12 Or 18 Satellite Tracking Ability...

Team DaSH

I've noticed that a few GPSr's out there have the ability to simultaneously track 18 satellites instead of the usual 12. My question is, is it even possible to pick up a signal from 18 of the satellites? If there are 29 currently in orbit, and I may be wrong on that number, you have to figure that at any given time at least half of them are out of "view" to your GPSr. I'm lucky to pick up 6-8 on my Legend. So, is this just overkill in an attempt to sell more units, or is there really something to it?

I used a program that would predict the number of satelittes visible, them most I ever saw on that was 14. You also have two WAAS satellites, so that means the most you could use at one time is 16 (maybe they are planning ahead for the third WAAS satellite). There is probably no functional diffrence between 12 and 18 channel units (except a possibly faster lock on time- and I doubt it), so most of this is just marketing.

Wyatt W.

I heard 24 with a few extra. 29 should be close. Who knows how many are really up there, NORAD?

[...]

Yes the military know how many they have up there. Sometimes they lose one, they add one and they track them all.

http://WWW.SCHRIEVER.AF.MIL/GPS/

is where the news is.

Do not worry about the message:

UNAUTHORIZED USE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION

You are hereby authorized by me :rolleyes:

Mouse to "Current Operational Advisory" and count the birds.

I heard 24 with a few extra. 29 should be close. Who knows how many are really up there, NORAD?

[...]

Yes the military know how many they have up there. Sometimes they lose one, they add one and they track them all.

http://WWW.SCHRIEVER.AF.MIL/GPS/

is where the news is.

Do not worry about the message:

UNAUTHORIZED USE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION

You are hereby authorized by me :rolleyes:

Mouse to "Current Operational Advisory" and count the birds.

I was very disappointed not to find any pictures of Mork when I click on the "Nanu Descriptions" link.

(I was also disappointed to find that they can't put together a working website. Won't somebody please tell them about their broken image?)

Edited by Prime Suspect