Pocket Queries And The Palm

HELP!! I'm just now trying to go paperless and am not understanding HOW the Pocket Queries that we receive are transfered to the PALM (I have a PALM T3). :rolleyes:

I've gleaned from here that there is a convert button? I see none on the PALM nor EASYgps.

So far, I've received my pocket querie file and loaded it into EASYgps....now what?

I thank you for your help!

I use CacheMate from Smittyware (www.smittyware.com). It comes with CMConvert that converts the .gpx file I get as a pocket query into a .pdb that is then transferred to my Tungsten E. Then, on the Palm, CacheMate displays all the caches in the PQ, allows sorting, keeping a log note, and shows previous logs. It'll also decode clues. It's great for only $7.

I've been using it for three weeks and I'm still sort of figuring it out, but so far so good.

The only thing about not having paper along is that I miss having maps. Just having them in the GPS isn't as convenient as having a print-out to scan for the next destination. CacheMate will do a "Nearest Caches' list, but there's no substitute for a quick look-see at a map... :rolleyes:

The only thing about not having paper along is that I miss having maps. Just having them in the GPS isn't as convenient as having a print-out to scan for the next destination.

I just recently bought the Palm Zire for $41 strictly for geocaching. Mine only has 2 Megs of memory which is fine for the caches but with the memory capacity of the Tungsten E, why not intall a mapping program that you could import your waypoints into? :rolleyes:

Save yourself hours of hassle and buy a copy of Cachemate .  For $7.00, it's the best money you can spend to go paperless.  It has a utility to convert .gpx files into .prc format, and the app itself lets you search, sort and organize all your caches.

I have the Palm, I have Cachemate, I have the pocket queries AND I have a GPS. But I can't find a tutorial anywhere that tells you how you get the queries to the PALM.

People mention lots of other software with how to's on the net. However, my combination is PALM/CACHEMATE/MAGELLIN MERIDIAN GOLD/EASYgps and cachemate I find nothing and I know it has to be out there. None of my equipment manuals (including cachemate software) take you through the steps.

Can anyone turn me on to a tutorial for PALM/CACHEMATE?

Edited by StashSeeker
None of my equipment manuals (including cachemate software) take you through the steps.  Can anyone turn me on to a tutorial for PALM/CACHEMATE?

Have you looked in the cmconvert directory of the zip file that you downloaded yet? Usually, when people ask the same question you are, I just point them to the Readme.txt file in that directory, and that seems to help them well enough. Aside from what's in that file, you only need to Hotsync and run CacheMate to complete the process.

Hrm... maybe I should rename the "cmconvert" directory to "File Converter" in the next release, just to drive the point home :rolleyes:

The only thing about not having paper along is that I miss having maps.

I still print out road maps when I'm looking at where I need to drive for a given cache, as the GPSr is the only portable thing I have with that capability (aside from the laptop, but I'm not lugging that thing everywhere). It's nice to be able to leave that in the car, though, and not have to take pages of printouts with me to the actual cache site. I was doing that, myself, before bumping up the size of the description field.

Edited by Maeglin
Aside from what's in that file, you only need to Hotsync and run CacheMate to complete the process.

I'm obviously not making myself clear here and I apologize.

What I am not understanding is how to PHYSICALLY move the queries into the PALM. Is it through EASYgps that it is exported to the PALM OR Is it the Cachemate software that imports the caches (from where) into the Palm? Is it that the pocket file is dropped onto the QUICK INSTALL on the desktop for the Palm program and then Hotsync?

I've already printed the readme file that came with Cachemate and it explains what tools are needed but not HOW. Doesn't say, hook this to that, import this from that or export this to what?

I already have Cachemate installed on the Palm.

Signed,

SWMNGP

(Someone Who May Not Go Paperless)

Edited by StashSeeker

You must use the outside software (cachemate, GPX Spinner, Plucker, etc. ) to convert the file you receive (xxxx.GPX) from your query into something the Palm can read. Once that is done you Hot-Sync your Palm, and the caches should load onto it. CyBret has a page about how to use the Palm with Spinner and Plucker to get caches loaded which you can view here.

I've already printed the readme file that came with Cachemate and it explains what tools are needed but not HOW. Doesn't say, hook this to that, import this from that or export this to what?

The fact that you may be missing is that there are two Readme files. One is for CacheMate itself (Readme.html, in the main directory of the zip file), and one is for the file converter that handles turning the GPX file into something CacheMate can use (Readme.txt, in the "cmconvert" subdirectory along with the file converter itself). If you only printed out Readme.html, and that's all you're looking at, then that explains why you can't find the information you're looking for.

• Receive .gpx file from geocaching.com
  • Open file with EasyGPS
  • Attach gps to pc with cable
  • Download caches into gps
  • Close EasyGPS
  • Launch CMConvert utility (included with CacheMate)
  • Click on "Load file" button and select the .gpx file
  • Click on "Select All" to select all caches
  • Click "Convert"
  • Assign a name & location for the converted file (.pdb format)
  • Hot-synch your pda
  • Run CacheMate

You should now have matching waypoint sets in both your gps and pda.

I don't use cachemate so I can't say whether it's worth spending any money on, but you can use Spinner and Plucker for free and it works like a charm.

Here's an excellent tutorial on how to set it up:

http://www.geocacher-u.com/paperless.html

I tried Spinner and Plucker, and liked it. But then I bought Cachemate, a very well spent $7.00. That's all I use now. Very easy, very efficient.

GSAK on the PC, for loading, sorting, and selecting caches, converting the cache pages to html or whatever format you want, really between almost any formats, and uploading the waypoints to the GPS. Cachemate for taking notes in the field, and Plucker for sorting and reading cache pages in the field, using the html pages generated by GSAK. That's the way I do it, & I'm happy so far. YMMVW.

I agree, CacheMate ROCKS! It is inexpensive, easy to use, thorough, and -- the creator of this software LISTENS to his customers, and updates constantly to make it better. You get all the updates for FREE -- this program is a bargain.

There are lots of topics on CacheMate, and the author of it goes by "Maeglin" -- nice guy.

Bozz