough decent items to fill an ammo box, and a lot of their stock changes every couple of months, so there's new stuff to buy. Other than that, I'll try Wal-Mart, Target, and even Books-A-Million will sometimes have interesting bookmarks, pens, etc. that'll fit in caches.

I've put FTF prizes in two caches. One was a fairly long multicache, so the FTF cacher found a Best Buy giftcard in the logbook waiting on him. The other was a goofy cache with a goofy name, so the FTF got a somewhat goofy prize - an 'I'm #1' ribbon (that was found at the dollar store. :huh:)

My 4 caches so far have been around $30 each. I am not much for first-to-find swag and thus tend to keep all of the items about the same cost. I figure that most of the swag is for kids -- assuming that the cache is kid-accessible which has been true to now -- and not for the grownups (we can buy our own stuff) and thus I tend to be heavy on the kid-oriented prizes.

BTW: Your cache sounds good. Don't worry about those who said otherwise.

Edited by RPW

That spirit level thing looks awesome. I'd be stoked to find one of those. I usually try to put some sort of FTF prize. In my first multi, i had a brand new flask someone had given me. I don't really have to much cash to spend, so I dont usually put to many expensive things in them. Usually my little caches just have little toys and stuff. Everyone seems to like them.

:lol: How can they rag on your cache contents when they haven't found the cache? That's almost as bad as logging a cache find when you didn't. Your cache sounds pretty good. $60 bucks on a cache... Whew.. that's a little bit more than I useually spend. Maybe $10 - 15, including the container, but never $60. Limited income means you have to improvise and most of my cache contents are not broken down Mctoys either.

:huh: Anyway, just ignore them. If the notes bother you that much, just delete them. You own the cache and you may dictate which notes may remain on your cache page, and which ones will go.

Edited by Hogarth

Your cache sounds pretty good to me. If I found that lot, I'd think I hit the jackpot. I try to put in a variety of items costing anywhere from a few bucks to less than a buck, so that finders can "trade fair" with whatever they brought. It isn't supposed to be an expensive hobby, and (in my neighborhood anyway) kids seem to dominate the trading.

Looks like you're in BC, Canada. That means you already have 3 strikes against you, and your cache.

First, I'm guessing you mean 60 Canadian dollars, right? That's what.... $5US?

Second, you got those guys up there hiding caches worth $1000's, so the locals are probably a little spoiled.

Third....well your in Canada!

J/K, really. Sounds like you put a reasonable amount into your cache. Most of us don't geocache to turn a profit, we do it for the fun. For me, the fun finding the cache doesnt change depending on what I find in the cache. Don't sweat it.

I try to select a variety booty-nuggets so that there is something for almost anyone to enjoy. I usually try to put in a first finders prize to suit the theme of the cache.

However, you can't please everyone. (sigh!) There's always someone out there ready to complain about the most trivial of things. Don't sweat it.

:lol:

Happy caching and stuff!

I looked up your cache and I suspect carleenp is right that it was plundered. Your original contents sound great. I agree with others that the hunt is the most fun. I usually take something junky (I make an exception for lapel pins) and leave something decent to improve the cache. My daughter who sometimes caches with me loves to trade. I assume that most kids love to trade and most adults don't care so I tend to stock my own caches with mostly kids items, which tend to be inexpensive - about $10 to $15 to stock a cache.

you only had 4 items in your cache? How big was the box? In an ammox box I have generally see about 10 or so items. More vareity = less complaints. That said most "adults" aren't in it for the dollar store stuff you find in a cache box. I almost always buy my stuff from the Dollar Store (most people around here do). I don't see the point hiding 100's of dollars worth of stuff in a box in the woods. :huh: Most of my caches have been about $15-20 to place. The one time I left a FTF prize in a school themed cache, I left a Gc.com pencil. :lol:

95% of the stuff I put in is for kids. Most adults log a TNLN anyway. Some of the "adult items" I have put in caches have been:

Multi Purpose Tool

Scrap Booking Itemsk

Glue Gun

Wind Chimes

Decals

Books

WG$

Some cool things for adults I have seen as trade items are:

Pins

Disposable Camera

Decal/Bumper Sticker

Stress Ball

$2WG

Nothing wrong with your items.. If people are unhappy with the items in a cache, they should leave something, or a few somethings, and take nothing. Not just complain. Kids are usually way easier to please. The dollar store here gets close outs, or whatever they call it, from the regular stores. So you can get some nice stuff for cheap. The latest stuff I got from there was some Magic Kits and Tech Deck toys for kids. As long as your cache isnt full of junky stuff like half a deck of cards, a dirty golfball (I dislike seeing those especially when you have seen 3 or 4 exactly like them on the trail in) or opened McToys dont sweat it. Some people will always complain.

Maybe the cache was partially depleted/plundered by someone who did not log it?

That would be hard to do as the cache container is a steel-reinforced, locked container requiring a key to open. But it is possible that someone who found one of the keys took more than they were entitled to... however, I doubt it in this case.

Interesting to see the cache cost estimates. I hope these numbers don't intimidate people on lower budgets and discourage them from placing containers. Even $20 per adds up. Lets see, $20.00 x 50 cache placements.. hummm... $1000.00. Halve the placements and you are still looking at $500.00.

Being from a rural area and traveling frequently through rural areas I'd rather see 20 $5.00 caches than 5 $20.00 caches. We just don't get enough new placements. Even a $5.00 ammo can can make a stand with $5.00 or $10.00 worth of goods. Maybe in urban areas there is such an abundance that the lesser efforts stand out. I appreciate the well stocked caches and the thought, effort and contribution to the sport they represent. I also appreciate the more economical placements.

Cool items? Recently I've been pairing colorful carabiners with either cool aluminum bottle openers or mini gel pens of the same color as the carabiner. I find all these items at just over a buck a piece. The pens and bottle openers came with chains and I hooked them to the carabiner. The particular combination makes no sense but both items are practical and they look great as a color matched combo when placed in a mini ziplock. Maybe I'm part crow. A Starbucks card can also make a good first-finders trade item.

My apologies if I'm repeating something here, I glanced at the responses.

I think it's ridiculous that someone would refer to a cache as lame, I am grateful for every cache I've done and try to thank the owner in the log & on gc.com.

How unbelievably rude someone must be to whine about the fact that someone has done them a favor.

I once heard someone say that Earth is a prison colony, BS like this moves me closer to believing it.

I try to select a variety booty-nuggets so that there is something for almost anyone to enjoy. I usually try to put in a first finders prize to suit the theme of the cache.

However, you can't please everyone. (sigh!) There's always someone out there ready to complain about the most trivial of things. Don't sweat it.

:lol:

Happy caching and stuff!

Eeew! Booty nuggets? That's not right.

Anyway... regarding that cache. Sounds like you put some decent swag in there. I could see if you cleaned out your junk drawer, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I read the logs and they didn't flat out flame you. And one of them actually added some more stuff to it. I wouldn't take it personal. The important thing is that they all loved the cache. I have to say that is a great idea. I guess they feel with such a great and unique idea the swag should be extra special too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think you should just blow it off.

I spend about $10-20 to put together a cache, not including a container and its preparation (camo paint, stenciling, cache stickers, etc...). Here is a partial list of stuff I've placed in caches:

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

Swiss Army knives (now banned :lol: )

water color sets

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

music CD's

blank RW CD's

cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travell packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

bags of balloons

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

foreign money

rolls of film

lighters

Silly Putty

Leatherman type multi tools (now banned :huh: )

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins, patches and compasses

Edited by briansnat

I never go to a cache expecting to find expensive stuff. Never. If there is something expensive, I don't take it. I do this stuff for the exercise and the fun, not with the expectation of getting rich. If I want good stuff, I buy it. I think the most expensive thing I've ever taken was a plastic tape measure, just because it was something practical. Mostly I take rocks, pins, etc. I recycle a lot of stuff through caches. I agree that I prefer more, not more expensive, caches. IMO, anyone who whines about a cache not having wonderful swag is just a whiner, and I have no time for him/her. Ignore the jerks, Mr. Peabody.

Why is the sub title for this thread $30 budget and then you say you spent $60

I put $30 as a rough budget amount because that is what I would consider to be a fair amount for creating a cache.

I spent $60 creating a special cache that had extra components to it, which made it unusually expensive.

I read the logs and they didn't flat out flame you.  And one of them actually added some more stuff to it.

This is true, but the statement that hurt was "...the actual contents of the cache were a serious letdown". Especially when I had put so much work into it and the feedback I had gotten so far was that it was an excellent cache.

Actually, the most recent finder changed his comments after their initial posting, which was a little more critical of the cache contents.

But you are right... you can't please everyone. The items that were in there were all brand new and items that, when going through the store I bought them at, I thought to myself: "Cool! I'd want that."

Thanks all.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by MrPeabody

Your initial cache loot looks just fine to me.

I agree that the contents were likely plundered, key or not. In the past, I've fully restocked one of my caches and visited to drop off a TB after two visitors, and it's been EMPTY. The key-TB's make it harder, but certainly not impossible.

I've stopped putting information on cache contents in the cache description and have stopped adding notes when I restock the contents. I figure it's much better for a would-be-plunderer to see a note from a previous finder saying that the cache contents are sparse than to see one from me saying that it's full again.

Concerning the budget scaring off future hiders: we don't all intend on hiding 50 caches. I'm focusing on quality. :blink:

I try and put some nice items in and then some cheaper items in. I put in $20 to $30 worth of goodies. In my caches, it seems like pet toys are grabbed up first. Now that it's winter, packets of Hot Hands are taken.

In my latest cache I've put in 2 Hard Rock Cafe buttons, and I think they'll be grabbed first, but I've been surprised before.

I've been getting lapel pins from the US Post Office to put in caches, and I think they are great for $3.00. They have several pins, one is a flag honoring vets, and another is the the famous 911 picture of the firemen raising the flag, then there's a couple more that I have put in caches. They are really nice pins and are popular.

I think it's really rude for somebody to complain about cache contents. If I find a cache that is nothing but junk, I just try put a couple of nice things in it for the next cacher to find, and don't complain about it.

I never go to a cache expecting to find expensive stuff. Never. If there is something expensive, I don't take it. I do this stuff for the exercise and the fun, not with the expectation of getting rich. If I want good stuff, I buy it. I think the most expensive thing I've ever taken was a plastic tape measure, just because it was something practical. Mostly I take rocks, pins, etc. I recycle a lot of stuff through caches. I agree that I prefer more, not more expensive, caches. IMO, anyone who whines about a cache not having wonderful swag is just a whiner, and I have no time for him/her. Ignore the jerks, Mr. Peabody.

Most long time geocachers are just in it for the hunt. Many no longer bother trading, so the contents aren't an issue. But a lot of people geocache with their kids and the kids expect to find "a treasure". Also, new geocachers are often into the treasure hunt aspect of the sport, so stocking the cache well for these two groups is nice.

This being said, anybody who would complain about the contents in their log is simply an ingrate. I agree with Nightpilot. Ignore these people. It seems you put more thougt into your caches than most, so keep up the good work and Illegitimis non carborundum (or Noli arrogantium iniurias pati, for the pedants among us).

Most long time geocachers are just in it for the hunt. Many no longer bother trading, so the contents aren't an issue. But a lot of people geocache with their kids and the kids expect to find "a treasure". Also, new geocachers are often into the treasure hunt aspect of the sport, so stocking the cache well for these two groups is nice.

This being said, anybody who would complain about the contents in their log is simply an ingrate. I agree with Nightpilot. Ignore these people. It seems you put more thougt into your caches than most, so keep up the good work and Illegitimis non carborundum (or Noli arrogantium iniurias pati, for the pedants among us).

What he said!

Briansnat and others say it good. Afterall it should be about the hunt/adventure and not what you find inside.

I am curious if you have gone back to check up on your cache to see if it was in fact plundered or if someone else had visited the cache but not logged their find online yet.

I noticed some people put high priced items in caches ie $20 items...are they meant to be traded fairly/traded up or just plain traded for anything? I don't usually carry items with me to trade valued at $20, as I am sure many others don't either. I do occassionally have an item or two valued at a few dollars, just in case, but I find I usually just wind up leaving them in another cache whether I trade or not.

I noticed some people put high priced items in caches ie $20 items...are they meant to be traded fairly/traded up or just plain traded for anything? I don't usually carry items with me to trade valued at $20, as I am sure many others don't either. I do occassionally have an item or two valued at a few dollars, just in case, but I find I usually just wind up leaving them in another cache whether I trade or not.

When I leave nicer items, I do not expect a fair trade in terms of monetary value. All I ask is that the trader leave something they think another might enjoy. There are plenty of inexpensive items out that that other people will like and that is fair enough for me. Often more expensive items are left as special prizes for the first finder etc. and I think most cachers would not expect an equal trade in terms of value for those.

Also, around here a cache that starts nicely stocked tends to stay that way much longer. People here tend to put more thought into trading when it is for nicer items. We also have some people here that tend to leave nice items but rarely take anything.

Edited by carleenp
When I leave nicer items, I do not expect a fair trade in terms of monetary value. All I ask is that the trader leave something they think another might enjoy. There are plenty of inexpensive items out that that other people will like and that is fair enough for me.

Carleenp, this is an entirely different concept, than the current "trade even or trade up" concept we are currently supposed to follow. But I like it, and have often thought it is a better way to go. I think Geocaching would be much improved if this concept were adopted. Currently it is futile to try to be generous by leaving something especially nice in a cache (maybe on a milestone find or something) because the only ones who will take it are the few that happen to have brought something equally as nice, or cheaters.

I would like to see a new etiquette adopted: Take anything regardless of value, and leave something decent regardless of value.

If this etiquette were adopted then it would be a little more like a "Treasure Hunt", and players would occasionally have the ability to be generous to the surprise and delight of subsequent finders, who could comfortably leave a nice dollar store item in exchange for a special $10.00 item. (I am aware that this opens up a whole other topic - perhaps best for another thread)

Edited by seneca
Currently it is futile to try to be generous by leaving something especially especially nice in a cache (maybe on a milestone find or something) because the only ones who will take it are the few that happen to have brought something equally as nice, or cheaters.

I don't think it has to be futile. On one cache, I stated on the page that people did not have to trade equally in terms of monetary value. What is nice about that cache is that a decent number of people have left some really neat items in trade. I am told by a recent finder (one who tends to leave items and not take items) that there is a very nice clock in there right now that he thinks is handmade. I think the request to leave something others will like results in some unique and nice trade items. Sure, it also contains lots of little stuff too, but that is fine. The little things can make people happy as well.

On a couple of other occasions, I have put something unique or more expensive in a cache and left a note on it saying that it was a surprise for the next finder and they didn't have to leave something of equal value for it. Where I was able to track it, the item left in trade was always OK with me. But they would have to leave an obviously lame item (broken toy etc.) for me to feel it was unfair since I don't put better items in caches expecting anything. I just view it as a gift to the next cacher or a contribution to the sport.

I believe in coolness not cash value as a judge of geoswag. I do adhere to a view that categories of items are non subjective and should be adhered to, especially in a theme cache. (If its a toy cache and I leave a screwdriver, I am not doing a good thing.)

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder, but as Carleen said, think about geoswag as cool when its something someone else would actually like to find. I found some miniscrewdirver sets on Ebay's wholesale lots site. They were about $30 for the lot, about $1.50 a piece. Many people have found them and complemented me for them. Others would not like them and they aren't for all caches.

So what I am trying to say is don't sweat the cranks who b*tch about your geoswag, if it's something that you would see as cool (assuming that you have typical tastes), then use it.

BTW: I would love to find a spirit level in a cache (perhaps you could stock one here :blink: )

Currently it is futile to try to be generous by leaving something especially especially nice in a cache (maybe on a milestone find or something) because the only ones who will take it are the few that happen to have brought something equally as nice, or cheaters.

I don't think it has to be futile. On one cache, I stated on the page that people did not have to trade equally in terms of monetary value. What is nice about that cache is that a decent number of people have left some really neat items in trade.....

Carleenp, this is exactly what I am getting at. You decided to change the normal rules for this cache - to something along the lines that I suggested - and, like I would expect, it actually improved the cache! People are more inclined to leave something nice if they are given the opportunity to be generous. I would like to see your special rules adopted as the general rule for all cache trading. Should we start a lobby for this on another thread?

A $30 bill would rock as a First Finder's prize!  :blink:

They don't make such a thing, whats with you and 30. You mentioned 30 alot when you were trying to get an exterra out of us and now you ask for a 30 bill

My water bill's about $30...do you want that?

I try to put a little bit of everything in my caches (okay, so I've only got two so far, but I've only been at it a couple of months)...and I'll always try to make a cache better for the next guy. Something for both kids and adults is important IMO.

For first finders prizes, so far I've left a $20 bill wrapped around a stack of monopoly money (geo-cash) and a dream catcher ("dream-cacher").

I'd much rather put more effort into the location/hunt for the cache, though, since the contents will be transient anyway.

I agree that the hunt and a good location are the best kinds of caches, regardless of the swag. But on a new cache that I just placed, I decided to designate it a 'Nice Swag cache,' as a thank you to the Central Indiana cachers who's hides have so enhanced my free time for the last 6 months.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...47-51a935c17817

I have done 'normal' placements, and have no problem with the concept. It's just that the location of the new cache is so special, I felt it deserved nice swag. I have seen other 'theme' caches that requested you leave something blue, for example. Another requested only 'heart' items. And a third spcifically asked for 50 year old foreign coins only. So my theme is nice swag. Why not?

Without reading all of the other logs, here are two typical caches that I have recently put together (one was given away as a prize at a geopicnic that we hosted):

Cache 1

orienteering compass

emergency fluorescent tube lights (3)

emergency blankets (2)

emergency steel whistle

LCD flashlight keychains (3)

Hot Wheels cars (3)

Casio watch (1)

Cache 2

swiss multi-tools (2 - but we are not allowed to do those anymore)

pocket 10X magnifier

LCD flashlight keychains (3)

miscellaneous kids toys

miscellaneous hand made key chains from some other caches

tire pressure gauge

For First to Find, I go with something that costs nothing except a bit of my time -- I collect small smooth stones from a local beach, paint the GC logo or some other thing on them, and write on the name of the cache and "First to Find" in black india ink. No dollar value -- just nice keep sake items.

This being said, anybody who would complain about the contents in their log is simply an ingrate. I agree with Nightpilot. Ignore these people.

Absolutely! As my geocaching buddy MissAngele says, "Some people just have no cache couth." <_<

I usually spend about $25 on my caches, including the container. I like themed caches, so sometimes stocking mine take a bit of time and $$ searching out cool loot. One of mine has fancy chopsticks, another has skeleton keys, another has tiny Russian matryoshkas. I make geocaching buttons so I usually include a few buttons designed especially for the cache for the first few finders (see Night Odyssey).

The items you list in your original cache are handsome gifts. Shrug it off and don't let their lack of cache couth spoil your fun. Cache on.

Bah! Geocaching isn't about finding cool loot. It's a bonus when you do. I usually only look for something to take in trade that my kids might like to play with, so I don't expect much.

Here's a cache I'm putting together (the theme is stuff that glows in the dark or otherwise lights up):

• Glow-in-the-dark suction-cup ball.
  • Glow-in-the-dark wiggly ball.
  • Glow-in-the-dark stars and planets.
  • Mini-car light-up keychains.
  • 4-inch glow sticks (glow 12+ hours).
  • Mystery first-to-find prize (can't spoil it <_<)

Total cost of starting swag: $15.

I LOVE a well planned and thought out cache! My kids think it is great! My favorite and most memorable caches are those that were both well planned and stocked. I love the hunt, but I am also a sucker for cool goodies!

I usually spend every bit of $50 to $60 on my themed caches. That is just to start them. I have a couple that I keep stocked. One is called Tundra Treasures and I order stuff from my home town of Alaska when it runs low on cool goodies.

On the other hand, I would NEVER say squat about the choices of trading trinkets left in a cache. At least nothing negative, compliments are always appreciated by the cacher that took the time and effort to place it for the rest of us to find!

Take the time to say something nice, WRITE a GOOD LOG NOTE and give credit to the guy that got you off your hiney and out on the trail in the first place! SHEESH! Ignore those with ZERO CAHE COUTH! Kepp on doing what your doing! The rest of us cachers will love it! :-)