New User Needs Help!

downeyville

"I know! I know!", she says jumping up and down while waving her hand! And I will share the method. I received a Garmin eTrex from my husband for my birthday in Sept. and had to figure it out for myself. Go to pages 14 and 15 of the Owners Manual and read the captions under the photos in the margins. What you need to do to enter a waypoint is: go outside, turn on your eTrex to the menu page and go to the Mark option; mark your current position (it won't matter what that position is); instead of clicking "enter" on the OK, scroll down to the first coordinate and press "enter"; then you can edit the waypoint numbers to show the ones you want for a cache; when the coords are correct you press "enter" again. Then, where a number appears in the flag, you can change that to the name of the cache you just entered the coords for; once you have changed the name, press "enter" on the OK, then again when the waypoint page comes up. If you need more help, you can e-mail me.

PeachyPA, Punxsutawney, PA, where that @($&% groundhog just predicted 6 more weeks of winter and we have 8 new inches of the white stuff on the ground today.

You don't necessarily have to go outside unless you want to track the satellites. If you have the Yellow one, turn on the unit and press the upper right button until you come to the menu that lets you select "Mark" and select it. Then follow Peachy's instructions. Especially the part about changing the name. Otherwise you'll have a bunch of waypoints with numbers for names. The waypoint will be stored and you can synch up with the satellites when you actually go.

I use a serial cable and EasyGPS at home and the above method when I'm out on a multi-stage. Be sure to become familiar with the manual method or you may experience a few minutes of panic when you have to actually enter the coords. Not that I know this first hand or anything. :D

Man, I'm glad I checked this forum out! I'm new to this as well. I read an article in the paper last week about geocaching, visited this website, studied the Garmin and Magellin websites then went out and bought a Garmin 60C over the weekend. I couldn't find anything in the manual about entering numeric coordinates either. I finally found a way in the software for the PC where I could enter a geocach but nothing about just entering a waypoint with the coordinates.

I'm pretty gadget savvy and was a little embarassed at myself for not figuring it out on my own. :blink:

Oh well. Thanks Peachy! :D