Going Paperless

Over the past couple of weeks I have down loeaded I Silo and Pocket e-book software. Does anyone know how to get these files from a laptop into a pocket PC

Ipaq 2215. I have been trying for two weeks with no succsess. I am already set up with EasyGPS and pock queries. THe directions are not very clear for Isilo and I can not even find them for pocket e-books.

I just started using Plucker (http://desktop.plkr.org/) and GPX Spinner (http://www.gpxspinner.com/) with my PDA. They are both great. I'm almost totally pageless. I'm looking for a map program for my Palm Tungsten C PDA now.

Even on my ancient palm-IIIxe, Cachemate is incredible. Great program for $7 shareware.

On the PC, I use GSAK which is free. Nice thing about GSAK is the ability to upload a bunch of files in a variety of formats in a bulk update from a directory, so you can assemble multiple queries.

Once you use GSAK, you likely won't use easyGPS again....

For pocket queries, I think you need MobiPocket reader. You can select to have the queries sent in MobiPocket format. I tried it on my Palm, but didn't like it. I also use GSAK and Cachemate. GSAK does all the conversions, and Cachemate allows editing on the Palm. Cachemate is coyote ugly, with that ancient OS3 format, but it works, mostly. If I had to give up one, it would be Cachemate.

For PPC, I have no help, other than the advice to try MobiPocket. It has both Palm and PPC versions, and it's free for the basic version.

I use plucker and gpxspinner also. Having mobipocket crash repeatedly on me down in Key West was enough to make me ditch it for good. I could not find any more caches down there because it simply would not work.

I'm going to move this topic to the GPS Units and Software section since the topic fits better there. You will get better responses there as well.

Even on my ancient palm-IIIxe, Cachemate is incredible.  Great program for $7 shareware.

I agree, but there's currently no version for the Pocket PC.

I think the top choices are Spinner/IE or GPXSonar, but that's just from forum chatter. I don't have a PPC.

Edited by GeckoGeek
On PC I use watcher.

On PPC I use iSilo and GPX Spinner. My PPC just won't run GPX Sonar well for some reason. I've tried it and I think it's really cool and worth a spin on anyone's PPC. I'm a GPX Spinner junkie though.

trippy1976

Wondering what kind of problems you were having with GPXSonar? What type of PPC are you running, did you have the current version and did you (hate to ask this) read the manuals?

With those answered we or maybe even Fabien (the author) might be able to help you. It's a shame you can't work with the program. It's got all you need for gpx file management...

Over the past couple of weeks I have down loeaded I Silo and Pocket e-book software. Does anyone know how to get these files from a laptop into a pocket PC

Ipaq 2215. I have been trying for two weeks with no succsess. I am already set up with EasyGPS and pock queries. THe directions are not very clear for Isilo and I can not even find them for pocket e-books.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your problem. :D

I'd say nobody else (who has replied) can help either.

John

GpxSonar is a good choice for the ppc.

However If you can't get it to run then I would suggest just generating html pages to send down to your ppc. You don't need plucker or Isolo to do this. The Pocket PC comes standard with a Pocket version of Internet Explorer which will read most standard HTML files.

My suggestion would be GSAK. This application runs on the windows desktop, but can generate HTML pages and summaries that you can download to the ppc - no conversion required.

The best way to do this is if you have some type of memory card. You can generate the HTML files directly to the memory card (requires card reader on the desktop) then just insert the card in you PPC and you are done.

However, you don't need a memory card as this can still be done by just connecting your PPC to the desktop pc via the interface cable supplied with the ppc

trippy1976...

Can you please describe the problems that you've encountered w/ GPXSonar?

As a general remark, I wish that people who have problems would let me know about them instead of remaining silent. It does not take long to write an email or to post in the forums, so please express yourself :blink:

Regards,

Fabien.

Friends don't let friends use MobiPocket!

Yabbut, that's the only ebook format Groundspeak.com supports. I don't like Mobi either, but if you want to download queries directly to your PDA in ebook format, that's the only choice. If you have the technical knowledge to run other programs to get the queries on your PDA, then there are better choices. Some don't have, or even want, the knowledge. If Groundspeak would provide the pocket queries in other formats, then resorting to Mobi wouldn't be necessary. How much is Jeremy making off MobiPocket?

1. GPXSonar is PPC only, doesn't work on a Palm.

2. It requires the same premium membership to get the ebook queries. In fact, you can get both if you like. I started out that way, to compare them. I detest MobiPocket reader, so I dropped that option. I agree that the .gpx pocket queries are the best way to go if you're technically able, but for those who want simplicity, the ebook format offers that. All you have to do is install the query directly to your PDA. No conversion or anything else required. I like more control, but others may not care about that. Everybody has a different opinion, that's why there are horse races.

I agree that the .gpx pocket queries are the best way to go if you're technically able, but for those who want simplicity, the ebook format offers that. All you have to do is install the query directly to your PDA. No conversion or anything else required.

Pocket PC and GPXSonar

1. Save .gpx PQ to "PPC My Documents" folder

2. Plug in PPC to sync.

3. Open with GPXSonar.

Seems pretty simple to me, why use something like MobiPocket for "simplicity"? Especially, if it's as crappy as everyone says. Granted, I got nothin for the Palm guys, but the seem to like doing things "the hard way" :ph34r:

Pocket PC and GPXSonar

2. Plug in PPC to sync.

3. Open with GPXSonar.

Actually you can put your gpx files anyplace you want on your PPC including your memory card and GPXSonar will find them. I have Sonar on my SD chip and all my wp data files on my CF card. Works just fine. Nothing on my PPC at all which keeps it running that much faster. :ph34r:

I agree that the .gpx pocket queries are the best way to go if you're technically able, but for those who want simplicity, the ebook format offers that.  All you have to do is install the query directly to your PDA.  No conversion or anything else required.

Pocket PC and GPXSonar

2. Plug in PPC to sync.

3. Open with GPXSonar.

<Snip>

Granted, I got nothin for the Palm guys, but the seem to like doing things "the hard way" :ph34r:

BTW, using Cachemate is as easy as you describe if all you want is all the caches in a GPX file -

1. Run CMConvert -

2. Open GPX file (or the ZIP file you get sent as CMConvert does the unzipping for you)

3. Hit the "Select All" button

4. Hit the "Convert" button

5. Next time you sync all the cache info in the GPX file will be in Cachemate.

You don't need to "Open" anything with Cachemate as the caches will all be there as soon as you open the program.

Not exactly what I would call "the hard way", especially as there is no need to unzip the GPX file and no need to "open" anything from within Cachemate. From recieving the e-mail to syncing takes about 5 seconds.

If of course you want to select caches from within the GPX file for upload then there are various ways to select the data you want in CMConvert.

This is of course all on Windows, but I expect the other Cachemate conversion utilities work in a similar way.

<_<

I have a pocket pc and have gpxsonar and gpxview, both seem to work great out on the trail for the cach's description and hints and allow me to prepare for the next closest cach.

Let's say you go out for a long day of geocaching and find several, how do you keep up with them on the ppc? How do you find them on the ppc later so you can log them at Groundspeak?

If I'm asking an obvious question go ahead a flame me, just leave the answer after your finished.

Thanks in advance Josh

Learned Gerbil...

The obvious answer is ditch the PPC and get a $50 Palm and use Cachemate

Man, drop the religious war attitude! Do you really believe that you're being constructive with that kind of comments?. If you haven't tried something, don't knock it. :D

Pirates 3...

GpxSonar is meant to handle the scenarios that you've mentioned: with it, you can take notes and report on them later when you log your caches online.

I suggest that you read the manual for GPXSonar. I believe that it will answer a lot of your questions.

Regards,

Fabien.

The obvious answer is ditch the PPC and get a $50 Palm and use Cachemate

Man, drop the religious war attitude!

At the risk of inflaming a war, there are two advantages to his approach that should be pointed out:

1) PDAs are not sturdy devices that can withstand life along the trail. It's better to have dropped, cracked, dunked or otherwise destroyed a $50 Palm then the $$$$ PPC that is your brain.

2) A Palm with a monochrome screen will last a month or more on a set of batteries and is unlikely to suddenly need a recharge along the trail.

GeckoGeek...

At the risk of inflaming a war, there are two advantages to his approach that should be pointed out:

You're not inflaming anything. That's being constructive <_<

1) PDAs are not sturdy devices that can withstand life along the trail. It's better to have dropped, cracked, dunked or otherwise destroyed a $50 Palm then the $$$$ PPC that is your brain.

Pocket PC or Palm, I'd hate to destroy any PDA that way! That's why there are rugged cases out there such as the ones manufactured by Otter Box. They'll survive more punishment than you will :D

2) A Palm with a monochrome screen will last a month or more on a set of batteries and is unlikely to suddenly need a recharge along the trail.

That may be so and that's great. But who really spends a month away from any power source?

I'm a PPC user myself but you'll never hear me making ignorant comments about Palms, Garmins or people who happen to make choices different than mine. There's nothing to be gained from it.

I say to each his own!

Regards,

Fabien.

That may be so and that's great. But who really spends a month away from any power source?

You never know with some people. :D

While I'm sure it depends on the model, can all PPCs spend a long geocahing day away from power? I was under the impression a few models even when new will die before you need to recharge yourself by caching some z's. Knowing that the unit you have will outlast you is worth something. Also since a monochrome Palm will last so long on alkalines, there's no concern about decreasing run time as the rechargeable battery ages.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Whether you decide to use a PPC or a Palm is a personal option. I am not afraid to hike in the woods with my PPC, and am sure that either type of device could end up in the trash out container if care is not taken. With the logic expressed in this thread, anyone that uses a Meridian Gold instead of a Gheko would be in the same situation.

I freely choose to bring my PPC along as well as my Magellan Sportrac and my Garmin GPS12. If I take a bad fall I could be out all those devices.

Of course if bad luck strikes, you could lose any device, like I lost my first Garmin Venture.

Enjoy the quest, with whatever tools you choose to use.

With the logic expressed in this thread, anyone that uses a Meridian Gold instead of a Gheko would be in the same situation.

Except for units that are PDA/GPS, just about all GPS units are built much more strongly then PDAs. GPSs are designed to be used outdoors on the trail. Water tightness for one thing. GPSs also lack the fragile touch screen.

1) PDAs are not sturdy devices that can withstand life along the trail.  It's better to have dropped, cracked, dunked or otherwise destroyed a $50 Palm then the $$$$ PPC that is your brain.

3) A $50 Palm, with it's black & white display is much easier to see in daylight than the color TFT screens of a PPC. (I'm not saying this to try and knock the PPC since I use an iPAQ 4150 myself. Just trying to add a realistic fact.)

Edited by Jeeters