Forums Used As Personal Playground

clearpath

Curious what others think about the geocaching forums being used by a select few posters as their own personal playground. There are those that seem to always have something to say in a thread and most of the time their response is nonsense (perhaps, I fall into this catagory). Not trying to 'single out' individuals and I am not directing this toward those posters that have something 'useful' to say. If there was a way to block specific posters from showing up on your PC, would you use this feature? I am not naming names because doing so would most likely get this thread 'locked' so please respond buy not mentioning names.

Sorry, but I'm no longer welcome in other forums, so I have no place else to go.

As far as blocking, or filtering, I don't find them to be particularly useful because the rest of the posts in a thread won't make any sense if the OP is blocked. I tried using this in some of the Usenet newsgroups, but found it confusing...so now I just scroll past posts by certain people.

Edited by briansnat

No I think I just mentally block it all out. I mean advertisements would bug me, but the continuous banter between a few sets of people is nothing.

No I probably wouldn't block viewing anyone, just when you get to thinking someone's post are all fluff, they actually something interesting :rolleyes:.

Absolutely!! There are lots of immature people in these forums that I would block, because they have, like, 2300 or more posts, and never post anything worthwhile. They just jump from thread to thread, derailing everything in sight with stupid posts......oh, hang on, smurf-boy just posted something in the Australia forum I need to reply to....brb......

Edited by Sparky-Watts

I don't mind having the forums as my personal playground :rolleyes:

No, I wouldn't block individual users out. (well, maybe Subigo, but he keeps changing his name so it would be hard to block anyway)

Blocking individual users wouldn't work. It would make other comments appear out of context unless someone quotes them. When someone quotes them, you would see the person you didn't want to see.

I probably wouldn't use it, except for the most trollish of trolls. The reason is that it would make following discussions difficult if there are gaps from users who have been blocked.

And as long as the interjections are funny and can be related to the topic by some stretch, even if they don't add anything insightful to the discussion, I really don't mind them being there.

I like to keep a delicate balance of about 70% useful advice and 30% nonsensical gibberish.  But that's just me.  :rolleyes:

I hope you aren’t expecting any change.  :lol:

Since the first 7 replies are on-topic, this one and the next 2 should be about something else.

Sax, I notice that your avatar photo was taken in bright sunlight. dadgum I miss sunlight...

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Criminal
I like to keep a delicate balance of about 70% useful advice and 30% nonsensical gibberish.  But that's just me.  :rolleyes:

No, not expecting change. One would only have to go back and view a small number of my posts to see that I am 70% gibberish and 30% nonsense. I was mostly wondering what others thought of the 'playing' that takes place in the forums.

Since the first 7 replies are on-topic, this one and the next 2 should be about something else.

Ummm....but if you expect to not get blisters when looking for a missing TB, you should wear the right hiking boot or just drive there in your cachemobile.

It's like spam. Some of it is amusing to read, but gets old, sometimes quick, and you learn to mentally, or through other software, filter it out and would rather not have to deal with it. What you can't filter out becomes fluff that you weed through and ignore sometimes to the point of ignoring the forums for weeks at a time.

It goes back to the issue of what is an on- or off-topic discussion/post.

It does not bother me, I'm sure I have been guilty of it at times. I suppose there is a fine line between interjecting some humor between friends in a thread and people seemingly just spamming threads. But this place would be pretty boring if there was none of that, and if it seems like too much so that it bothers people, I think scrolling past those posts is a pretty easy thing to do. Once in awhile though a thread with a valid and interesting topic gets derailed so quickly that the real topic never gets addressed. I find that unfortuate. However, on the good side, the topic often gets reposted again for serious discussion.

I would not block anyone if I had that option because as others have already noted, it would make some threads too confusing to read. Also, I can't think of anyone I would want to block anyway.

No, not expecting change. One would only have to go back and view a small number of my posts to see that I am 70% gibberish and 30% nonsense. I was mostly wondering what others thought of the 'playing' that takes place in the forums.

Well, there are some (no names) who will take every opportunity to tell you that you are not a real cacher because you have more posts than found caches. And, they won't be polite about it at all.......hey.....there's a cobweb in the corner that wasn't there yesterday. brb....gotta go get my gun and shoot me a cob.....

Sax, I notice that your avatar photo was taking in bright sunlight. dadgum I miss sunlight...

I thought the sun would give me a tan, but I just turned blue instead :D

I'd welcome the ability to filter or block. For some it would not interupt the flow of the thread at all. There's already a thread for 'Abject Silliness', it appears to be the busiest thread here, so why does EVERY thread seem to degenerate into that, sooner than later.

As always, just my opinion.

Some days I specifically look for the nonsense banter between resident knuckleheads. Other times, I avoid even opening certain threads based on what the title indicates I'll find.

I see the forums as a playground anyway; somedays I go to get my exercise, some days to watch the antics of others, and sometimes to contemplate.

Some days I specifically look for the nonsense banter between resident knuckleheads. Other times, I avoid even opening certain threads based on what the title indicates I'll find.

I see the forums as a playground anyway; somedays I go to get my exercise, some days to watch the antics of others, and sometimes to contemplate.

Exactly!

Hmmmm....ya mean someone thinks I tend to post an occasional tidbit of nonsense? Well, I am shocked!! :rolleyes:

I'd welcome the ability to filter or block. For some it would not interupt the flow of the thread at all. There's already a thread for 'Abject Silliness', it appears to be the busiest thread here, so why does EVERY thread seem to degenerate into that, sooner than later.

I think more topic starters need to take advantage of the "close this thread" option when the question they were posing gets answered. That would help to limit the degeneration of some of these threads.

so what's wrong with some fun and nonsense in the forums. we're not trying to solve the problem of world peace here. when a post goes off topic, it usually finds its way back. lighten up people. if you want to be serious all the time go watch a 24 hour news channel. that should depress you enough. i'll keep coming here for answers to things i have been wondering about, and for fun. :rolleyes:

Well, to be a tad more serious, I tend to interject more inane posts into the really inane and redundant topics. Just my way of letting the OP or others who can't resist giving their redundant replies in every post about what to put in your caching pack or what kind of hiking boots that they are boring and should have used the "search" function.

Also, when a topic is getting out of hand and too heated or off-topic, I'll interject some humor to make people step back and take a breath.....to lighten things up a tad.

Now, where did I leave my PDA.....oh, nevermind, I don't have one......

I'd welcome the ability to filter or block.  For some it would not interupt the flow of the thread at all.  There's already a thread for 'Abject Silliness', it appears to be the busiest thread here,  so why does EVERY thread seem to degenerate into that, sooner than later.

I think more topic starters need to take advantage of the "close this thread" option when the question they were posing gets answered. That would help to limit the degeneration of some of these threads.

For example, the "Caches in parking lots" thread has degenerated into a discussion of who's liable for auto damage in a store lot. The original question had been answered waaay up in the thread and should probably have been closed. Now it's just lingering on and inviting all sorts of off-topic discussion.

I'd welcome the ability to filter or block.  For some it would not interupt the flow of the thread at all.  There's already a thread for 'Abject Silliness', it appears to be the busiest thread here,  so why does EVERY thread seem to degenerate into that, sooner than later.

For example, the "Caches in parking lots" thread has degenerated into a discussion of who's liable for auto damage in a store lot. The original question had been answered waaay up in the thread and should probably have been closed. Now it's just lingering on and inviting all sorts of off-topic discussion.

Is it hurting anyone? If you have your answer, stop reading the thread! :rolleyes:

oddment...tweak...blubber... :lol: (Can't get too serious around here, Clearpath doesn't like that sort of thing) :D

Is it hurting anyone? If you have your answer, stop reading the thread! :rolleyes:

oddment...tweak...blubber... :D (Can't get too serious around here, Clearpath doesn't like that sort of thing) :P

Open thread... too tempting... must post...

I personally don't care. Some it makes for some entertaining reading. (Instead of working... :lol: )

the world does not run on a 9 to 5 workday.  i work 2nd shift  fri. sat. sun.  i don't have internet access at work.  the forums make me laugh.  sometimes not much else in the world does.  i'll take the smurf and the wet cat any day. :lol:

Huh? Ya mean this thread was about me? :rolleyes:

i don't know. i just know that you 2 make me laugh. :D

There are no posters obnoxiouse enough to warrant a filter in what I read online. Those who are that bad are very often banned soon enough, though I will admit some banned are not obnoxiouse enough for that filter either.

As long as I can say things like "just who is on your list Harrald", or "Come on Mopar they are newbies, not lower life forms" or poke fun at Sparky and Sax just because. I'm happy enough.