Campsite Locations

geckoee

This may be a little off the Geo-caching topic, but does any one know of a good campsite listing?

Microsoft Streets and Trips has a few, and there is AAA, but how about a more comprehensive listing? I'm thinking online, software, or a book.

Also how about regulations on off trail camping. Some parks, such as Joshua Tree National Monument in CA and White Mountain National Forest in NH, allow you to camp as long as you are not in site of a main trail. (I’m using the work “park” pretty loosely here.)

Any one have resources to report?

edited to add NH.

Edited by geckoee

Campgrounds are like motels without walls, in my opinion. So I try to find a place on BLM or Forest Service land where you don't have to pay to camp and don't have to stay in a campground - following No-Trace camping guidelines of course.

Generally speaking, at a National Park, National Monument, or state park you are required to use established campsites or campgrounds. Many national parks (perhaps Joshua?) have permits for backcountry camping for backpackers.

Your best bet is to check the websites for the specific forests or parks you'd like to visit.

Happy camping,

-Bob

Edited by Bobthearch

You have hit on a very broad-based topic and unfortunately it really is not a subject for these forums. I will offer you some advise.

You have mentioned just about as broad an area as you can (CA to NH). Your best bet is to decide where you are going and then look up that location on the Internet. A great way to do that is to use http://www.google.com to search the web.

If it is a National Park then go to http://www.nps.gov/ and look for the park you are interested in. Most National Parks only allow camping in rigidly specific areas to limit impact. Many of the camping areas can be reserved but most of them are busy and are taken as soon as they become available. Find out what the window is for reservations (as in 30 days before the date of arrival) and find out what time the office opens in the morning. Call promptly on the day as soon as the office is open (or a little before and let it ring) and be persistent if the phone is busy.

On the other hand, the National Forest allow you to camp overnight pretty much where ever you want to. There are some areas where you cannot camp but they usually have signs that say "No Overnight Camping". Some Forest Service Campgrounds take reservations now too and you should use the same advice as I listed above. They are not as busy as the NPS sites, so you should fare better. Some places now take online reservations as well!

Good luck and have fun.

Sorry, but I must close this topic.