What injuries this summer?

Tacomahunter

It has been a great summer and with it being my first summer caching I have experianced some not so serious injuries. Here is my list so far:

1. Poison oak and ivy 2x

2. 2 ticks

3. 1 twisted ankle

4. PLENTY of mosquito bites

5. 2 bee attacks!

6. Tons of scratches and scrapes

7. Nice sunburn

8. Flat tire on the Tacoma

9. First pinstripes on the Tacoma icon_frown.gif

Beats couch potato butt!!

The usual:

scrapes/scratches

my hiking stick keeps me from twisting ankles or worse.

Mosquito bites

deer adn black flies. Boy those black flies are the worst! I'll take mosquitoes over those.

Thank god no poison oak...certainly been near the stuff alot, but I'm real careful.

One flat tire

That's about it.

Major tumbleweed off my mountain bike in early June. Minor scrapes healed quickly, but my knee is still bothering me. Doctor shot some pictures but nothing shows up.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

Broke thumb while playing soccer.

While geocaching:

Several mild cases of poison ivy

Two attached ticks

Numerous scrapes and cuts (gotta stop wearing shorts)

Impaled my hand on the stump of a reed. Left a good deal of blood behind and on the floor of my car

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Well.... Two asthma attacks (my pulse was well over 140 after the second one)... four near falls off the breakwall and into lake erie... not to mention my encounter with the swarm of mosquitos and the bug I ate... (luckily no stings, I'm allergic to mosquitos) But, alas, I've only gone to one cache this summer, so that's the extent of my injuries from caching..

I did twist my ankle and hurt my bicep muscle Saturday at the family reunion, though.

Injuries to date:

1. The usual scratches (some rather deep) from the caches in blackberry bushes.

2. Skinned hand from falling after tripping on hidden log in the ivy (none poisonous type thank god)

3. Multiple blows to the head from overhanging branches.

4. Couple of blisters

5. Stinging nettles

6. 1 tick

7. Holly bush worked itself lose and tagged me in the face.

8. Sunburn

9. Depression caused by not finding a cache that was found the next day by some one's 7 year old.

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

Funny this thread comes up, I just back from the ER! Cellulitis on my ankle contracted through laserations received from geocaching and Mt Biking. I've also had one case of heat exhaustion. That's it from this summer, some of the places I've been and trails I've ridden I'm suprised my first ER visit was in late July, and for an infection at that. No I don't consider tick's injuries unless you actually contract something from it.

This space for rent

quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Julie:

Poison oak 3 times!

AAHHHHH!!!! Itch, itch, itch!!!

Ed

There is this stuff called Zenfell or something Zen at your local Rx. It's supposed to take away the itch of poison oak and ivy within 30 seconds and get rid of the rash over night. I plan on getting some next time I get poison.

Well I've only been geocaching for less than a week so far (totally hooked, however) and so far I haven't sustained any injuries. I did however come home this past Sunday from an afternoon with plenty of mosquito bites and chiggers, plus at least 5 ticks came along for the ride. Fortunately none of the ticks had settled down for dinner yet.

I also took my 10-year old nephew out with me last Saturday. Theh poor guy threw up before we left (but refused to sit out), cut his toe on a stick or something and got stung by a wasp - all for a cache we weren't able to locate! He's quite the trooper however and we continued on to another one and were able to find it. Help me! I've created a micro-cacher!

Having moved here from Huntsville Alabama, I can say this about the Seattle area:

No Ticks

No Chiggers

No Water Moccasins (Cottonmouths)

No 95 deg 95% days

No Poison Oak or Ivy

Few Mosquitos

No Kudzu

No Coral Snakes

Very few venemous spiders.

I've done Hare & Hound runs in So Cal, Huntsville & Seattle... Seattle is likely the most tame place in the world.

Hukt un fonix werkt fer mee

quote:
Having moved here from Huntsville Alabama, I can say this about the Seattle area:

No Ticks

No Chiggers

No 95 deg 95% days

No Poison Oak or Ivy

Few Mosquitos

No Kudzu

No Coral Snakes

No sun.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

We've been geocaching for more than a year and have 400 finds. On July 5th while doing maintenance on one of our own caches I slipped on some mud and fractured my wrist. We had to hike 3/4 of a mile back to the truck. It took one titanium plate 8 or 10 screws and 2 pins to put it together.

TerraTrekkers

=[icon_smile.gif]==[8)]=

Jim & Deb

Managed to get a nice case of poison ivy (face, arms and a leg) on only my second geocaching outing! Had to get some pills from the doctor to clear it up. I'll wear a long sleeve shirt next time and bring some poison ivy medicine next time!

2 ticks imbedded, countless ticks on my clothes since I started eating spicier foods; plenty of mosquito bites; itchweed; and unexplained cuts and bruises. I work in sheetmetal, so it's hard to tell what cuts I pick up at work and what I pick up by crawling through the woods.

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif

none. i do not count insect bites, embedded ticks, poison ivy, abrasions or even small punture wounds.

if it didn't require the attention of the ER it isn't an injury.

actually, i have been loaded into an ambulance for things i do not consider to be injuries. i'm sorry, but if you get run over by a dodge durango on a state highway and all you have to show for it is a pressure blister the size of a quarter, you're uninjured. but they still package you to take pictures anyway.

that said, i will whine about paper cuts. i'm a real baby about some things. and a head cold? you'd swear i was dying.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:

No Ticks

No Chiggers

No 95 deg 95% days

No Poison Oak or Ivy

Few Mosquitos

No Kudzu

No Coral Snakes

No sun.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

There's Poison Oak at Seward Park and some along the south Sound region....Lincoln Park and further south. Not as prevalent, but it's around. If you go to southern/eastern washington, you'll find more of it.

Some cachers swear they've seen Poison Ivy at my Norway Hill cache. I going to have to go out and investigate.

WElcome to our area, Mark 42!

OK, I got you all beat.

Lost footing climbing over a downed tree and fell hard to the ground. Unfortunatly I was wearing my GPSr on a lanyard around my neck. The GPSr ended up between me and the ground fracturing two of my ribs. Took ten minutes to get my breath back. What was weird I didn't have a lot of pain untill two days later.

(GPSr still working)

What I had so far..

Stinging nettles

The usual scratches

Couple of blisters (From a 13 Mile hike)

Heat exhaustion (From the same hike)

And the Big one.

I popped my ACL , MCL, fractured the bone in my Knee. After two surgeries on my knee and on a crutches for two months I'm good to go..

1. Pinstriping

2. Tons of scratches from getting myself stuck a few times

3. Attacked by cholla at least 6 times

4. Hantavirus (could be...went mtn biking in the desert and became quite sick with all symptoms a few days later, missing 3 weeks of work. NO official diagnosis of it).

5. Flat tire

6. Broken slider window after locking myself out during a caching trip at 2am.

7. Accosted by vigilante homeowner because I was in the area shortly after his house was egged. (my CCW has since arrived).

8. A few near sprains from loose rock.

9. Bruised wrists/hip from a fall off a rock.

There's probably others, but none I can think of now.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by GrandpaTom:

OK, I got you all beat.

Lost footing climbing over a downed tree and fell hard to the ground. Unfortunatly I was wearing my GPSr on a lanyard around my neck. The GPSr ended up between me and the ground fracturing two of my ribs. Took ten minutes to get my breath back. What was weird I didn't have a lot of pain untill two days later.

(GPSr still working)

dadgum!!! Beat me by a rib! icon_mad.gif I was diving for a ball...I would have been really bummed if all I did was slip! I feel your pain...nothing hurts worse than a cracked rib, let alone two! icon_frown.gif I did make the catch though! icon_smile.gif It's getting better, at least it doesn't hurt so much when I take a breath.

By the way, I've seen one of your stickers that you left in a logbook a few weekends ago around Livonia. Pretty cool! icon_cool.gif I might look into those!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:

No sun.

Nope. No sun at all, so don't move out here. Hear that, Californians! No sun. Nope, nada. Yucky here. It'll do you best to stay away from these here parts.

No injuries here other than the latest blackberry bush attack.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

CHIGGERS! The worst case ever! They put a ring around both ankles. Up my legs and a few under the booty. Thank God they did not get in the private area!

I look so trashy with my bit up legs.

They scratched so bad, I scratched lines into my skin...so in addition to chiggers, I have deep scrapes from my nails!

So after three weeks, they are starting to dry up.

Did this stop me from geocaching? No way!

If I saw a snake....that would.

icon_eek.gif

Thank GOD I live in L.A. We only have to worry about the four seasons.:

1. Fire

2. Earth Quakes

3. Flooding

4. Riots

You folks can keep all that other stuff... icon_cool.gif

--------------------------------------------------

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

No Ticks

No Chiggers

No 95 deg 95% days

No Poison Oak or Ivy

Few Mosquitos

No Kudzu

No Coral Snakes

I've done Hare & Hound runs in So Cal, Huntsville & Seattle... Seattle is likely the most tame place in the world.

Hukt un fonix werkt fer mee

This summer it has been NO Rain, until yesterday, sorry guys had to wash the car.

Cure for mosquito bites / itching?

On a recent hunt, I got something on my ankle and foot. Looks like poison ivy but the bubbles/blisters were bigger - up to 1/4" tall. Stranger yet was the areas affected were covered with socks. Each bubble was round and separated but near others, as though individual bites maybe. VERY itchy.

Anyone know what I got?

I treated those areas as well as several mosquito bites with salt. That relieved the itching quite quickly and effectively. Has anybody ever heard of salt being used to relieve irritation/inflammation or tried it?

Method

I put two drops of water on the bandage portion of a fresh Band-Aid then added about 4 pinches (1/8 teaspoon) of table salt and finally two more drops of water on the salt.

I carefully applied the Band-Aid to each bite and blister. I had instant continuous relief until I removed the Band-Aid or washed the area.

I have been using this method for several months. I would love to know if this method works (or not) with anyone else. Let me know.

Any other simple remedies?

Comments?

PKPaul

Was trying to find the second set of coordinates for a multi-cache I started last Fall but couldn't do it then becuase the river was too deep and icy to cross. Tried again a few weeks ago because the river is much lower now due to drought in the midwest.

After wading across the river, while bushwhacking through thick, head-high brush on the island, my right foot slipped and jammed into an unseen hole, severely bending back my big toe and the one next to it. I limped back to the car but later in the day when my toe looked like a big purple plum I decided to go to the Urgent Care Clinic. X-rays showed that I had cracked a bone in my big toe. I haven't stopped caching but I am walking slower and uphill stints still get my toe a-throbbing.

Adding insult to injury, I later found that the CACHE had been archived a week before I went looking. icon_frown.gif

I learned from that incident not to rely on old cache printouts. Other than the usual insect bites and poison plants, that's my first and only painful injury while geocaching.

>>On a recent hunt, I got something on my ankle and foot. Looks like poison ivy but the bubbles/blisters were bigger - up to 1/4" tall. Stranger yet was the areas affected were covered with socks. Each bubble was round and separated but near others, as though individual bites maybe. VERY itchy.

Sounds like fire ants. Do you have those where you live? I've heard that ammonia applied immediately stops the itching and blistering, but I have never tried this myself.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaime and Jason:

Poison Ivy! I've never had it before, but now I'm going on 2 weeks of it... and it's getting worse, not better. It's all over both legs and climbing to my trunk and arms. I've tried OTC cream and prescription cream, ice, oatmeal baths, and tomorrow's my last day on steroids. HELP??!!?!

Amer and Bel

Yikes! Sounds like it's time to go back to the doctor. You poor thing! icon_frown.gif

Yeah!! It was the "Itchy and Scratchy" show for me last week. Came back with poison ivy. It was my second push for this particular cache but as hot as it was and location (not to mention the constant complaining icon_rolleyes.gif from the others {I hope they don't read this part icon_mad.gif}) I turned away before I got close. It is almost a 6 mile round trip trek to get this.

After showering, I would liberally apply Sea Breeze all over my legs. That helped cool down the Poison Ivy welts and keep me sane for a few hours. The problem I had was the inbetween time that is filled in with work, where you can't just drop trou' and tend your legs. The guys would have laughed icon_eek.gif!

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.