What injuries this summer?

Tacomahunter

>>On a recent hunt, I got something on my ankle and foot. Looks like poison ivy but the bubbles/blisters were bigger - up to 1/4" tall. Stranger yet was the areas affected were covered with socks. Each bubble was round and separated but near others, as though individual bites maybe. VERY itchy.<<

Sounds more like poison Oak or Sumac. My brother in law had that last month. Kinda looks like burn blisters, it's a very ugly rash.

Check this site

Ran into a spider that didn't appreciate the fact that I bent my arm up on him. He took offense and bit me. That was two weekend ago. Its has just started to heal.

Be Safe. Good Caching. Hope To Meet You On The Trail Someday.

BassetSlave

BASSETSLAVE

-----------

If you have the nose of a basset there is no cache that you can not find and you are never lost.

anibasset1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by garmini:

_>>Sounds like fire ants. Do you have those where you live? I've heard that ammonia applied immediately stops the itching and blistering, but I have never tried this myself.

Never heard of fire ants. Would they be in Virginia?

quote:
Originally posted by TeamX40:

>>On a recent hunt, I got something on my ankle and foot. Looks like poison ivy but the bubbles/blisters were bigger - up to 1/4" tall. Stranger yet was the areas affected were covered with socks. Each bubble was round and separated but near others, as though individual bites maybe. VERY itchy.<<

Sounds more like poison Oak or Sumac. My brother in law had that last month. Kinda looks like burn blisters, it's a very ugly rash.

Could that get under my socks? Most were on my ankle just below sock line but others were on my foot.

Thanks for the link, I'm surfing it now.

Check this http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/faq.html

>>Could that get under my socks? Most were on my ankle just below sock line but others were on my foot.<<

Yes it can. We're dealing with an oil that can cover your socks and then be rubbed through simply by walking. The sock rubs down your foot when you take it off. Your hand touches the sock, your pants leg, etc, etc. The website shows how it can even be carried by pet fur.

However I can only guess what it is based on the description and you really shouldn't rely on some friendly stranger's diagnoses on the internet. Go see a doctor.

[This message was edited by TeamX40 on August 18, 2003 at 07:48 PM.]

not an injury with geocaching but it has slowed my caching down. i recently was doing some work on my house taking a cable line down( i should mention i work for the cable company and have done this thousands of times with no problem) i was on a ladder at about second story window height. i cut the cable line and it snapped which spun me around and i ended up falling off the ladder. at first i thought i was fine i got right up and walked around. but a week later i'm still hurting and needing to go back to the doc for a second opinion.

"If you mess with a Porcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"

icon_frown.gif My dog suffered heat stroke on Sunday and almost died. The heat stroke triggered DIC, which is fatal in over 90% of cases. My dog is 11 years old and a greyhound. He had been drinking water, and we cooled him down after he collapsed, but heat stroke is fast and often fatal in dogs, and it's going to take a long time for him to be back to normal (I suspect nerve damage and a possible foreleg injury, but we're worried most about his soft tissue first).

I think he stayed cause we didn't want to say goodbye yet.

We were heading to a couple of geocaches in Sibley Park (in the Oakland Hills in California). Needless to say, we did not make it. It will be a little while before I'm back out geocaching, cause I need to take care of my pup first.

I've also had some asthma from geocaching at high altitudes, but no serious injuries so far.

Be careful out there, folks and pups. You can get a lot worse than poison oak.

I just finished 3 weeks of poison oak and I have a great method but not for the sensitive. I, too, tried prescription creams, a shot from the doctor, etc. A couple times a day I washed the areas with Fels Naptha Soap and then Palmolive dishwashing liquid to remove the oils that make it spread. Then I diluted regular cleanser with bleach and applied it. This took away the itch and dried it up. I tried diluted Lysol, baking soda w/ vinegar and aloe vera, regular diluted bleach, & more. They helped for awhile but the cleanser seemed to be the best if you can stand the smell. Washing and dissolving the oils are very important and help stop the spread. Wear lose clothing and good luck.

My "I should have given it a rest at 400" cache--on number 401 (GCGMKT), I was looking at likely hiding spots near the coordinates, and felt a sting on my leg. By the time I realized what was happening, I was in a swarm of yellowjackets, and got at least a dozen stings before I got out to safety. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but there I was in about the most pain I've ever been in during my life, and I still went on to find the cache (but after all, I did not go through all of that just to post a purple frowny face DNF). Needless to say, I did find out that a non-allergic person can get at least 12 or 13 stings without suffering any serious long last effects, other than the itching at the bite sites. I've also found out all a person would want to know about wasps, hornets,and yellowjackets through the internet since I got home, both from the m.d. sites and the nature sites.

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif

Ditto to nettles & brambles. I would add a bonk on the head from a branch, but luckily I forgot to take my MTB helmet off when I trudged into the undergrowth, so not much impact there.

The ability of bracken to leave scratches on bare legs never ceases to amaze me. It's not that scratchy, surely? I think there may be a slight allergic reaction involved. Oh well, at least I've not had a tick off the bracken yet.

At current counts, I have about *40* gnat bites from last weekend. They are driving me mad, and costing me a fortune in Anthisan cream. The SO has no bites at all. Admittedly he was looking after the bikes whilst I plunged into the bracken etc, but he could at least have been bitten once or twice.

What on earth are chiggers?

m&myellow.gif I am pleased to say on behalf of my $75 hospital co-pay, that I have not had ANY head injuries this Summer. And I wasn't caching when I romanced that Black Widow near Jaekel Cache. (I have a history of hitting my head on bottoms of massive tree limbs, while entering vehicles during 7-cache trip -- and while closing my own garage door.) I have not, however, suffered ANY injuries from tripping over the 4 cache boxes on my front porch.

[This message was edited by C.T. on August 27, 2003 at 03:25 PM.]

quote:
What on earth are chiggers?

check this:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html

My husband and I got chiggers a couple of weeks ago. They get EVERYWHERE. I was wearing pants and they still got all over my legs, stomach and back. They look like little red spots or bumps and itch like CRAZY. Putting clear nail polish will help clear it and stop the itching. Its awful though.