How Do I Get Waypoints To My Pda

Nebrcacher

Or, just select the ebook version of the pocket query, and install that on your PPC. MobiPocket isn't the greatest, but that's the simplest way to do it. When you learn more, you can start using other programs that do more. Or you can do both while you learn - you can get the queries in both formats at the same time.

If you mean the cache pages (I don't know why you would only want the waypoints on your Palm), ditch Mobipocket (it really, really, stinks for this purpose) and use the Spinner and Plucker method, or Cachemate.

Here is a very good tutorial from Cybret on paperless geocaching using Spinner and Plucker on your Palm. It seems to be the most popular combination out there and I've had great success with it. Some people swear by Cachemate. I never tried it, but I hear its pretty good. Spinner and Plucker are free and there is a small charge for Cachemate.

The Georga Geocaching Assn. also has a good primer on paperless geocaching. It is a lot more comprehensive than Cybret's, as it discusses the various methods, but that also makes it a bit more confusing.

Edited by briansnat
If you mean the cache pages (I don't know why you would only want the waypoints on your Palm), ditch Mobipocket (it really, really, stinks for this purpose) and use the Spinner and Plucker method, or Cachemate.

Here is a very good tutorial from Cybret on paperless geocaching using Spinner and Plucker on your Palm. It seems to be the most popular combination out there and I've had great success with it. Some people swear by Cachemate. I never tried it, but I hear its pretty good. Spinner and Plucker are free and there is a small charge for Cachemate.

It's not a Palm, Brian. He has an iPaq

I have an Ipaq and I loaded MobiPocket. How do I get info from the goecaching.com site to my PDA now?

If you do a 'Pocket Query' use the E-book format (they have a button on the query page for this).

When the pocket query arrives by E-mail I save it to my hard drive. After you save it you double click on it and it gives you the option to read it or to 'Hot Sync' it to your PDA. Choose 'Hot Sync'.

If it is just a few select cache pages that you want to get to the PDA,

Then save them to a file and use the Mobi Web Companion to convert them to a mobi format. You then can use the Quick Install.

Hope this answers your question.

John

Spinner by itself works just fins on an iPAQ. With Watcher, it's an even more potent combination.

In English, this is what you do.

1) Get .gpx pocket queries.

2) Run them through watcher just to learn what watcher does. Figure out how to set your home co-ordinates in watcher.

3) run them through GPXSpinner. The result will be a folder of HTML pages, including a couple indexes.

4) Transfer this folder to the iPAQ

5) Surf the html pages using your web browser.

After awhile it'll seem like second nature.

The reason I mention watcher is twofold.

1) It's a really good program.

2) GPXSpinner can get settings from watcher, which means less work on your part.

Edit: Off topic. We were talking today about a possible CITO in your neck of the woods (Fremont) this spring. If you have any suggestions pop down to the Nebraska section of the forums and start a thread.

Edited by bons

Check the GPS Units and Software forum. Programs to try include GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), Cachemate, and Plucker. GSAK does everything, including transferring the cache waypoints to your GPS. It converts between almost any formats, using GPSBabel. Cachemate will do the transfers, and runs on your Palm to view, edit, and log caches. My setup is GSAK, Cachemate, and Plucker. GSAK opens the gpx files, writes html files for the caches, sorts the caches, and transfers the waypoints to my GPS. Plucker takes the html files and converts to Plucker format, readable on the Palm, and these cache pages look identical to what you see on the Groundspeak pages. Cachemate will export the waypoints directly from your PDA to your GPS, if you need that.