Gps And Airplanes!

briansnat

If noobs would read the FAQ, they wouldn't have to post yet another question that has been answered every which way from Sunday

I just read the GC.com FAQ, and the one Jeremy has at the top of the “getting started” page. I saw nothing about GPSr’s on airplanes, nor did I read anything that suggests using the “search” feature at the very top of the page in the forums, to see if your topic has already been beaten to death. As silly as it sounds, not everyone uses forums enough to know to look for such a feature. Some people do know to look for the “search” feature, but then type in too specific of a topic, and nothing comes up, and they assume it is not there.

I agree that blasting new people is not a good way to greet them. It could also be viewed as “common sense” to insert a link to the other 50 threads that address the same thing. After all, common sense is a relative term

A wise man once said, “If you are not part of the solution, you could be part of the problem”.

These are just my thoughts, so go ahead and thrash way.

If noobs would read the FAQ, they wouldn't have to post yet another question that has been answered every which way from Sunday

I just read the GC.com FAQ, and the one Jeremy has at the top of the “getting started” page. I saw nothing about GPSr’s on airplanes, nor did I read anything that suggests using the “search” feature at the very top of the page in the forums, to see if your topic has already been beaten to death.

I have added a link to the search feature in the FAQ thread.

As silly as it sounds, not everyone uses forums enough to know to look for such a feature. <snip>

When you go to a library do you ask them to order a book for you, or do you see if they have it first? Just checking...

Great topic -- complaining about threads that probably are posted by new comers to the sport, who don't yet know how to search for topics already covered. Seems like a better approach would have been to just not post to airplane threads if they bother you that much

Relax bucko...I was just kidding around. Sheesh :P

Great topic -- complaining about threads that probably are posted by new comers to the sport, who don't yet know how to search for topics already covered. Seems like a better approach would have been to just not post to airplane threads if they bother you that much

Relax bucko...I was just kidding around. Sheesh :P

I thought you were "Mr. Serious", Brian. This totally shatters the image I had of you ;)

I have an additional question. I'm wondering if it's allowable to use GPS's while on NYC public transportation.

I called City Hall, the Transit Bureau, the Ed Sullivan Theater, as well as speaking to Senator Clinton and the Governor. I'm writing letters to all the NY legislators asking for a specific set of guidelines and I'm filing a motion in the NY state courts.

The best answer I've gotten to date is that it's OK to use GPSr's on buses - but using them on subways is strictly prohibited once the subway has left the station (although the use of other microwave reception gear is allowed between 67th and 32nd street on alternating Tuesdays while street cleaning rules are in effect). The PATH trains allow use of GPSr's while under the Hudson River only and the Ferry Services only allow their use while seated in the third row of the boat.

Again, all this information is just based on verbal responses - but I'm pushing for a written answer with a clearly stated policy so there's no confusion.

p.s. I'm just waiting for Brian to kick the stuffing out of me.... :P

Edited by HartClimbs
QUOTE]

When you go to a library do you ask them to order a book for you, or do you see if they have it first? Just checking...[/color]

I ask where the restroom is, so I do not make a mess while searching for it.:P

Seriously. If I were not familiar with how a library worked, I would certainly ask questions, and hope that the staff and other patrons did not snicker behind my back.

Relax bucko...I was just kidding around. Sheesh ;)

I thought you were "Mr. Serious", Brian. This totally shatters the image I had of you :P

I know -- there goes my attempt at a serious conversation.

PS -- I kind of like the 'bucko' part -- made the response real jazzy!

:P

PSS -- I knew you were kidding. Just having some fun back at ya!

GPSr and Boats, Allowed?

I'll be taking a boat to Arizona and I was wondering if its allowed.

Yeah, I'll be towing the boat behind a truck and want to know if will cause any problems.

Boat in AZ? Wheres the water. All I see for miles around when I look out my door is sand and mesquite trees, oh and the farm fields. The only water you can see is the CAP canal and it has big fences around it.

Y'know, honestly! ;)

I don't see what the big deal is about just answering questions... :P

Picture this: The company that you work at; if it's a company of any real size (say 500 employees or so) then chances are you have mangement folks responsible for training those people: Safety training, job-related training, etc.

Now jump back here. I'm that guy! :P I work as a trainer at a Midwestern polyethylene packaging plant (~1000 employees). I've only been doing the job for about two years, but one of the things that I realized early on is that I'm going to be answering the same questions over and over and over...

I guess I'm just immune to it, then. I don't think that there's a thing wrong with one of the newer enthusiasts blurting out a question right here in our <gasp> sacred temple; the OPEN FORUM!!!

If you don't feel like answering questions from Newbies, then don't! There's no need to be snippy and sound high and mighty, just move on to another topic and leave it for someone who does it for a living.

Relax bucko...I was just kidding around. Sheesh ;)

I thought you were "Mr. Serious", Brian. This totally shatters the image I had of you :P

Hadn't you noticed? Brian has loosened up a lot in the last few weeks. Now he is witty and intelligent. :P

Relax bucko...I was just kidding around. Sheesh :D

I thought you were "Mr. Serious", Brian. This totally shatters the image I had of you B)

Hadn't you noticed? Brian has loosened up a lot in the last few weeks. Now he is witty and intelligent. B)

Ok....time to come out of the closet.....Briansnat is my sock puppet......there, I said it....man, what a load off my mind! :D

Edited by Sparky-Watts
This is a very interesting thread and some of you posted some very interesting thoughts and views. Amazing to me how differently the mood and direction of a thread progresses between topic starters. Kinda nice.

PS- Why is it I can't be in the Library for more than 2 minutes without having to use the restroom? Never fails.

It's the books.....

Bathroom=Reading=Books=Time To Go Potty

It's a vicious cycle....