A Better Way To Promote Benchmarking

TEAM 360

Just a suggestion, as this is the place for them:

Instead of having the link simply say "Nearby Benchmarks" on the cache pages, why not make it say "5 Benchmarks within 1 mile" (however many there happen to be).

This would be a great reminder to cache hunters to look for any Benchmarks nearby.

Edited by TEAM 360
Why would I want to look for benchmarks? At least virtuals have a marker for me to read if I want to.

Benchmarks are fun because often you are required to do some detective work at the scene to find the dadgum things. I hunted a benchmark that had two reference markers associated with it. I found one of the Ref markers first, followed the arrow to the station mark, but could not find the second reference marker because the directions to all the markers were off a flagpole that no longer existed. So using back bearings I was able to triangulate the original position of the flagpole and then follow the directions to find the second ref marker.

It was good brain exercise

Edited by Criminal
Instead of having the link simply say "Nearby Benchmarks" on the cache pages, why not make it say "5 Benchmarks within 1 mile" (however many there happen to be).

It is an interesting idea, but it can get a little database unfriendly. I'll add it to the growing feature list. Thanks!

It is an interesting idea, but it can get a little database unfriendly. I'll add it to the growing feature list. Thanks!

I'm not sure how it would be unfriendly to the db as the nearest caches link. The number of caches is changing all the time, but the number of nearby benchmarks is static (except when you update the bm db.) You should be able to run the query once for every cache page, and then only when new caches are created.

Well, assuming, i understand the backend for gc.com correctly.