Go A Gps

auntdaf

A friend gave me a gps. its a Garmin GPS 76. I try and set it but nothing works the time and date are wrong. the waypoints dont work. Does anyone know how to set it to find a cache and make the date and time set. the manual said that you cant set the time and date. I would really like the help. Thank you Daf

have you picked up sattelites with it? that's where it will get the date and time from. try taking it outside and setting it down with it turned on and leave it set for a while. if it doesn't have the almanac data(where it needs to look for the sattelites) this could take a while. it should get this by setting still and just looking for the sattelites. i hope this helps

Hello, you sounded familiar. I see you have found some caches here in Bremerton, Washington, also in the SW part of the state. I am no expert but I do have a 76S.

It is my guess that once the GPS finds itself by letting it acquire sats it will get the time from them. Then you can go into the setup and set it for your timezone and the date in the format you wish. Be sure you have fresh batteries in it. Good luck

Dick, W7WT

have you picked up sattelites with it? that's where it will get the date and time from. try taking it outside and setting it down with it turned on and leave it set for a while. if it doesn't have the almanac data(where it needs to look for the sattelites) this could take a while. it should get this by setting still and just looking for the sattelites. i hope this helps

And by a while, he means 30 to 45 minutes.