Getting A Fix

Natureboy44

I've ended up setting my GPSr on top of my van for about about half an hour before going geocaching so it could get a good and hearty sat lock...

Yeah, my van's got some sort of shielding built into it (when the aliens come, I don't need a tinfoil hat... I'll just go into my van) so that if I don't already have a good signal when I get inside, I will have little chance of picking one up otherwise.

On the other hand, with my other car, I can have my GPSr on the floor and still get 12 satellites...

93622_400.JPG

S'cuse me. But that looks an awful lot like primer cord (e.g. detonating cord) and who knows what's on the other end of it.

Now you know that blowing up the interfering culprit isn't the best way to solve your problem. Let's be calm about this.

How about walking a short distance away, into an open area, obtaining a bearing and noting it. Then, repeat the process from another direction. If you get three bearings you've got an easy solution.

Now, put down the ignitor and calm down.

Edited by gallahad
While searching for a local cache, I realized I'd gotten myself into a location where I was geting no reception. The below picture was my solution.

A caption for this photo would be useful, since I can't figure out what's going on or how it helped your reception.

I can't recall anything unusual that I've done to improve my reception on any of my hunts.

Jamie

S'cuse me. But that looks an awful lot like primer cord (e.g. detonating cord) and who knows what's on the other end of it.

Now you know that blowing up the interfering culprit isn't the best way to solve your problem. Let's be calm about this.

How about walking a short distance away, into an open area, obtaining a bearing and noting it. Then, repeat the process from another direction. If you get three bearings you've got an easy solution.

ROFL!!!!! :D:lol:B)

BTW, I saw that post in Captain Chaos's thread, and loved it....I could see the GPSr the first time I looked....still laughing about it! :grin::DB)

Look at it this way, after I blew the tracks I no longer had reception problems.

On another note, can anyone out there can identify this cache.

93622_400.JPG

ROTFLMAO!! :D:grin:B):lol::lol:B):D

BTW, I saw that post in Captain Chaos's thread, and loved it....I could see the GPSr the first time I looked....still laughing about it! :blink::bad::D

I thought it was more fun to ignore the GPSr. Makes for a much better story. Wonder if I'm catching something from you through this forum. Whatever it is, keep the antidote a secret. I like living like this. :mad:

I got the strangest look from some passers by one day.

I was caching in a large cemetery between some crypts and was having trouble getting a fix.. So I held the GPS up as high above my head as I could. That's when the people passed.

Given that most people mistake GPS's for mobiles, I guess it look kinda weird. Maybe they thought I was telephoning the spirits, or on them at least. :D