First To Find

BlackBuck

Geocaching with my 9 year old daughter not long ago, we were first to find a new cache. The FTF prize was a certificate to a nearby coffee house, with coordinates to the place. My daughter used the certificate on a decafe mocha with enough left over for a regular coffee for me. She loved it - made her feel that being first was really special. I've had 20 other FTFs, but none with an FTF prize. I just like being first.

(edit to fix typo)

Edited by AC Student

There is nothing SO THRILLING about being FTF. It's just fun. It's cool that you were the first person there, finding this treasure, besides the hider.

My coolest FTF prize was a 20$ wheres george bill. It was the 5th cache of a 5 series group of caches. They were all hidden VERY well, and it took me 2 days to complete it.

I had a FTF on a cache I wasn't looking for. Other than that, so far my favorite FTF was my first FTF (not sure why it's all bold on the separate log, but not on the cache page).

My most challenging FTF was this Criminal cache, less challenging if you're in shape.

My favorite type of FTF is a nighttime/darkness hunt after other cachers have posted DNFs (because you are guaranteed a challenge).

My favorite FTF in this category was this cache..

Most of my FTFs were not that thrilling, but to get more thrilling FTFs, you have to do a lot of them, because you just never know.

I almost never rush out the door after seeing a new cache come up, to go hunt for a FTF, (like I said, the most fun FTF hunts have DNFs logged on them). Most caches around here get approved around 8 pm or later, and since I like night caching, I get to them before most.

Hey BlackBuck! Welcome to the forums. Nice to see one of my neighbors here. My favorite FTF was also my 100th find. It out in Montauk, Come Hither.

off topic: If you haven't been out east yet to hit some of Jesters caches, make it's a priority this spring. He has found some amazing places out there.

Edited by JMBella

I have never had any special FTF prizes that I recall but I do enjoy being FTF. Not sure why. Guess it just lets me test myself with no other finds to sway my thoughts on the difficulty or any extra hints hidden in someone's comments. I just enjoy find a new one pop up and I can hardly wait to get on the road to find it.

I guess that says that a special FTF prize is not necessary for me.

Although I know it is frowned upon... the coolest ftf prize we found was a nice multi-tool. We didn't take it since I already have more knives that any one man needs. My daughter on the other hand liked getting a t-shirt from one.

For the most part I like FTF. Not for the prize, but my daughter really gets a charge out of just being the first one there. Dad does too. We have been known to get up at 4:30 am and take off just to see if we can beat some of the other locals to it. Very good father-daughter bonding moments.

I have 45 first-finds. I enjoy being the first, not because I'm hoping for a first-find toy (even though I have found a few gift certificates that I've taken), but because I enjoy the challenge. I also like being the first to log so that I have a chance to critique the cache. I especially enjoy it when I have found the cache, followed by others who cannot find it.

One of my favorite first-finds (and I might add, the only cacher who found it) is TORTILLA FLAT, by TEAM 360. TEAM 360 is known for hiding very difficult to find caches; so being a first-to-find (or just being able to find some of his more difficult caches) is a reward in itself. I had made an earlier trip to the cache and filed a no-find after spending over three hours at the site. My second trip was successful. Finally, after just over two months with me being the only cacher who found the cache, TEAM 360 decided to move the cache to an easier location. The cache was found easily for the next month until it was archived by the owner.

Three of us here in the West Palm Beach area are known for getting up early to see who can be FTF. So most new cache logs have our three names as the first three, in varying orders. Last month a guy put out a new cache and left each of us with an envelope addressed in our names -- each contained a $10 Starbuck's gift card. I thought that was very cool !

I have a few FTFs. The reason I like to get there first, or at least one of the first, is because most hiders care enough to put nice swag in when they place the cache. You often find good stuff if you get there before it's all traded for mctoys and golf balls. In one I found 2 nice railroading belt buckles, which I gave to a friend of mine who used to be an train engineer and collects such things. (yes, I did my best to trade even.) And often, there are travel bugs. I like travel bugs! Can't explain it; I just do.

I placed a cache today (still awaiting approval.) Watch for the Nice Swag Cache in a day or two. The theme is that, as a thank you to central Indiana cachers for the hides they've placed for me to find, I filled the cache with nice swag, and ask finders to leave only items with some value to them. So, if you are FTF to this cache, you can choose between items of gold, sterling silver, turquoise, fine bone china, art glass and a big hunk of petrified redwood. But come prepared to reciprocate, in appreciation of the cachers who will follow. Of course, finders may always choose to TNLNSL if they prefer.

There was a multi-cache in Elmira, New York - that contained $500. Obviously, the first person to find the last part of the multi-cache got $500. How about that for a FTF cache prize? If only the hider of this cache hid more caches like that in Syracuse New York....what'd I like to do with $500 :P

Environmental Explorer

...In one I found 2 nice railroading belt buckles, which I gave to a friend of mine who used to be an train engineer and collects such things...

Did you take BOTH buckles?

um, yeah. I did have a momentary twinge of guilt, :D but there was lots of nice swag in that cache, and I knew how much my friend would appreciate those buckles. So I rationalized it to myself that since they weren't for me, it was less greedy somehow. Can you tell I was raised Catholic? But I got better. B)

...In one I found 2 nice railroading belt buckles, which I gave to a friend of mine who used to be an train engineer and collects such things...

Did you take BOTH buckles?

um, yeah. I did have a momentary twinge of guilt, :lol: but there was lots of nice swag in that cache, and I knew how much my friend would appreciate those buckles. So I rationalized it to myself that since they weren't for me, it was less greedy somehow. Can you tell I was raised Catholic? But I got better. :huh:

No biggie I guess, It's just that if I put 2 of something in my cache, I expect that they will get to 2 different cachers, it's "take something, leave something" not "take everything you think is cool, and leave whatever you have in your pockets" I certainly think your friend would have enjoyed just ONE buckle, then maybe somebody else could enjoy the other one.

Still, like others, I consider whatever I leave in a cache, to be gone for good, I just hope people will enjoy the stuff. I never comment or contact the rude traders that visit my caches, (the worst of which don't log what they traded), but that doesn't make them less rude, and certainly gets noticed.

I paddled about 2 miles against the current and the wind out into the middle of Tampa Bay to find the Island Cache. There wasn't much in it but it was such a cool little island that it was still exciting. I hung out on the island for awhile watching some dolphins play just offshore then by the time I started paddling back the tide was outgoing and I was paddling against the current again. I was sore for two days afterwards ( I did another paddling cache right afterwards for a total of about 8.5 miles paddled) but those two will probably be on my favorites list for awhile to come.

What's a FTF??

Around here you need to wake up pretty early in the morning or stay up VERY late to beat RJFerret, CTTrampers, Alpha Dog and Zurcher. Those guys are maniacs.

The only FTF I ever found was purely accidental and unintentional. It was such an uneventful experience I don't even recall the cache. (sigh)

Whatever . . . I'm not a FTF Ho. I'm a Geo Ho.

:lol:

Happy caching and stuff! :huh: