Most clever cache you have found

Dru Morgan

I am looking for ideas for my second cache. Before you jump in, I know I have only about 4 finds so far. I am not planning to place this one soon. I am just doing some research for good ideas. The first part of this research involves finding as many caches as I can. Living in Los Angeles, I have been able to do one per day without driving more than thirty minutes from my house. The second part involves research on the net. From the puzzle and magic community, I am brainstorming for clever puzzle ideas. I don't want to place the cliche hike through the woods and find a tupperware box cache. I think there are plenty of those in Los Angeles to go around. I am more interested in placing clever multi-caches with puzzles to solve before you can get the next coordinates. In the city, I think I could come up with some really clever puzzles that could involve many local landmarks, doing research about sites and using clues from the research to find the next clue about the next location. I am envisioning a multi-day, multi-part cache that would require a day trip for each leg to get the clues and then maybe a week of research depending on your ability to interpret the clue to find the next coordinates. You might have to look on the internet, or 'gasp' read a book in the library to find the subject matter. All of these clues would follow a common theme to lead you through not only a physical journey, but an educational journey on a particular subject. You would most likely have to team up to find people with varying skills to find the final cache. Of course, there would be a big payoff for the first to find it.

Maybe I am a little ambitious, and obviously, this type of cache would take a long time to create properly, but I am looking for ideas and maybe pointers to existing caches that involve this type of detail.

Anyone have any good ideas? Anyone want to collaborate on a project like this?

Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

From the puzzle and magic community, I am brainstorming for clever puzzle ideas. I don't want to place the cliche hike through the woods and find a tupperware box cache. I think there are plenty of those in Los Angeles to go around. I am more interested in placing clever multi-caches with puzzles to solve before you can get the next coordinates.

For some ideas that might prove useful, visit http://web.mit.edu/puzzle/www/hunthistory.html and read over some of the past puzzles. Of course, you'll have to modify them to fit your surroundings, but there are some really cool puzzles in there.

Those of you reading this post in or near northeast Indiana, please disregard the above URL. It's useless, really. icon_biggrin.gif

warm.gif

quote:

From the puzzle and magic community, I am brainstorming for clever puzzle ideas. I don't want to place the cliche hike through the woods and find a tupperware box cache. I think there are plenty of those in Los Angeles to go around. I am more interested in placing clever multi-caches with puzzles to solve before you can get the next coordinates.

For some ideas that might prove useful, visit http://web.mit.edu/puzzle/www/hunthistory.html and read over some of the past puzzles. Of course, you'll have to modify them to fit your surroundings, but there are some really cool puzzles in there.

Those of you reading this post in or near northeast Indiana, please disregard the above URL. It's useless, really. icon_biggrin.gif

warm.gif

Great! Another Caching Angelino who wants more than the drive-up geocaching! The geocaches that require more than just footwork are more interesting to me, and I don't mind doing mental gymnastics to get me close to the final location.

Take a look at the caches planted by WM6P ("Surveyor’s Delight" for example) and JudgeCrater ("Hide and Seek #1" for example), they're about as far out as I've found and they're mostly in Thousand Oaks / Simi Valley area so they're reasonably local. Like you, I also try to go out of my way to make things more, uh, interesting. I placed my third (LA-43 saboteur) last week, and so far I only know of one person that's looking for it. Another area cacher known for his antics is Otispug, but from what I understand the mystery is in the hiding of the container more than in the thrill of the chase.

Feel free to contact me via the Geocaching site if you want to discuss some ideas outside the forums, there are a couple of things that I've thought of but haven't had time to implement yet.

I Geocache to get in the out doors. For the adventure and the hiking. I don't want to search the internet for clues or go to the library. That's not getting out.

I have a 140 IQ so puzzles are boring. I'm not looking to qualify for Mensa.

Just expess the theme your going for. So others can decide whether their interested in searching for it.

Preperation the first law to survival.

pulse_b.jpg

This one is unusual, done by a geocacher here in Georgia. It requires a knowledge of basic astronomy, and a simplifying assumption, in order to determine the coords. The hiding place is also unusual.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6289

This cache is creative, and tweaks my curiosity, but is a 6 hour drive from here. I have not done it, but would like to.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3517

FWIW,

CharlieP

quote:

I am looking for ideas for my second cache. Before you jump in, I know I have only about 4 finds so far.

Look for caches by "binthair" in Ottawa.

His multicaches, while usually doable in one day and trip (if you do your homework), are often ornery. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I am looking for ideas for my second cache. Before you jump in, I know I have only about 4 finds so far.

Look for caches by "binthair" in Ottawa.

His multicaches, while usually doable in one day and trip (if you do your homework), are often ornery. icon_smile.gif