'nother stupid question

Ma Bell

I just finished using easy gps. After painstakinly editing all of the waypoints into names, I fired up the new meridian and noticed that all of the stored waypoints had the full name of the cache and placer of cache name in the comments field.

Now comes the question, After 200 caches have been up/down loaded, will there be room for the description in the remaining 300 caches in that field? or will it remain blank and there will be just waypoints that I have no clue what they are?

Limit of 500 waypoints

Limit of 200 comments

Thanks in advance

-Michelle

ntga_button.gif

This is my third and final stupid question. (I hope)

Now that I have a whole bunch of unnamed waypoints in my gps, Is there an easier way to edit or delete entered waypoints than just deleting them one by one? The only reason that I don't want to do it that way is because, after I delete one, it takes me back to the nearest cache, and the ones I want to delete are the farthest ones. It takes soooo long to get back. (and eats up all of the battery life.)Same thing with the map 330. I was hoping there was some way to get the gps to throw up into an easy gps folder. I noticed that on easy gps, it has a place where it can get info from the gps.

Thanks,

Michelle

ntga_button.gif

quote:
After 200 caches have been up/down loaded, will there be room for the description in the remaining 300 caches in that field? or will it remain blank and there will be just waypoints that I have no clue what they are?

Um... Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you on this one. I've never had more than maybe 100 waypoints in my GPS at once. I don't know if you have an SD card, but I've found that by saving my waypoints in different files, I can keep the number of waypoints loaded into the GPS quite small. I doubt I've ever had more than 50-75 waypoints loaded at once. Does it say somewhere in the manual or specs that it can only hold 200 comments?

quote:
[A]fter I delete [waypoint], it takes me back to the nearest cache, and the ones I want to delete are the farthest ones.
I've noticed this with my Gold, too. Irritating.

quote:
Is there an easier way to edit or delete entered waypoints than just deleting them one by one?
You can clear the memory.

setup --> clear memory --> clear waypoint/routes.

If you don't want to delete them all, I think the easiest method would be to load them all into EasyGPS, use your computer to manipulate the the waypoints you want (delete the ones you don't need) and then reload the waypoints into your GPS after you've cleared the memory.

Jamie

I was worried that I had been doing it wrong. (quote: I noticed that with my Gold....)

Thanks for answering my questions. I was losing hope. I'm gonna clear the memory and start again.

We sometimes take spur of the moment caching trips and I want to make sure I have every waypoint in the area. The map 330 has way too many from Austin and Kansas. So they probably should be deleted. I just hate to part with things. I guess I could have a trip gps and a home gps. (Even though the new one isn't technically mine...)

Thanks again!

Michelle

ntga_button.gif

The first 200 get comments and then the rest zilch.

What you can do is make sure you have the latest firmware installed so that the 'Card Utilities' option comes up on the menu.

Load 200 waypoints, save them to card, delete, load 200 more sway them to card, delete, load 200 ...... etc etc.

Then just load the waypoints you want at the moment.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

No need to be embarrassed.

One of the neatest features of our GPSs is the fact that the manufacturers continue to enhance the features on their units (and correct any mistakes). They upgrade the software that runs the GPS. You can download their newest offerings free from their websites.

You're using Easy GPS so I know you have the cable for your GPS. That's all you need. Check your GPS to see what version you are now running (usually on the startup screen). Go to the manufacturer's website and see if there is an upgrade. It will include all instructions.

geospotter

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

setup --> clear memory --> clear waypoint/routes.

If you don't want to delete them _all_, I think the easiest method would be to load them all into EasyGPS, use your computer to manipulate the the waypoints you want (delete the ones you don't need) and then reload the waypoints into your GPS after you've cleared the memory.

Jamie

I have several garmins, but I clear my unwanted waypoints the same way often.

BTW in EasyGPS hilite the unwanted waypoints (backspace) will temporaroly (sp) disable the waypoints so they dont get sent with the good ones.

More rules = Less fun!

ntga_button.gif

NTGA member