Name Some Things You Suggest To Put In A Geo-pack

Odwolda

Since I won't be caching for awhile (unless it starts to warm up for the weekend...even then there's still a lot of snow on the ground) I feel like putting together a pack or bookbag I can use specifically for caching. I just want to know: What are some things you suggest I put in/add to it? I'm heading to an EMS this weekend to buy myself a camelback (had one but it's dissapeared), so water bottles aren't needed unless I'm doing a multi-cache in the mid-summer. :ph34r:

I already have a really nice compass that should help when I'm narrowing in on the cache, I'll put together a small bag or container full of trash bags, and I have a mini flashlight to put in it as well. I'll think of other ideas but I just want to know some nice things to put in. I'm also reserving a section to place trade items in, too.

Edited by Odwolda

I don't know why, but the 'what's in your pack' threads are my favorites. Next would be the old 'what's in your vehicle' thread.

Here's an old 'pack' thread.

Personally, I rarely use a pack any more. None of the local caches require it. Therefore, I typically just have my GPSr, compass, trade item, and bottle of water.

Wow, I'll have to bookmark that page...thanks :ph34r:

What do you guys think about this Camelbak? I have $45 worth in gift cards so it'll be relatively cheap.

That's the exact one I have, buddy. Works great. Lot of water (70 oz) though, and good room for storage. Not too big but not too small either. I'll bring it to the NoVA event on 2/29 if you're able to make it. :ph34r:

Wow, I'll have to bookmark that page...thanks :ph34r:

What do you guys think about this Camelbak? I have $45 worth in gift cards so it'll be relatively cheap.

I've got the size smaller than this one, the CloudWalker. I wish I'd have gotten the larger TrailBlazer. Don't get me wrong, I really like the pack, just wish it was a little bigger. I saw mrkablooey's and it's just the right size.

Oh well, I'll wait until the youngest is walking and pass this pack on to the wife. Will give me an excuse to get a new pack.

F_M

Wow, another "What do you carry" thread, and nobody has mentioned anything about packing a gun?

Ooops....I just did......dang, just when it looked like this was gonna be a civil discussion, too! :ph34r:

Even more on-topic (yes, the gun is on topic), I don't carry a pack, or at least haven't had to yet. Maybe this summer, I'll carry a fanny pack, but for now, my coat has enough pockets to carry what I need. And what ever doesn't fit in my coat pockets can be clipped onto my holster or ammo sling. :ph34r:

I don't like the Camelbaks, I don't like having to do the cleaning necessary. And you either clean it every time or get sick, plus the plasticizers add a bad taste. I just throw a bottle of water in my pack - lighter and more sanitary. YMMV.

Down here in deep southeast Texas, insect repellant is essential year-round. I also have a rain poncho, since it rains a lot, plus trade goods, spare batteries, a compass, and a pen. Not in my pack, but carried almost all the time, are a Palm (which has a digital camera), a cell phone, a hat, a knife, and in my truck, ready to go, are rubber boots and a hiking staff. There is mud and water everywhere this time of year, and truthfully most of the year. I got tired of cleaning mud off my shoes, so now I wear the boots on almost every cache hunt. The staff is very useful for pushing briars aside, keeping my balance through the mud & water and across slopes, and for poking into places I don't want to put my hands. Snakes, scorpions, and spiders are also active down here full-time. Most caches are very near civilization, so there's no real need for extended survival gear. In other places, it may be advisable. So much depends on when and where you cache, it's impossible to give one list that will fit everyone.

What do you guys think about this Camelbak?

I have one and LOVE it. But not so much for caching. I've used camelbaks for years for hiking and biking, but I find them (and all backpacks) annoying if you need to get things out of them very often. Either you're constantly taking it on and off, or many of the things that start out in the pack end up in pockets. I have a very small (8x5x2) fanny pack that carries the essentials, and because I can spin it around my waist without unbuckling it I find that I don't end up with stuff in my hands or pockets much. The downside is that it's too small to carry water, but that's fine for caches with less than three miles or so of hiking (which is most caches). Going farther? Throw your already loaded little geo-bag into a larger pack and you're off. Items I carry in addition to those mentioned are a lighter (though I've never really needed it), and a six foot length of p-cord to use as a dog leash (or whatever else).

I don't like the Camelbaks, I don't like having to do the cleaning necessary. And you either clean it every time or get sick
I clean my camelbak less than once a year. I've heard people say they can make you sick, but it's never happened to me, despite visible mold growth. Seriously. Sometimes it sits for a few days, sometimes a month or two. No problems. An alternative to cleaning is to keep the reservoir in the fridge or freezer when not in use to inhibit bug growth. I don't bother though, I just leave it in the house, the car, or wherever and hope for the best.

A few things I carry that have not been mentioned yet include:

Duct Tape

Gloves

Rag (to wipe mud or water from cache and hands)

Wet wipes

Charmin / Kleenex

Sunblock

Small first aid kit ( I prefer New Skin antiseptic and liquid bandage, over band-aids )

Pain reliever

Amodium AD

Any other medication your group may need (Antacid, EpiPen … etc.)

I also carry a small tube of caulk to repair where animals have chewed on the cache box,

with a spare cache box in the car.

Happy Caching.

GEO.JOE

Since I won't be caching for awhile (unless it starts to warm up for the weekend...even then there's still a lot of snow on the ground) I feel like putting together a pack or bookbag I can use specifically for caching. I just want to know: What are some things you suggest I put in/add to it? I'm heading to an EMS this weekend to buy myself a camelback (had one but it's dissapeared), so water bottles aren't needed unless I'm doing a multi-cache in the mid-summer. :rolleyes:

I already have a really nice compass that should help when I'm narrowing in on the cache, I'll put together a small bag or container full of trash bags, and I have a mini flashlight to put in it as well. I'll think of other ideas but I just want to know some nice things to put in. I'm also reserving a section to place trade items in, too.

Sounds like you have it about 99% figured out.

I carry a bag that has little pockets and I reserve one for my caching/letterbox stamp and a second for little things (pins, buttons, unusual coins, geochips, etc) that I don't want sinking to the bottom of the bag. If your pack has something like this, great, otherwise I would suggest getting some small bag or container to hold this kind of Geoswag.

I have a universal case that was designed to go ove cell phones or eyeglass cases. It fits my GPS and a pair of batteries perfectly and can attach to the inside of my bag. Great to store my GPS in and to hold it in place on long legs of the hike where I don't really need to look at the GPS often. Again, if your pack comes with a strap mounted carrier or some other carrier, great, otherwise I would add one of these.

I'll include our Pack List as well, just for the record:

For Microcaches or Virtuals:

• GPSr

• extra set of batteries for the GPSr

• printed copy of the cache pages that you have planned to visit

• a couple of pens or pencils (to sign the logbook or to leave in those caches that don't have one)

• some 35mm film canisters with logbook/stash notes (for on-the-fly micro caches)

• digital camera

• sunscreen

• compass

• map of the area

• spare change

For Traditional Urban Caches, Add the Following:

• trade items

• extra log book (in case the one in the cache is full)

• Ziploc bags

For Other (Rural) Caches, Add the Following:

• water

• snacks (my personal favorite item!)

• cell phone

• hiking stick (also good for prodding in leaves or brush while looking for the cache.)

• small first aid pack (keep it stocked!)

• multitool (such as a Leatherman)

• small flashlight (one with same size batteries as your GPSr)

• safety whistle (one for each person in the party)

• lighter and/or waterproof matches and/or monocular

• fire starter bricks or balls (see tips below)

• large emergency blanket (can also be used for shelter)

• large trash bags (for CITO. Can also be used as an emergency poncho or for water collection.)

• insect repellent (Deep Woods Off is great. Wipes are also available and would be very convenient.)

• toilet paper

• water purification tablets

• Pocket Fisherman!

Other Tips:

• For rural caches, always let someone know where you're going and when you should be back.

• Get in the habit of always waypointing the car!

• By using a PDA, you can eliminate having to take printouts of the cache pages. You can also make notes and document your trades on it!

• Two suggestions for homemade lightweight and compact fire starters:

1) Put 5-10 cotton balls into a small Ziploc bag with 2-3 tablespoons of petroleum jelly. Seal the bag and massage/squish the mess until the cotton balls are loaded with the Vaseline. (You can vary the quantities as you see fit to get the right mix, so that very little loose Vaseline is left in the bag.) Put one or two of these in your fire pit prior to attempting to start your fire. You'll be impressed at the duration of flame they produce!

2) Collect extra wax from candles around the house and melt it. Stuff dryer lint into the compartments of an empty egg carton, leaving a small “wick” at the top. Pour the melted wax over the lint and let cool. These make great fire starter balls.

Wow, I'll have to bookmark that page...thanks :rolleyes:

Check the outlet section at REI outlet, there are some good deals there. I have a camelbak that I use for short hikes, but I bought the Kelty Moraine for longer hikes. I have little respect for camelbak due mostly to the high price and abysmal customer service. (I was deploying to the Afghanistan theater and my new camelbak bladder leaked right out of the box. The hoops they wanted me to jump through to get it replaced took longer than I had before I left. I bought a platypus reservoir and will never again bother with camelbak.)

You best bet is to visit REI now while it's cold and try on a few packs.

Check out the Mountainsmith Guide on the same website. It's got a Platypus hydration system (which I find to be better than Camelbak's) and it holds a bit more than the Camelbak you chose. It also has a very handy organization panel, where you can put pens, notebook, flashlight, extra batteries, PDA, etc...and they're right at your fingertips when you open it. No more fishing through the pack to find these things. It also has a clip inside for your car keys, and a sleeve for a CD player if you're into that (I keep my hiking permits and extra trail maps in it).

Edited by briansnat

Check out the Mountainsmith Guide on the same website. It's got a Platypus hydration system (which I find to be better than Camelbak's) and it holds a bit more than the Camelbak you chose. It also has a very handy organization panel, where you can put pens, notebook, flashlight, PDA, etc...and they're right at your fingertips when you open it. No more fishing through the pack to find these things.

Now that's cool!!! If only there were caches in these parts where I would actually need something like that.... :rolleyes:

I have used a variety of camel backs, but have always chosen ones that hold 100oz of water. The one I like the most is the M.U.L.E., it allows me to take the essentials, but does not have enough room to temp me to take everything I own. Its size forces me to keep it light and manageable. I did purchase an extra “pocket” that clips onto one of the shoulder straps. As for taste, mine always tastes good, never noticed a funny “plastic” taste before. Where cleaning is concerned, any thing that carries water should be cleaned and sanitized every once in a while to keep biofilm from growing. One trick I learned a few months ago, hanging around the mountain bike race circuit, is to take an ibuprofen before you leave. If you twist an ankle or some thing, the anti-inflammatory is already in your system and will reduce swelling faster.

Pack holds:

GPSr, when not in my hand

100oz of water

Geocahce first aid stuff (pens, bags. Etc)

Human first aid stuff

Flashlight I use the Streamlight Stinger nice and bright

Compass

Two way radio

Lightweight rain gear

Handy-wipes

Waterless hand sanitizer

Bug repellant

Rags

edited for spelling and added url for flashlight

Edited by Cherokeecacher
Check out the Mountainsmith Guide on the same website. It's got a Platypus hydration system (which I find to be better than Camelbak's) and it holds a bit more than the Camelbak you chose.  It also has a very handy organization panel, where you can put pens,  notebook, flashlight, extra batteries, PDA, etc...and they're right at your fingertips when you open it.  No more fishing through the pack to find these things. It also has a clip inside for your car keys, and a sleeve for a CD player if you're into that (I keep my hiking permits and extra trail maps in it).

I use a Mountainsmith fanny pack. Less bulky than a backpack. Also, in my neck of the woods, caches are so spread out, that I am always having to go back to my Jeep in order to drive to the next cache. So a hydration system, although kewl, is not a neccesity. I try to leave most of the snacks, H2O, and survival gear in the Jeep so that when I get lost in the woods, I can kick myself in the ASCII. :rolleyes:

Well, now you need a really big organized pack for all of this stuff. You may want to get a small fanny pack for those shorter treks when you need more than pocket space but don't need to carry everything around the trail. I keep both in the back of my cachemobile. It takes a few extra minutes to transfer things sometimes but it is worth it.

I carry with me at all times:

Trade Items and GPS, of course.

Emergency supplies for me

A multi-tool

Lighter

FRS Radio

Whistle

Compass

Flashlight

Water

Granola bar (or equivalent)

Emergency supplies for caches

Notebook

Pencil

Zip lock Bag

Film Cannister

In the car

First Aid Kit

Sunscreen

Maps

Extra water

Bug Repellent

and Walking stick (I don't usually bring it along because I tend to leave it at cache sights)

Does that help?