60c Or The 60cs

dikndi

I bought the C. While I had wanted an electric compass, I get the impression that it isn't as great as I had hoped it to be and I already am adept at using my pocket compass. I have no need for an altimeter and being a pilot, know that it must be adjusted frequently for pressure changes as weather masses move through. The 3D altimeter in the 60C is good enough for what I need.

Im hanging in there for the CS. The CS was suppose to be available by this time but Garmin did back up the delivery some. But we are still so close. I had a Vista that did have the compass on it and I used my compass a lot. That is pretty much the reason I am waiting. And yes I do have a back up compass.

murph

I was waffling between the 60C & CS. I'm relatively new into geocaching but have had my Vista for a number of years. I forgot I had switched the compass off to conserve the battery and couldn't understand why my Vista wasn't showing me the way while I was standing there turning around. I realized what was wrong, turned it on, and found the cache. I decided I definitely liked that feature and want to have that in the GPS, so I'm waiting for the CS. :D

I'm new to geocaching too, but I have not needed a compass yet. My 60c has put me within 10 feet of a cache every time. I have heard that electronic compasses are not very accurate, need frequent calibration, and uses a lot of battery power. If I ned a compass, I will buy a good regular compass. That way if the battery on my 60c dies, I will still have a compass to use.

I am also new to this sport and I researched and found that the Garmin map60 was the way to go for me and knowing myself I normally go for the top of the line in anything I buy(you get what you pay for normally). I looked into both units specs. (map60C & map60cs) and decided to get the map60C, since I am new to this sport I thought well there is always somthing better that comes out when you buy your top of the line toyso I bought the map60C and took it home. What a great machine. There are so much you can set and do with this machine. I do not regrete buying the 60C instead of the 60CS and maybe next your there might be somthing better then the 60cs with maybe a SD Card, so I will enjoy my new toy for now until the next new toys comes out next year, it is an on going cycle, will it ever end. heehee :D

John.

Compass:

I upgraded to the Vista from the Legend for three obvious reason: memory, electronic compass and the barometric altimeter.

Memory is not an issue since both the GPSmap 60C series have the same memory.

Compass: Trying to position a boat over a marked waypoint like a saltwater reef is difficult with a traditional GPS since wind, current and waves can push a boat back slightly and make the GPS think you're headed in a different direction.

Barometer: Since I spend a lot of time in the lowcountry (where the highest elevation is 27 feet amsl), I use the barometric altimeter as a barometer.

Altimeter: Several times each year I hike in the Blueridge mountains. I will often mark my car and set the altimeter before begining the hike. I turn the GPS and Compass off and use the barometric altimeter as an altimeter.

Like I said before - I'm waiting and actually hoping that the GPSmap 76CS will be announced before I have to purchase the GPSmap 60CS.

:D How do you change your CD!

I have a mini Disk deck with a cd changer and xm radio B)

I have a Mini disc too. I wish I could put MP3's on it in native MP3 format and they would play. When I bought it I saw the large print and it said Play MP3's, then in small print must be transformed to blah blah format. I cant think of the name of the format it uses. I have a MZ-N707 sony. I bought an Apple I-pod and its light years ahead of my Mini disc player.

George,

I've had a 5550 and now a 4150. I much prefer the 4150 because of size and the WiFi has LEAP capabilities (which I need to connect to the wireless hubs at work).

The only thing I'm giving up is 0.3" of screen and 64 MB worth of on-board memory, biometric security (that works wonderfully I might add), Nevo universal remote control and longer battery life.

Come to think of it, I really miss my 5550. :D

I have an ipaq 4150 too, well actually a 4155 which is exactly the same thing. Sure it is a little smaller, but it fits very neatly in my pocket, clip-board, or anywhere else I want to put it. Now if it could talk to my 60c via bluetooth, I would probably have an orgasm. BTW if you really miss the extra 64MB om internal memery try this.

I was really joking. I slapped a 64 MB SD card in the thing and have never had any problems. The only thing I do miss is Nevo (the universal remote control) so I could channel surf and surf the internet at the same time.

You are right the only difference between the 4150 and the 4155 is that the 4150 comes in a plain cardboard box and the 4155 comes in a fancy box with pictures and specifications. Obviously, the 4155 is targeted at the consumer market and the packaging on the 4150 is designed to save commercial customers about $10 per item.

You are right the only difference between the 4150 and the 4155 is that the 4150 comes in a plain cardboard box and the 4155 comes in a fancy box with pictures and specifications. Obviously, the 4155 is targeted at the consumer market and the packaging on the 4150 is designed to save commercial customers about $10 per item.

But my $10 box is sooo pretty! Actually I was seriously considering the 5555, after all the biometrics sounded very cool. But size was the deciding factor for me, which is why I also did not get the 4355. I don't have anything that secret that I need that much security anyway.

I wish ppctechs could upgrade my 60c to 128 megs

I will be keeping my eyes open for that one too :lol: