GPS for 12 year old son

SummerEve

I would like to purchase a system for my son (12) and of course Hubby..think it would be good "bonding". Both love "gadets" and son loves "strategy war games" so I am thinking with would be perfect. I am not thinking they would be going ..far.... we live near an army post that apparently has many caches.....

What kind of unit should I purchase... that will provide the basics and what other "things" should I get for their "starter kit"

Thanks!!

SummerEve

The Garmin 72 is a new unit that boasts a big value for the $150 or so price... not into the mapping unit capabilities but it seems like it's got bang for the buck. My first unit was a Garmin 12 which I lost in the woods recently...so if you want a real cache to hunt you could head to Riverdance cache and try your luck....I think you might have better luck in the parking lot and the road heading north...I'm pretty sure I must have left it on a bumper or hood. The 12 was a great little unit, I abused the hell out of that thing and it was always forgiving... I hope it rests in peace now or has a more agile owner ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by SummerEve:

we live near an army post that apparently has many caches.....

Which post? I retired several years ago myself!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I just bought 2 of the Garmin Etrexs for Christmas gifts to my 10 year old granddaughter and 13 year old grandson(2 different families). The adults in the families have Magellan sportrak Pro and Magellan Meridian. But I think the Etrex is a good beginner one for them to get started.

I paid $99 at amazon (free shipping) last saturday but heard today that Target is going to have an after Thanksgiving promotion for $89.

Good luck.

I have a 13-year old son and when I got him a basic eTrex last year he used it once. Something about a bunch of coordinates didn't really do it for him. If you really want to get a great present, I recommend a Magellan Sportrak Map so he can actually see where he is on a Map! I think TigerGPS.com has em for about $170. There's a $50 rebate too, so if you buy software and 2 units that's not so bad....