Cyclocaching Or Cyclecaching

Curious to know if there are many that mountain bike or road bike it to most of their cache finds. I'm new, but I make it a habit of doing all caches by bike. I think it makes it much more interesting, environmentally freindly and adds a sense of adventure a car just doesn't give me. It feels more basic. Anyone have any thoughts? And we need a bicycle emoticon too!

Eric, Avid Cyclist

:ph34r: <- That's what I look like in the winter commuting to work via bike.

Well, I'm sure you'll catch hell for typing mountain bike and environmentally friendly in the same paragraph. I can hear the can of worms opening up as I type.

Other then that, we've mountain biked to a few caches, and I'm sure once the snow is gone, and most of the mud, we'll do more.

I expect some of the hardcore guys like JamieZ will chime in soon.

Did that a lot til the first snows and ice.

There are many nice bike paths in the Chicago area that have a great number of caches along the way.

Cross country skied to place a cache today. This will be very nicely bikeable in the summer.

Jac5 - Ski-In

Lugged in a huge container - check the pic.

Hats Off to the local approver that turned this around in less than an hour I think. We've been home less than 2 hours and the cache is already listed. WoW!

Edited by maleki
Did that a lot til the first snows and ice.

There are many nice bike paths in the Chicago area that have a great number of caches along the way.

Cross country skied to place a cache today. This will be very nicely bikeable in the summer.

Jac5 - Ski-In

Lugged in a huge container - check the pic.

Hats Off to the local approver that turned this around in less than an hour I think. We've been home less than 2 hours and the cache is already listed. WoW!

We get to Chicago once in a while. It would be a lot of fun to do some bike caching. Are there any rental places you recomend?

I bike (yes mountain bike) to quite a few caches. Since I need to drive about an hour and a half to get to most caches now, riding from home is not an option. So I guess I'm not anything good for the environment. :ph34r: In case anyone cares, and I'm sure there are a few, I do not mountain bike if there are posted signs saying I can't.

I have ridden my mtn bike to caches. Many times per bike paths in the city, but have only done it once on my mtn bike ride. I was going anyway.

I think mot all mtn bike trails could be accesssed by hikers too and would not be exclusive to mtn biking. Unless you get it far enough in that mtn biking/vs hiking would mean too many miles for the hikers unless it was multiday.

Offhand I can't think of any caches I've seen (Colorado) that would be limited to mtn bikes. I have hiked many hrs RT for caches that were in areas where mtn bikes not allowed.

Heh.

Mopar beat me to it, although I'd hardly say I'm "hardcore."

I haven't found anywhere near the number of caches as Sept1c Tank from my bike. I think I've gotten a dozen or 15 finds house-to-cache on bike, and one other truck-to-cache on bike.

My favorite cyclecache was here, utilizing both road and mountain bike.

I also did a 4-cache trip around town with temps over 100 degrees.

Here's a bad pic of my handlebar setup:

GPSonbike.jpg

The problem I run into is that I'm wearing my cycling shoes and shorts, which aren't very conducive to off-the-trail caches.

Jamie

I don't have a bike...

I've got a Trek 460 I'll make ya a good deal on.

OT - while there are many bike trails in this region, there is a special trail in the Sacramento area that's something like 25 miles long. I think there must be a cache hidden about every hundred feet (OK, so I exagerate - but there's lots of 'em) along this trail. Our group did half the ride late last year and when the rains go bye-bye we're gonna do it again. A great way to spend a day.

I don't have a bike...

I've got a Trek 460 I'll make ya a good deal on.

OT - while there are many bike trails in this region, there is a special trail in the Sacramento area that's something like 25 miles long. I think there must be a cache hidden about every hundred feet (OK, so I exagerate - but there's lots of 'em) along this trail. Our group did half the ride late last year and when the rains go bye-bye we're gonna do it again. A great way to spend a day.

Any links or more info? We live right over the hill and are looking for a bike cache trip to go on. Thanks.

The problem I run into is that I'm wearing my cycling shoes and shorts, which aren't very conducive to off-the-trail caches.

Jamie

Yeah me to. Lycra isn't very protective, the butt pad makes it hard to walk, where can I leave the bike?, and the biggest problem is all the dirt and crap that gets in my cleats easily gets into my lightweight racing pedals and then I can't clip in/out right.

the biggest problem is all the dirt and crap that gets in my cleats easily gets into my lightweight racing pedals and then I can't clip in/out right.

I wear MTB shoes and pedals for this reason. Not just for caching, but for walking in general. Since I don't race, I'm not all that concerned about weight (within reason). I like to tour, so I need the ability to walk when I get somewhere.

I don't see where you keep your GPS on that thing. :rolleyes:

Jamie

My first find was a cache I biked to (not a mountain bike - Trek multitrak hybrid). I'd really like to do even more biking, but I live in a suburban area and the one I did is the only one around I could bike to safely. Lately I've been looking for benchmarks that I can bike to, but not even very many of those around.

It's interesting to bike with my homemade geo-walking-poking-stick - I used an old broom handle - it's probably 4 feet long or so and it's not easy to ride with! The really good thing about it though is that it is made of metal - so it works on the sensors in the ground to open the gates to my subdivision and let the 'smart' traffic lights know I'm waiting if no cars are around!

I have used a mountain bike on several occasions as it is my real passion. In fact I use the placements of caches to find new trails that I haven't biked yet. Or if I'm travelling somewhere I find caches in that area to hopefully find good bike trails. It has worked nicely so far. I enjoy trying to link different trails together so I use the roads as little as possible and still cover a lot of ground. I made a cache with a bike theme. See it at Cycle Cache

Edited by The "Inukshuk"ers
the biggest problem is all the dirt and crap that gets in my cleats easily gets into my lightweight racing pedals and then I can't clip in/out right.

I wear MTB shoes and pedals for this reason. Not just for caching, but for walking in general. Since I don't race, I'm not all that concerned about weight (within reason). I like to tour, so I need the ability to walk when I get somewhere.

I don't see where you keep your GPS on that thing. :D

Jamie

Usually I will eather not take the GPS or I will just put it in my jersy pocket. Since I do race I do worry about weight. When I am in a race I take off the seat bag, which has spare tubes and a few tools in it, because I will have a support pace vehicle.

I'm a roadie and bike to about 25% of the caches I hunt. Sometimes I want to get miles in and end up caching in lycra and cleated cycling shoes (and use cleat covers so I can sort of walk and scale short cliffs). Other times I'll drive my bike near a cluster of caches and bike with tennis shoes. I've been known to find caches in the middle of organized and club rides.

Many times I find caching on a bike easier than in a car, as I don't have to find a parking spot and can ride almost right up to the cache location. When the entrance to the trail leading to a cache is not obvious, searching for it with a bike seems much easier than finding a spot to make a u-turn with my cachemobile. Also when caches are clustered together, it's much easier than to drive, park, cache, drive, park, cache, etc.

Any recommendations for a first time Road Bike Consumer? I have ridden Mountain style bikes since I was a kid and I now do strictly commuting/in town riding. Any bikes I should be looking at?

I can't offer any specific recommendations, but I would suggest you simply go to a bike shop and tell them what you are looking for. I've yet to be in a bike shop where the people weren't helpful. Fortunately, bike shops are generally single-proprietorship kinda businesses and the employees are often avid cyclists themselves.

Given your short list of requirements (commuting) you should thankfully be pretty far from the $1000+ racing bikes.

Depending on where you do communting and in-town riding, you might find that a MTB is the best choice. They are generally very sturdy with tires and wheels that can handle pot-holes, curbs, and gravel. The relatively more-upright (compared to a road bike) riding position and suspension is more comfortable, and the gearing on a consumer MTB is generally more in line with the skills of an average cyclist. A MTB will be heavier, have more wind and rolling resistance, and offer fewer hand positions though.

A road bike's big advantage is weight, rolling, and wind resistance. A road bike is substantially easier to pedal on the road than is a MTB. The drop handlebars offer several different positions for your hands (and indirectly your shoulders and back) and road bikes are generally easier to outfit with racks or bags if you need to carry any stuff. Also, since MTBs are the fad, road bikes are less attractive to thieves. The ride can be jarring if the road isn't smooth, and most road bikes are geared too high for for the average commuter.

So-called comfort bikes might be an option too. These are mainly for those people who aren't concerned with a little extra weight and resistance when they ride since they don't plan to ride more than a few miles anyway. Comfort bikes are designed to be comfortable with an upright position and big tires. They're usually less expensive too, since they don't incorportate the latest technical designs and materials.

Almost any bike shop would be happy to show you models of each style and if you know what you plan to use it for, they can help you decide what would work for you.

Jamie

Ditto what Jamie said about bike shops.

To clarify, the comfort bikes we have are somewhere between MTB and road bikes in weight and rolling resistance. They also offer a suspension with less travel than a MTB but a lot smoother than a road bike.

No offense Jamie but few miles to a road bike guy might be longer than our daily commute. My commute is about 5 Miles. I can average 10 - 15 MPH on flat ground pretty easy. So my commute is about 25 - 30 min.

Edit:added link and made statments specific to our bikes.

Edited by rusty_tlc

I agree with Jamie that you need to go to the bike shop and look around and ask questions of the people there. It seams that you might be more interested in an older (used) road bike, to save on the money, or a comfort bike. If you do decide to go road bike, you probably don't need to look at the big money 1000+ dollar bikes (they can be as much as $7k right off the shelf) but the lower end $600 ones. I paid $1.2k for my rig not counting all the extras, but thats because I race. These are just my suggestions, go to the bike shop and let them help YOU make the descision for yourself.

No offense Jamie but few miles to a road bike guy might be longer than our daily commute. My commute is about 5 Miles. I can average 10 - 15 MPH on flat ground pretty easy. So my commute is about 25 - 30 min.

Yeah a few miles to me is 50+. Thats about 2 hours on an average day, any shorter of a ride than that and I won't bother.

I'm a roadie and bike to about 25% of the caches I hunt. Sometimes I want to get miles in and end up caching in lycra and cleated cycling shoes (and use cleat covers so I can sort of walk and scale short cliffs). Other times I'll drive my bike near a cluster of caches and bike with tennis shoes. I've been known to find caches in the middle of organized and club rides.

Where did you get the cleat covers? I have looked for them but can't find them. I have done that for very short rides, just flip the pedals over and ride in regular shoes. Your not the only one to stop a group ride for a cache or a BM.

Thanks for the advice. I will start shopping around, looking forward to spring!

Halden,

One other thing I wanted to add. If you haven't been to a bike shop recently, be aware that a good modern bicycle is not cheap. If you remember the days as a kid going to Kmart and getting a new Huffy for $80, you're in for a surprise. Good bikes cost several hundred dollars, and as pointed out by wildearth, can cost several thousand.

I'm not just trying to dissuade you, but trying to warn you. I know I was a bit shocked to discover that most of the bikes I wanted were priced more than $500. I ended up buying a bare-bones roadie for $400.

A good friend of mine had sticker-shock too. He ultimately decided to go the Wal-mart route and purchased a MTB for $150 or something. It now sits in his shed unused because something is wrong with his brakes.

A quality bike from a shop will cost more. What you get for that cost is a better-built bike of a modern design which is lighter and has better components. And a bike shop will help you out if something does break.

Jamie

I have to echo the bike shop recommendation. I'm in the market for a low end mountain bike myself since I stupidly traded my old Trek in for a low end racing bike thinking that I would like triathalons. I did one and decided I didn't like it! Anyway, my local bike shop is wonderful about helping find the bike that suits your needs, takes trades (thank God because I will be trading in that racing bike), does a free tune-up after a period of time, and are just generally helpfull all around. If you buy a bike at Wal-mart etc, you end up with something that breaks relatively quickly and you get no support to fix it. Then you end up buying one from the bike shop anyway and they don't like to take the Wal-mart bikes in trade! A decent bike does cost more, but it doesn't have to be cost prohibitive, just know your needs. For example, I know that I will ride on dirt and gravel, and will want to not worry about jumping over curbs in the city, but don't need a full blown Mountain bike. So, I will visit the bike shop and get a low end model or even a used one and likely be very happy. Basically don't buy more than you need, but get a decent bike shop bike and not a Huffy from Wal-mart!

Echoing, and expanding, on what others have said, you will see Schwinn bikes at Wally world, these are not the same Schwinn most of us grew up with, they are basically a cheap bike using the reputable name. Many unsuspecting consumers fall for this everyday, and then take them to authorized Schwinn dealers for repair. Most of the time they end up spending serious money to have the bike re-assembled correctly.

Just my 2 cents from what I hear from bike shop folks.

Thanks for the advice. I will start shopping around, looking forward to spring!

Halden,

One other thing I wanted to add. If you haven't been to a bike shop recently, be aware that a good modern bicycle is not cheap. If you remember the days as a kid going to Kmart and getting a new Huffy for $80, you're in for a surprise. Good bikes cost several hundred dollars, and as pointed out by wildearth, can cost several thousand.

I'm not just trying to dissuade you, but trying to warn you. I know I was a bit shocked to discover that most of the bikes I wanted were priced more than $500. I ended up buying a bare-bones roadie for $400.

A good friend of mine had sticker-shock too. He ultimately decided to go the Wal-mart route and purchased a MTB for $150 or something. It now sits in his shed unused because something is wrong with his brakes.

A quality bike from a shop will cost more. What you get for that cost is a better-built bike of a modern design which is lighter and has better components. And a bike shop will help you out if something does break.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. I have been price checking online and was initially a little shocked by the price but then I put this in perspective, I will save 40$ a month on parking and 60$ a month on gas, that's just going to work.

I was looking at about a 600$ to 1000$ budget.

Anyone know Treks?

I was originally looking at the 1000c

But Rusty recommended the Navigator 300

The only reason I started looking at Treks is because of Lance Armstrong so I am open to other brands as well.

In 1999, I rode the "Youghatomic", the 320 miles of the Youghiogheny River, Allegheny Highlands and C&O Canal Towpath from near Pittsburgh to washington DC. I did not in three days. Last year I took a leisurely four days and since I had recently discovered geocaching, I added that to my itinerary.

http://www.tasigh.org/gps/gap2003.html

I'm a bicycle commuter as well and now that the weather has broken, that is, the temperature is back up into the 20's and there's no longer a 2 inch sheet of ice on the bike trail, I'm back on the road after a month of (*blegh*) riding the bus.

Aside from the the few along the bike trails and some benchmarks, I generally don't have the time to go caching with the bike. There are a few that I plan on doing as bike trips at some point and some new ones along the trail to DC that I plan on doing again this year.

Anyone know Treks?

The only reason I started looking at Treks is because of Lance Armstrong so I am open to other brands as well.

Lance is cool.

I don't know Trek bikes very well, but what's cool is that most bike shops should let you try 'em out. If they have a couple on display, don't hesitate to ask if you can take it out back or in the parking lot to see how it feels.

I rode several different bikes before I selected the one I bought.

Here's me in my US Postal Service Jersey at an event. (No, I didn't ride there. :blink: )

1913098_500.jpg

Jamie

Anyone know Treks?

Lance is cool.

I don't know Trek bikes very well, but what's cool is that most bike shops should let you try 'em out. If they have a couple on display, don't hesitate to ask if you can take it out back or in the parking lot to see how it feels.

I rode several different bikes before I selected the one I bought.

Here's me in my US Postal Service Jersey at an event. (No, I didn't ride there. :blink: )

1913098_500.jpg

Jamie

I am also a big Lance and USPS fan. I originally looked at Treks but went with specialized for the better value on aluminum rigs. When I want carbon fiber or any other high end bike I will go for trek but when its aluminum you can't beat specialized.