Left Handed Geocachers

Snoogans

Ok, so you sent me on a goose chase to find the origin of the custom. A search where I learned that Brits use their forks upside down. :)

I couldn't find it, but this custom of switching hand has an unusual history if I recall correctly. Something about British etiquette dictating that the knife be held while eating. When the first settlers came over, they did it the other way just to be different. Then some new king came in and said it was impolite to hold the knife while eating, so the custom, in England, changed.

Thus US and England were the same for a bit. Knowing this, the colonies switched back to holding the knife while eating, just to spite the king. When said king resigned or died or got voted out, England returned to the original custom (holding the knife) and the colonies switched back to setting the knife down.

Could be urban legend, but that's how I first heard it. I can't corroborate with an online source, however.

Jamie

I'm a lefty but I don't hold my hand (when writing) in that goofy way that a lot of you do. You know what I mean... that hand/wrist above the paper, curled up thing. My kindergarten teacher taught me to angle my paper with the lower end to the left, opposite of the right handed kids. I write with my arm and wrist in a straight line. :)

Edited by BulldogHuxley

100% left handed, my son also (its genetic its seems)

The only thing my parents forced me to use knife and fork in the right hand style (We are using both all the time in Europe: fork in the left hand, knife in the right)

Also I never owned a left hand scissors; I can operate a right hand scissors with the left hand.

(edited: dont know how to operate knife'n'fork)

Edited by DocW

yet another lefty. do almost everything lefty, write, throw, eat. i do use right hand scissors, and i use my right hand for electronics a lot... hold my PDA and GPS in my right hand (and thumb 'em), and I use my mouse on the right side of my keyboard w/ right hand (although I use a wacom for my left hand too....).

also my geocaching g/f is a lefty too...

always used to get yelled at by teachers and anyone else who sees the way I hold a paper and pen... bothers the schnikes outta people ;)

Another lefty. When I was in elementary school, I tried out for basketball.

I threw up so many bricks, I could've built a house. The coach insisted I was shooting with the wrong hand.

Needless to say, I quit basketball and started a promising and rewarding baseball career.

My wife and one of my daughters are left handed as well. Hmmm...

Interesting that posts equal about one in ten of the views. About the same per centage there are lefties.

By the way, I'm a rightie. My left hand is basically useless except I use my Vista with my left hand. I'm going to be sorry I'm asking, but I wonder if that means anything? :rolleyes:

Alan

I'm a lefty too - the only one in my family - including grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins. And, no, I'm not adopted. I write, bat, shoot, etc. left only. The only thing my right hand is good for is helping hold on to stuff and typing. And I love that the eTrex Legend is so perfectly designed for the left hand.

I'm not evil, but I think there are some others out there that would say differently - especially when it comes to some of the cache hides my caching partner and I have placed. :)

When my father started school (circa 1918) being left-handed, as he was, put him in a category of witches and such. So his teacher tied his left hand behind his back for the rest of the school day every day. He ended up mixed up -- some things he did righty, some lefty, some ambedextrous.

Me -- a right hander -- I'm facing carpal tunnel surgery. So I'm trying to do a crash course in left-handed self training. Fortunately, I have an eTrex Vista which does work much better in the left hand. Now if I could just quit jabbing myself in the cheek and chin with my dinner fork.... :D

A few years ago there was a story on tv that showed how a woman with no arms could do incredible things with her feet. For the life of me I can't remember if she used left handed scissors or right handed scissors. Does anyone know the answer?

When my father started school (circa 1918) being left-handed, as he was, put him in a category of witches and such.  So his teacher tied his left hand behind his back for the rest of the school day every day.  He ended up mixed up -- some things he did righty, some lefty, some ambedextrous.

That reminds me......my paternal grandmother (whom I never met) was from Hungary and when my older sister was very young, our grandmother would tell her to "use your pretty hand" whenever she saw my sister doing things with her left. Old world mentality. It used to get our mother mad. :D

When my father started school (circa 1918) being left-handed, as he was, put him in a category of witches and such. So his teacher tied his left hand behind his back for the rest of the school day every day. He ended up mixed up -- some things he did righty, some lefty, some ambedextrous.

That happened to me in the 1970s. I actually had a teacher that forced me to bat right-handed becuase it was too difficult to pitch to me. That did not help my batting average at all.

I'm "gauche" as they say in french...a lefty and proud of it. When I met Jamie Z he noticed and mentioned that I was left handed, and I assumed he was left handed too (because lefties usually notice and acknowledge other lefties). I just think that Jamie Z is a lefty at heart :blink: .

I guess that I am kind of screwed up playing golf: I drive right handed and putt left handed. It doesn't spoil my creativity and left-handedness though.

Cache on lefties!!!!

P.S. I also thought that those green handle lefty scissors were a waste. I do cut righty...

Both Steak N Eggs (he only counts as one meal) and myself are left-handed/right brained. My eldest son (10 going on 30) is mildly ambidextrous. Our 7 year old redhead is undecided. Or confused watching his father and I write, eat and reach for the phone.

I do use my right hand to operate my mouse, shoot, throw a ball and slap Steak when he gets out of line. Oh, and to hold my GPS... and that is what REALLY counts, right? I mean, LEFT? :o

RedwoodRed - Her Highness and Queen of All She Surveys - in The GeoGadgets Team (anyway)... Crescent City, California