Just A Warning Here To Sellers.

RockyRiver

I had an Yellow Etrex here for sale and sold it to a person in California.

I sent it to them, after several emails. I offered them the unit to look at before they bought it to show my good intentions. I figured what the heck if they stiff me.

Well now that they have the unit they will not return my phone call nor my emails.

I lived and learned that even here there are those with less than perfect intentions.

$80.00 for the GPS and accessories is a drop in the bucket for me I just wanted to show that fellow GeoCachers were honest, but was taught not all people are that way. Be careful here in the for sale fourms my friends. Hopefully the buyer my be on vacation or away and it was a mistake, but I doubt it.

Edited by RockyRiver

I have more expensive units I wish to sell also, this was kind of a test also I guess to see how it went to sell a cheaper unit here. I wanted to show that this fourm could be trusted as a good place to buy from after reading several people here bought units that were defective or broke. I believe that 95% of the people here are good honest people and 5% are looking at all times here and elsewheres to take advantage of that.

I agree with posting their user name. After you can confirm that they were are not on vacation or out of the house, I think everyone needs to know who the deadbeats are. I have always considered this place very trustworthy, and will definitely take more precautions.

Maybe there should be an ongoing thread of the names of people who have stiffed other people. Hopefully it wouldnt grow too big. :blink:

I was emailed thru the message center here and given a persons name not a user name. Although I did not think about it till now I could do a shearch on the email address here and there name to see if I get results. I will not use there full name only there last if I do not get any results in the next few days. I'm not using the fourms to bash anyone even if they are a crook, thats the rules here and my my gullible behavior led to this problem. I dont want others ripped off but at the same time I will be a gentleman about it. They lived in Alta Loma, CA and gave a PO Box number .

Listing the person's name is the only way to protect everyone from this scam. I have sold things in the past here, without any problems but I put up 2 brand new Etrex untis and had no luck. It seems that people are taking people here and fellow cachers are skeptical. However, I sold the Etrex units instantly on Ebay and no problems- also got more $$$!!!; as well as other items. Too bad, this is where I would look first...if I was in the market for a GPS.

While this forums definitely can have it's problems, it can also be very useful. I think the key is dealing with someone you "know". For example, though I have never met Lazyboy & Mitey Mite, I've been involved in these forums long enough to know that I would be comfortable dealing with them. For someone like that, I would have no problem sending the unit up front for inspection if requested. There are others, that even though they've "been around", I wouldn't be interested in dealing with.

I recently completed a similar deal. It was done through direct contact based on an item I put up for sale that hadn't sold. Since I recognized the buyer's name, and time was important to this transaction, I agreed to ship the unit the next day (the same time the money was being sent). The transaction was completed smoothly, and based on some similar interests, we've even continued to correspond from time to time.

For example, though I have never met Lazyboy & Mitey Mite, I've been involved in these forums long enough to know that I would be comfortable dealing with them.

Ummm interesting in purchasing a horsey ranch??? :blink:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We've met many friends through this activity but sadly there are those with sock puppet accounts and there isn't much you can do about that.

While this forums definitely can have it's problems, it can also be very useful.  I think the key is dealing with someone you "know".

I agree, when I see a person that has just joined the Groundspeak fourms and wants to buy something I have, I am staying clear of them. I have not been a member long, but I have made many post and I have been actively caching in Charlotte NC if you look at my stats. Also I arranged a meeting of fellow cachers here in Charlotte to meet on Feb 15 of this month at a local pizza place.

Edited by RockyRiver
RockyRiver, this may come under Mail Fraud, I would go to your local Post Office and talk to the supervisor there, since you have this person's PO Box...Just a thought.

Good Luck

Jim W

I am going tomorrow to talk to my post master here and get the neccessary forms to fill out to log a complaint.

RockyRiver, this may come under Mail Fraud, I would go to your local Post Office and talk to the supervisor there, since you have this person's PO Box...Just a thought.

Good Luck

Jim W

I am going tomorrow to talk to my post master here and get the neccessary forms to fill out to log a complaint.

Very interesting, I hadn't thought of this.

Let us know what happens next. Wouldn't it be great to see this guy hammered?

You can write to the Postmaster of the US Postoffice:

Postmaster

City, State Zip

Ask for the address of record used by the boxholder when the box was set up. If you wish, tell the postmaster you need the information under the Freedom Of Information Act to settle a potential civil claim.

Send a self-addressed stamped envelope. It isn't required when writing the postmaster, as he gets his reply stamps free, but it creates a small obligation not to lose the request.

Research the approx geocoordinates of the address returned, just for fun.

Send a certified letter, return receipt requested, directly to the boxholder at the residential address given. Give 30 days for payment or property return, pending small claims action. Tell him you have documented a proper paper trail to him good enough for court. Ask for a volunteer to knock on his door for you.

Finally, if you get any confirmation of identity from an on-site interview, consider mailing to him an oversized postcard explaining your displeasure in bold print, weekly. It works to stimulate timely child support payments. Should work here.

The only way to sell on a forum like this is COD.

Seller is guaranteed payment.

Buyer has recourse if seller mails box of rocks.

With a COD paper trail verifying mail exchange

the buyer is subject to "federal mail fraud" charges.

Trip to the postmaster and things will go badly for seller.

COD protects both buyer and seller.

Rocky -

Whereabouts in Charlotte? I am also from Charlotte, near to UNCC. Probably you had the gathering nearby at Wolfman Pizza, maybe? I am new to this and am looking for all the advice I can as I get started.

Thanks!

John

I live near I 485 and Harrisburg Rd. And yes I helped get things going on the Wolfman pizza meeting. As for the Warning meter thats so if you make a post or do something bad here in the fourms they will warn you by your meter going up and at a certain point (I don't know if its a 100%), stop your posting or cut the account. Only you can see your own warning meter and I think the Admins. Now wheres that etrex, I know it was you. :unsure:

Actually, it says warning 0%, but the bar graph had me concerned! I think I'm OK. Still don't have your GPS, though. I am using someones' etrex legend. I am thinking of buying it. Are they decent units? From the boards I've seen, I think so. Would $75 to $100 be a decent offer?

I appreciate your help.

John

Edited by NCCamper2003

I applaud your trusting nature. But it is a shame you were taken advantage of.

I hate to hear stories like this, being a trusting person myself.

I hope they fall off a cliff while using it!

Not to die or anything that severe, just so they have something to remember their dishonesty with.

I'm sorry to here you got scammed. Makes it tough for newbies like myself when purchasing off the forums. There is an element of trust for both parties when purchasing online. I have sold two items over the web on forums and have had good success with both. When I sell, I accept postal check or bank/teller check so there are numbers to track and a bank to contact. i always wait until I receive and cash the check before I ship the item. You can ask their username and search the forums to see how sensible they are. If you aren't comfortable with them, terminate the sale. I hate ebay, as there are too many fees involved and by the time you bid a good price, you have to check back several days later and try to bid again, but usually it goes for near what you could buy it for online new. It is probably great if you are a seller, though. I hope all your other sales go well.

As a side note, found my first caches this weekend at and near AJ State Park. What ablast this is. My 2 year old loves the idea we are looking for treasure :rolleyes:

Bowfin

RockyRiver,

If you have a name, PM me. I'm a Deputy Sheriff in San Bernardino, CA about 20 miles east of where you shipped it. If he lives around here I can track him down if you have a name. I can knock on his door for you and personally deliver any message you may have.

These people need to go away. You can also file with the Postmaster and request an investigation since this is theft involving the USPS Mail system. Their investigators can look up PO box registration and make it available to Law Enforcement.

RockyRiver,

If you have a name, PM me. I'm a Deputy Sheriff in San Bernardino, CA about 20 miles east of where you shipped it. If he lives around here I can track him down if you have a name. I can knock on his door for you and personally deliver any message you may have.

These people need to go away. You can also file with the Postmaster and request an investigation since this is theft involving the USPS Mail system. Their investigators can look up PO box registration and make it available to Law Enforcement.

I have the postal inspector involved right now and I may be getting results in the next few days. Im going to wait and see. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know.

Ok,

Best of luck to you. The postal inspector will be the way to go, they can file a criminal complaint with the local law enforcement office were he lives. If he really did mean to rip you off, this is for the "America's Dumbest Criminals" TV series.

Things he did wrong:

1. Commit a crime through the USPS Mail making it federal jurisdiction

2. Have registration information on file here at Groundspeak

3. Have a registration record at the USPS

4. Hope this "all goes away"

5. Risk Federal Prison time for $80

What an idiot. Keep us tuned in please, I want to hear what happens.

Just a thought, have the buyer send the mney & put a 30 day money back guarentee, so if they don't like it they can send it back to you 7 get a refund. just plain business sense. :D

The problem with that idea is that people would abuse it. They would buy a sellers GPS and then in a week or two start wishing they bought a fancier unit. Then here comes back my new unit or almost new unit scratched up or broken and me eating shipping charges. Stores do a 30 day money back thing because they charge retail price and try to recoup there loss in selling large quanities. An individual selling used equipment would find it hard to do this. When I sell anything, I do however try to make the buyer as happy as possible and if the unit is not exactly as stated I will take the unit back, or come to some other agreement with the buyer.

...when I see a person that has just joined the Groundspeak fourms and wants to buy something I have, I am staying clear of them.

I am sorry to hear this...I have been signed onto Geocaching for quite some time, but just now have been able to purchase a used GPS (Gar. e Trax). So I have no caches yet to my name (Lord I cannot wait until I get my GPS - Slow mail!!)

Yet even though I am new to this, I would not have ripped you off...it is not part of my nature. I have something called integrity. Others do not.

Rocky River - Please accept my apology for the way that this person has treated you. Know that there are many good people out there, and I am one of them...even though I am new to Geocaching.

I pray that you get your money back, and this guy gets his just reward.

Jeffrey

P.S.

If all goes well...I might be contacting you for an upgrade in a few months (I'll give my new one to a teen :rolleyes: )

Edited by PastorJeff
Just a thought, have the buyer send the mney & put a 30 day money back guarentee, so if they don't like it they can send it back to you 7 get a refund.  just plain business sense.  :bad:

The problem with that idea is that people would abuse it. They would buy a sellers GPS and then in a week or two start wishing they bought a fancier unit. Then here comes back my new unit or almost new unit scratched up or broken and me eating shipping charges. Stores do a 30 day money back thing because they charge retail price and try to recoup there loss in selling large quanities. An individual selling used equipment would find it hard to do this. When I sell anything, I do however try to make the buyer as happy as possible and if the unit is not exactly as stated I will take the unit back, or come to some other agreement with the buyer.

This is true, I hadn't thought about it this way. I think for the most part people are honest in here & on the web in general, but sometimes you do get goofballs that are out to rip people off.

I'm looking forward to more info here. I just bought a MeriPlat from RockyRiver, it was shipped same day and arrived new in package, as described, for a great price. It's going on it's first geocaching adventure tomorrow with me! It's too bad he had to get ripped off.

I'm looking forward to more info here. I just bought a MeriPlat from RockyRiver, it was shipped same day and arrived new in package, as described, for a great price. It's going on it's first geocaching adventure tomorrow with me! It's too bad he had to get ripped off.

I lived and learned on shipping stuff. I now ship to address only and no PO Boxes.

Its Paypal or COD also, unless the person is a long time Geocacher here and a Premium Member. Glad your happy mattopia with the Platinum I sent.