Ski Caching

rblaw

I thought cross country skiing and geocaching would be a perfect combination in northern Michigan. I set up a 5 part multicache on trails I maintain, but there have been no takers. There were a number of caches set up near the Vasa ski trail. So I tried to find them while skiing the trail system. But only one seemed to have been placed to make it accessible in winter conditions when we have had 70 inches of snow. :P

I just did a cache last weekend on skis. Winter seems to the time I get more caching done for some reason. I have also done caches where I used snowshoes, and crampons. Does the cache page mention that they are snow friendly? None around here are you just need to be prepared to get wet and search through snow. :P I would love a five part multi on skis. I wonder how far Michigan is from here. ;)

Hidden a few ski-accessible caches myself, & found a few on skis too ( long-haul backcountry, part of winter event, telemarking with lift assist, telemarking w/o lift assist ), but mostly had a series of spectacular DNFs on skis ( 5 ft snow cover, container apparently moved, blizzard and ripe avalanch conds, 8 ft snowcover ).

No one ever skied to any of my ski-caches, but we don't have xc sliers here in the valley among the geocachers. Maybe just 'cause straight skiing is so good :P. The nearest skier-cachers live 25 to 50 miles from here. I don't see it as a problem though. New people will sure join in the next few years; and with the help of fun event caches, some of the good old members may be tempted to try skis too.

But if you want plenty of visits, fast, make sure to check the local logs first, to see what the cachers are up to.

How would Cary Mountain be for skiing?

Al, I'd say it's probably doable but it would be a challenging workout. It's a long hunt even during fair weather. There's considerable elevation gain involved, some of it on woods road and some along an old ATV trail (which is not very well established since motor vehicles have been banned from the SGLs). The first and last caches are at ground level and most likely covered with snow. I'd suggest backcountry skis because portions of the trek are along narrow footpaths through areas with heavy low brush and berry bushes. You'll be rewarded with a fabulous view, too. Good luck if you decide to attempt it. I'd be very impressed! :P

Cheers ...

How would Cary Mountain be for skiing?

I'd be very impressed! :P

I looked at the density of horizontals at the topo and gasped at first, but then of course realized that you have 20-ft sections in PA rather than 40ft I'm used to...

The brush is always a catch-22 with ski caching. More snow covers in pretty well, but it does so with containers too. Also be careful not to over-probe the snow with sticks or ski poles if the temps drop. It's pretty easy to shatter frozen tupperware.

Al, I'd say it's probably doable but it would be a challenging workout. It's a long hunt even during fair weather. There's considerable elevation gain involved, some of it on woods road and some along an old ATV trail (which is not very well established since motor vehicles have been banned from the SGLs).

I'd suggest backcountry skis because portions of the trek are along narrow footpaths through areas with heavy low brush and berry bushes.

Well I already started looking at the topos however, my wife caught wind of my plan and of course doesn't think it's a good idea. I'll just tell her I am going after a 1/1 micro and already have my gear in the truck. You would think that she would be happy that I am not contemplating a night cache. I have backcountry skis, crampons, snowshoes, downhill skis, and regular x-country skis I think I might have the gear to get it done. :D I am looking to get climbing skins for my backcountry skis this might be a good test for the skins. Sound like a fun day even if I can't find the caches in the snow, as you know I tend to like elevation gain.