Estonian Caches And Geocaching.com

Solarflare

Is it just my imagination or is it actually so that the majority of estonian geocachers log their finds only at http://www.geopeitus.ee/ and not to the official site? :rolleyes:

I did some limited research and got that impression. The consequence of this is that most of the estonian geocaches doesn't look too inviting, when they indicate that they are visited only once in a blue moon.

Well, how do you define official?

Everything in three copies, translated by a qualified (consulate approved) interpreter and not to forget all the stamps and seals. The more the better. :blink:

official (1) a, 1. virallinen, virallisluonteinen ~ notice virallinen tiedoksianto, 2. virka-, 3. virallinen, muodollinen; official (2) s, 1. virkamies, virkailija, viranhaltija, toimihenkilö, 2. toimitsija (kilpailuissa); municipal official kunnallinen viranhaltija; perform (one's) official duties hoitaa virkaa

Is there an international treaty designating geocaching.com as official geocaching site

I would rather call GCcom as de facto official site.

Compare it to computer world: an average user thinks all computers runs Windows because it is most common operating system. But there is also Unix, Linux or even Apple etc.

The existence of e.g. www.geocaching.ru has been explained by the fact that not that many people speak English in Russia. That probably explains the existence of also other eastern Europe pages, like Hungarian, Estonian and Latvian sites.

Even though the estonian television dubs some programs, the youth there speaks fluent english - just like us finns. I suspect that there's also an extra near-history related boost in motivation to speak some other foreign language than russian among the older people too. (I do not intend to sound negative here, and if I do it's purely unintentional.)

Edited by solarflare