Caching Article In The Commercial Appeal

bitbrain

There will be a geocaching article in Wednesday's Commercial Appeal (Memphis' daily newspaper). CWL, eStorm, Chas and I took the reporter, his wife and a photographer on a cache hunt a couple of weekends ago.

My wife, Goldberry, hid a new cache so that we'd have a new challenge to find for our demonstration hunt. We managed not to fall in the lake or any of the ravines nearby, and we actually found the cache.

We let Tom, the journalist, take my GPS and hunt a nearby cache so that he could get a good feel for what we're doing. Yep, he found it -- well, eStorm spotted it just before Tom stepped on it. :D

I'll post a link to the online version if nobody beats me to it in the morning.

...and the link I promised.

Treasure Hunt Gets Modern GPS Spin.

Newbies. Yep. I can't believe I've been doing this for nearly 2 years now. The article casts geocachnig in a positive light.

Maybe the new newbies will help us spread the cache density out a bit. Surely there are more hiding places in Fayette, Tipton, DeSoto and Marshall counties than in Shelby. Places with interesting terrain and challenging hikes. Places we wouldn't find on our own.

Come on in, the water's fine! I'd only suggest that you find a couple of dozen caches of various types before you plan your first. :D

Uh oh.

Here come the newbies.

You read my mind!! AHhhh!!

Get ready for a flood of micros!!

I'd only suggest that you find a couple of dozen caches of various types before you plan your first.

Worth noting again!!

Edited by CWL
I haven't managed to turn that corner yet.

I didn't see any mention of the deadpool in the article though.

Jamie

I didn't want to include more than one geekfest activity in the conversation that day. :rolleyes:

He may be doing an article on the slowly growing Bookcrossing.com activity in Memphis, though. As it turns out, the person who gave Tom my name for the caching article is an active Bookcrosser (Crossbooker?) so I told him about my library cache full of books registered at Bookcrossing.com. (Remember that one Mr. 'I wore long pants for this?') heh heh

I told him about my library cache full of books registered at Bookcrossing.com. (Remember that one Mr. 'I wore long pants for this?') heh heh

That was in my cynical days. I had forgotten that it was a library cache. Hmm, that's what I could do with all my old textbooks. :rolleyes:

Next time I'm out there, I think I might go barefoot.

Jamie

Uh oh.

Here come the newbies.

Jamie

You got it! Newbie here that read the article. I got online the day i read it, researched models here and at Garmin and Magellin. I went out this weekend and bought a Garmin 60c and am now ready to go. Once I figure it out that is. :blink: I think I got it down and as soon as life settles down...I'm out there looking for caches.

See ya out there!

Newbie here that read the article. I got online the day i read it, researched models here and at Garmin and Magellin. I went out this weekend and bought a Garmin 60c and am now ready to go. Once I figure it out that is. :lol: I think I got it down and as soon as life settles down...I'm out there looking for caches.

Cool. You'll probably be doing more caching than me in the near future. I haven't been out in a little while.

Jamie

Great job Bit & Chuck.... Some new blood might actually hide some caches inside the 240 loop and beyond in the outlying counties you mentioned. Bugman has Crittenden County pretty covered up though. We were all newbies once. The only way to grow the sport is with newbies. Great article. Thanks for being our poster-children. :D

Maybe the new newbies will help us spread the cache density out a bit. Surely there are more hiding places in Fayette, Tipton, DeSoto and Marshall counties than in Shelby. Places with interesting terrain and challenging hikes. Places we wouldn't find on our own.

Last time I was around Desoto and especially Marshall county MS, it would be hard to hide something out there, it wouldn't last too long.

When I lived in Tate Cty, my truck got stolen and they found it in Marshall Cty.

Uh oh.

Here come the newbies.

Jamie

Yep -- 1 more newbie coming in here as well -- I showed my fiancee the article, and we since we both enjoy getting out in the outdoors to do stuff, we thought this would be a neat thing to do. Tax refund went to a Garmin RINO 120, and once I get it figured out, the hunt is on. We'll be honeymooning in Gatlinburg, and are already starting to prepare a list of caches there to take 1 day of our honeymoon to do (lots of virtuals there). We also enjoy fishing, so once we get the hang of finding them, we may plant some fishing-related caches near some appropraite areas. Also may create a themed cache around part of my user name eventually -- if anyone has any guess as to the reference, just knock on wood for luck.....