Find Your Percentage

There have been a few threads about nearby caches, your percentage of unfound caches, etc.

I've figured out how to make this a more meaningful stat.

Do a search from your home coordinates without filtering your finds. Count the number of unfound caches on the first 5 pages. This will give you a number of unfound caches out of the nearest 100 to your home. List this number and the distance of the 100th cache.

This will show both the percentage of unfound caches in your area relative to your cache density.

You could also do an unfiltered search and a filtered search to get the numbers for 100 miles, but I imagine the majority of cachers have most of their finds within the first 30 miles from their house. (I have 214 unfound out of 338 within 100 miles)

Here are my stats:

I have 12 unfound caches out of my closest 100. This means I have found 88% of the caches nearest my home (see how easy the math is?)

The 100th cache is 13.8 miles away

Also, out of those 12 caches:

2 are virts, 2 are multis, 8 are traditionals

The closest unfound is #35 on my list, but has never been found

#38 is a virtual

#45 is a 4/2.5 multi

#50 is a 4/3 puzzle cache

#52 is a 3/3 traditional

I was quite surprised that I have that many caches near my house. There are 62 caches within 10 miles!

How are you supposed to be figuring your placed caches?

CR

Since filtering finds also filters out your own caches, I'd count them as finds (they aren't unfound, are they?)

So I could just hide a bunch to get my score up?

I'd think you would throw out your own hides.

I suppose the person that has placed 50 caches would skew the numbers, but this is meant to be a simple exercise. Most cachers haven't placed that many caches. The first 5 pages on your search equal 100 caches. Count the number of unfound and subtract from 100 for your percentage of finds.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

97 out of the first 100 are unfound. Leading for a whopping find of 3% of my local caches, with the 100th cache being a whopping 20.1 miles away...

You know, I always thought my area wasn't very cache dense compared to some metro areas, but if you go to places like my aunts house in Wheeling, WV, there's like no caches around there...

I'm almost embarassed to admit this. I came up with 67%. I moved a few months ago, about 50 miles north of where I was primarily caching. I haven't had much time to find caches (not to mention it's cache bare around here) since I moved to the new digs. So my numbers would be slightly higher if I were using my old home coordinates, I think.

Edit: My 100th cache is 29.7mi away.

Edited by Mr. 0

84% for us. With the 100th falling at 15.3 miles from our home.

Of the 16 left, one is a multi, 2 are subscriber only (one of them still unfound,(gcgtf9).

The 16 caches all have a consolidated (d+t) rating of 4 or greater. The highest terrain rating is 4.5 (for the subscriber only unfound cache). The highest difficulty rating is a 3 and there are 3 of those.

These are the 13 caches that tease and terrorize my dreams with their proximity and unreachableness (for my current fitness level):

(1.5/2.5) Hellgate 11 by Leonata (GCF319)

(1/3) Bag'N'Tag V by asatruar (GCF860)

(1.5/3) Everest? by Leonata (GCF31C)

(1/3.5) A Mass for the Micros: 2nd Movement by Rye_and_Leigh (GCGZD3)

(2/3) Davis Point Cache by Rye_and_Leigh (GCAFAD)

(1/4) A Mass for the Micros: 3rd Movement by skydiver (GCGZB1)

(2/3) Happy Meal by four S (GCG102)

(2/3.5) Dam the Bass by Macduff (GCGXKC)

(3/3) Moveable Feast #1 by asatruar (GC9B85)

(3/3) Back in the Saddle Again by Leonata (GCF440)

(2.5/3.5) The Sentinel Cache (aka Mountain Troll's Revenge) by Rye_and_Leigh (GC5705)

(1.5/4.5) Patron of a Happy Death by Rye_and_Leigh (GCGTF9)

(3/4) Close Enough Cache by asatruar (GC8420)

-Jennifer

My score is 26%.

#100 is 19.2 miles.

I'm in a suburb 20 miles north east of Detroit.

I've only been active since November '03, but I am seriously addicted.

I'm out just about every weekend, even in the recent snow we've been having.

(about 2 feet accumulated on the ground in the woods now)

Do a search from your home coordinates without filtering your finds. Count the number of unfound caches on the first 5 pages. This will give you a number of unfound caches out of the nearest 100 to your home. List this number and the distance of the 100th cache.

I have found all 100 that are closest to me (including about 5 that I have hidden). The 100th cache is 21.1 miles away.

I have found all 100 that are closest to me (including about 5 that I have hidden). The 100th cache is 21.1 miles away.

We have our first winner! Your cache density is also pretty low, not bad!

Now this stat would be very interesting to compare to 'spread maps' for comparison.

For me I have to go the fourth page for unfound caches. On the first 5 pages 17 are unfound, so im at 83%. The 100th cache is 34.9 miles away.

For 50miles 169 -72 unfound=97/169= 57%

For 100miles 444-336 unfound= 108/444= 24%

This is a fresh and interesting stat...

97% found

3 unfound caches as follows:

#1 - within walking distance...just haven't bothered yet

#93 - couldn't find it, neither could the last 3 others...burried under a couple feet of snow.

#96 - close to #93...haven't tried it yet

100th cache is 23.1 km from home.

:D Man, I'm a sucker for stats. Of my closest 100,

the closest unfound is 29.3km from the house.

the furthest unfound is 63.4km from the house.

There are

6 unfound virts

27 unfound traditional

2 unfound multis.

All told, the found percentage is a wopping 65%. A month ago, it would have been much higher, but there has been a flurry of new caches in the area, about 10 of them.

My percentage is at 88% just like the Saxman. Cache 100 is 13.1 miles away here in Pittsburgh. Looking at the unfound ones, two are webcams I'm just not very interested in, two have beaten me with unresolved DNF's, four are multicaches or puzzle caches that I'll enjoy more when the weather is better, and the rest are fairly recent placements. If I sweep through an area and clean it free of unfound caches, I try not to head back there every time a new one pops up. The closest unfound cache is 4.5 miles but it was placed on the same day when I found all the other new caches in that part of town.

I would agree with Quest Master that sometimes it is more fun to NOT find a cache. :D

Total posts x Time spent reading posts + Number of personal posts - Time editing posts / Total users on forums + (Number of bathroom trips x Caffinated Beverages consumed) - Number of times wife nags about taking out trash while in forums + (Sugary snacks / Distance to refrigerator) x what-the-hell-was-I-posting-about-again? = _______

Total posts x Time spent reading posts + Number of personal posts - Time editing posts / Total users on forums + (Number of bathroom trips x Caffinated Beverages consumed) - Number of times wife nags about taking out trash while in forums + (Sugary snacks / Distance to refrigerator) x what-the-hell-was-I-posting-about-again? = _______

Now there's a stat I can live with! :D

I found ALL the closest 100 except for 5 that are mine and 1 event cache that is over a month away. I'd say 100%, but that's just me.

Number 100 is only 10.1 miles away! Didn't realize that there were that many that close. I just find 'em.

I kept going out to my 10th page to find my closest 'findable' cache - number 194 - which is 15.1 miles away. There are 3 'temporarily disabled'(since last summer - but thats another thread) currently in my closest 200. The 200th is only 15.4 miles away so I'm rather 'cache rich'.

Edited by maleki
53 unfound caches out of 100 in a 6.4 mile radius...out of those about 40 are disabled caches.

40 ot of 100 'temporarily disabled' - THATS TERRIBLE!

What's your zip?

Nevermind...

Clicked on your profile for the answer. Why so many disabled? I'm annoyed by the 6 currently on my first page of unfound caches.

Edited by maleki

I've found 91% of the 100 nearest, and I'm including my hides as finds in that total. Of the not-founds, 4 are multis, 4 are virts (but all four should really be classified as locationless), and the last one is a traditional. The 100th cache is 17.8 miles away. The unfound caches are spread far and wide - I usually wait until there is a "critical mass" of caches so I can make a day of the trip with the least amount of driving per cache.

I need to move somewhere where you can find 100 caches within 10 miles of your house!

Edited by ZingerHead

56 not found out of closest 100 (44%)

#100 is 57.5 miles away.

How do you fit 100 caches in a 10 mile or or 6 mile or less radius. Are they in every bodies back yards, corn fields and creeks? :D

There are only 10 caches in a 10 mile radius from my home. I guess I got some cache placing to do. :D

Happy Caching. :D

GEO.JOE

Of the 100 caches nearest my house:

10 are ours (10%)

5 are unfound by us* and are active so we've found or hidden 95%,

1 is unfound by us but is archived (94% total)

100th cache is only 8.4 miles away - what a difference a couple of years makes!

*I have decided to not cross post my finds - 4 of our finds were posted else where but I have included them as finds.

George