Publicizing Geocaching

Guest David Plendl

Guest David Plendl

I recently placed my first geocache, the first within 100 miles of Tallahassee, Florida. I learned about geocaching from an article in the Atlanta Journal (300 miles away). I don't think too many, if any, people know about geocaching in my area. What is a good way to popularize the sport here? I do a lot of biking and I am thinking about posting flyers at bike shops and tailheads. Any other Ideas?

Guest Quinnow

I had the same problem as you ...I live in upstate Ny and there are almost no caches at all here. I planted 3 of my own and the other 2 are an average of 65 miles away from me. What i did was made a local website for the Ny state, this way people can see area events and happenings as well as cache locations. I then contacted the local news stations and newspapers to see if they would be interested in doing a story. No more than a day after I did, I was contacted by both and just finished a TV spot and a large article in our paper, this for sure will open some eyes and put more caches in my area as well as yours. You dont need a web site to get the news interested....just call!

here is a small caption from the news story i did, on TV it was about 90 seconds long and did great. http://www.wroctv.com/now/story/0,1597,280683-267,00.shtml

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com