60c Geocaching Question

aka Monkey

I finally got to take my 60C out and try theGeocaching mode. So, I hit find, select a geocache, and ask it to take me there. It calculates a route, and I follow it. However, the manual says that the compass page will change and give me a "Find" button. It doesn't. I can see my route on the map, and get my Active Route directions page, but the compass page doesn't give me an arrow or any buttons. I thus have no way of telling it that I found the cache.

What am I missing?

...I hit find, select a geocache, and ask it to take me there. It calculates a route, and I follow it.

What is the procedure for having the 60c calculate a route to a waypoint/geocache?

I have Road's 'n Rec and Topo maps loaded. And I have the map set to "Follow Road". I still can't get it to calculate a route. Do I need to have City Select loaded?

To switch from follow road mode to off road is a little clunky compared to the V. Try this. Hit page once from the navigation screen and that should take you to the direction screen that has all the arrows and turns. Hit menu and one of the options should be recalculate. Hit enter and it should give you a choice of follow road or off road. Otherwise you have to hit Find, Geocache and hope the one you want is close by.

I have Road's 'n Rec and Topo maps loaded. And I have the map set to "Follow Road". I still can't get it to calculate a route. Do I need to have City Select loaded?

Yes - you need City Select in order for the 60C to properly autoroute. R&R and Topo do not have autorouting capability.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Quick question about the 60C, what kind of data and power port does it have in the back? I know it comes with USB, but does it still have the 4 pin plug that is common with the Map76 series? I don't want to have to get a new data/power combo cable for road use if I can help it.

Quick question about the 60C, what kind of data and power port does it have in the back? I know it comes with USB, but does it still have the 4 pin plug that is common with the Map76 series? I don't want to have to get a new data/power combo cable for road use if I can help it.

Yes, it still has the four pin serial/power port for use with your old serial cable and 12v power cord...

Yes, it still has the four pin serial/power port for use with your old serial cable and 12v power cord...

More specifically, it has the ROUND 4-pin serial port

Like This:

02a8aaa8-0f6c-4b6f-97c3-2c6518232db3.jpg

NOT THIS:

6aa44c79-59e0-43af-ab59-1f8f44bedb7e.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

Just got my 60C today and it is beautiful. I do have 3 questions that hopefully someone will answer. (1) On the satellite page there is a circle that tracks around the outside circle, but I can't find it referenced in the manual. What is it?!?(2) Under tone setup in the book it has autoroute left/right, but in my tone setup these options don't appear. (dont have my copy of CS) Whats the deal? (3) Anyone found a nice case for it yet?. Thanks guys, Im hyped!

Neo,

Thanks for your reply, as well as convincing me to buy this thing! I am hoping someone will come out with a similiar case to the neoprene cases for the etrex line. This unit is too nice to ever be out of a case. I just wish I had CS so I could start autorouting to caches. B) I am waiting on the auto navigation kit. No telling when that thing is going to ship. :D

Neo, that carrying case you refer to is huge. My 60c was swimming in it. I think dealers are referencing this case because they don't have a better one to offer.

As I recall, it took Garmin a while to come up with the "sport" case for the Etrex models. We'll probably have to wait a while for a proper 60c/cs case. This would be a great time for an independent manufacturer to jump in :D

Just got my 60C today and it is beautiful. I do have 3 questions that hopefully someone will answer. (1) On the satellite page there is a circle that tracks around the outside circle, but I can't find it referenced in the manual. What is it?!?(2) Under tone setup in the book it has autoroute left/right, but in my tone setup these options don't appear. (dont have my copy of CS) Whats the deal? (3) Anyone found a nice case for it yet?. Thanks guys, Im hyped!

I emailed garmin about the left/right turn option in the manual but not on the unit. This was the reply:

Thank You for Contacting Garmin International,

At this time it is still a work in progress. When the manual was written it

was going to be an option but has since be put on hold. To answer your

question I honestly do not know when or if it will become an option in the

future.

Not alot of help, but honest, I guess. I don't like being teased by something in the manual that I can't do. I am curios to see if the 60cs has this option.

As I recall, it took Garmin a while to come up with the "sport" case for the Etrex models. We'll probably have to wait a while for a proper 60c/cs case. This would be a great time for an independent manufacturer to jump in

I noticed from the specs that the 60C is just a bit narrower (but thicker) than a Meridian. Maybe this would be the perfect application for the large Nite Ize holster, so you could actually fit into it some of the pens, batteries, flashlights and other crap they claim you can put in all those extra pockets. Put a Meridian in it and you're done. :lol: Other than that, it's a great holster.

Edited by blindleader