Tb's That Never Make It Out Of The Starting Gate..

Imajika

I know, I know. Having a TB is a risk. Sometimes they travel for 1000's of miles, sometimes they just drop of the face of the earth.

I dropped off ET: The Extra Travelbug in this cache on January 21. Sadly, he is now gone. No one has logged him and the cache owner verified that ET was not there when he went to do cache maintenence. I even had a laminated tag attached stating he was NOT a trade item and gave instructions on how to log him in and out of caches.

So how many of you out there have had travelbugs never make it out of their first cache? I will miss ET. Alas, I barely knew him! Let's have a memorial for those poor travel bugs out there that never had a chance. :D

Edited by Imajika

Ah yes, it has only been two weeks. I am hoping that he isn't gone forever but if he is, well...I hope he goes to TB heaven. :D You'll notice I haven't marked him missing yet. I am still hoping someone finds him/logs him.

I was just wondering about some other cachers bugs that never made it.

I had a couple that seemed to have starting problems.

1 sat stagnant for weeks. The other was taken almost as soon as I put it in the cache, but the cacher wouldn't move it on and sat on it for about a month before moving it despite requests from me to move it or send it back. He eventually moved it, but its now in the hands of some other cacher that seems to be taking his/her sweet time in moving it.

Give the TB a month, then grab it back and send out the number on a different tb or if you have a listing of who took it, give them a friendly email reminder.

Is it appropriate to use a TB alone with nothing attached?  It would seem that this would allow TB’s to be placed in some micro caches.

It's your bug, you don't have attach anything if you don't like. I actually have a few out there that I started as just the TB with the goal of attaching things and removing things from the TB. :blink:

I placed "JaakTheDog" in a cache that was then archived 2 days later. Thankfully I was able to go back out and retrieve it before the cache was physically pulled. Another of my TBs was handed off at an event cache, so I know the holder is a responsible cacher, even though it hasn't moved. The one that tees me is my first, which went to arizona and then was claimed by someone who found 7 caches in a week span and then has stopped caching - and doesn't respond to emails.

I am convinced that GeoCaching.com's emails flunk some spam filter tests. I was with a cacher today who tells me that some percentage of his notification emails are flagged as spam, and he has to look in a spam folder to retrieve them. You email people and they don't respond - but you have no way to know if they even got the email, and since the email is partly formatted by GC, you have no way to deal with spam filter flunking. Argh.