Waistpack.... Fannypack....lumbar Pack?

wandering4cache

OK, don't laugh at my stupid post.

I'm looking for a small (but adequate size) pack to wear around my waist...but in the FRONT. What are these called? Waist OR fanny OR lumbar? Lumbar goes in the BACK, right?

If you look at our profile, you will see I'm a bit on the heavy side. So it will need to be able to go around my waist. I would like it to have 1 water bottle spot; and not stick out TOO much in the front, since I'm already fat enough there.

Since hubby is getting himself a new GPS, I'm getting the old one (Legend)...and I'm gonna need a pack of my own now. Something around the 400 cu inch size I think to hold all the junk I carry. LOL (I ordered a 575 cu inch lumbar pack ...but it's too big I think to wear in front.)

He has a nice one we ordered from LLBean a few years back; hold bottle; but it just about holds GPS, camera...and a couple small items.

Not anything too technical....since we tend to do terrain 1 to 2.5....and about 1.5 mile round trip max. Something that could double as theme park pack too would be great!

Any good websites to search? Thanks for any help.

Edited by wandering4cache

the traditional name for such a garment is "codpiece" which is not traditionally worn by women. since the true codpiece has been out of vogue for some time, i think you're fine wearing your fanny pack hind-side-to.

your only real restriction here is how goofy you want to look, which, since you hang out here is probably not a real concern for you.

remember that you WILL fill all availble space, so consider carefully how big a pack you get.

but you never CAN have quite enough cute little bags. or shoes.

i just bought the CUTEST little shoes.

Well, since I hang out here & alot at DisneyWorld (& theme parks).....this pack will get alot of use. To tell you the truth, the fanny pack I have around my waist in profile pic, I use most days as a pocketbook too. So, I'm not a styling kinda girl. LOL

I seem to collect backpacks & fanny packs...... I never can find the right one for the right occasion. Same type of problem true women have with pocketbooks & shoes. LOL

Oh....and I have the cutest caching "shoes" too. LOL

I'm thinking 300-400 cu inces might do it now. I wish I knew how big hubby's is. (His pack .....get your mind out of the gutter). I want just a bit bigger than that.

Assuming that's the hubby standing next to you in the pic, I'd suggest you consider taking him along on your geocaching expeditions and let him carry the extraneous equipment. You can carry the GPSr in your hand, or even a pocket, and realize full and complete geocaching enjoyment with that level of freedom. :)

Edited by gallahad
To tell you the truth, the fanny pack I have around my waist in profile pic, I use most days as a pocketbook too. So, I'm not a styling kinda girl. LOL

I seem to collect backpacks & fanny packs...... I never can find the right one for the right occasion. Same type of problem true women have with pocketbooks & shoes. LOL

Oh....and I have the cutest caching "shoes" too. LOL

i was going to ask what's wrong with the one in your pic...

so here's my rundown: i have a camelbak hawg which i use for heavy-duty caching. it contains my emergency kit, 100 ounces of water, and my full cache bag, replacement ziplocs, and pens and pensils and a sharpener, and some basic tools.

for shorter cool weather treks, i put cache essentials in jacke pockets. a typical jacket holds a few cache goodies and some pencils and a spare LIGHT SOURCE.

for short warm weather jaunts, there's cargo pants.

i have not yet worn my very cute little geocaching shoes because the snow fell right after i got them. i found it was too awkward scrambling up rocks and climbing trees in high performance italian mountain bike shoes, so i got a very nice pair of light hikers with good ankle support and SPD cleats.

HOWEVER.... this week i went shoe shopping again and came up with some very cute little rock climbing shoes because i have now accidentally taken up rock climbing and now i can think of all sorts of caches i'll be able to go to in a while.

did i mention that i'm a gear whore?

sporting goods companies are just now catchin on to the fact that men will buy a thing for funtionality. women, on the other hand, will look at it for functionality and THEN ask how many colors it comes in. and sometimes we will buy several items to go with our outfits. we are a goldmine.

1. i was going to ask what's wrong with the one in your pic...

2. sporting goods companies are just now catchin on to the fact that men will buy a thing for funtionality. women, on the other hand, will look at it for functionality and THEN ask how many colors it comes in. and sometimes we will buy several items to go with our outfits. we are a goldmine.

1. The one in profile pic doesn't have a water bottle. And it needs a little more room...between the cell phone & charge cards. LOL :)

2. Yes, I collect packs in ALL colors too! We should go shopping ...ummm... caching together someday! LOL Yeah....caching.....that's it!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I had buckles on two fannypacks break recently. (NO... I was not wearing them at the time!!!!) I use them as 'go' packs for ham radio to keep the equipment I need to be able to transmit. However, since then I have not been able to find a fannypack big enough to fit over my...um... fanny. (I am still big-waisted) Besides camelback (which I've not looked at yet), does anyone know of companies that carry fannypacks big enough for those that are slimwaist-challenged?

The camelback is an option......but it looks like you wear them in the back. ?? I really want something I can wear in the FRONT....but not too big; since I'm a short waisted female who is also "slim-waist challenged".

The one in my profile pic is from Wal-Mart's pocketbook dept....it might be time to take a trip there. Sigh!

I've looked online for days. I can't believe I can't find something with a water bottle just a bit bigger than what I have that you can wear in the front.

I must be googling the wrong words.

I believe both LLBean and REI sell fanny packs with water bottle holders. I know there are several other companies, too, since I was looking for one two years ago. Go to yahoo, for instance, click on shopping, then type in fanny pack.

Are you sure one little water bottle is enough? You don't want to get dehydrated. You should always carry about twice as much water as you think you are going to need. On many occassions my caching trips turned into something much longer than planned, sometimes by choice.

The camelback is an option......but it looks like you wear them in the back. ?? I really want something I can wear in the FRONT....but not too big; since I'm a short waisted female who is also "slim-waist challenged".

The one in my profile pic is from Wal-Mart's pocketbook dept....it might be time to take a trip there.  Sigh!

I've looked online for days.  I can't believe I can't find something with a water bottle just a bit bigger than what I have that you can wear in the front.

I must be googling the wrong words.

Did you look at the Day Trekker?

Well lets see if we can be of assistance on your intelligent question. From my own experience things in the front have a tendency to get in the way. I have a

a Map Case which only carries maps and small stuff. And there are some links below the picture.

89e99d46-016b-4920-a435-5b6faedebb0b.jpg

Here are some other links for your info:

1. Satchel

2. Book Bag

3. A real FRONT PACK

4. Front Pack Attachement Kit

5. Which attaches to this pack.

6. Another Idea

7. Vest with Pockets

8. Last Link

Must concur with Tahosa and Sons. Anything hanging on the front seems, in my experience, to be in the way. The larger it is, the more it's in the way; and not simply for reaching across one's self. Accessories worn at the waist line interfere with bending and the larger they are the more the interfere. If I didn't use a back pack, I'd probably try something that I could sling over a shoulder and connect to my belt to prevent it from swinging. An old military gas mask carrier comes to mind, but I haven't seen one of those for longer than I care to remember. Take a look at a surplus store in your area and see if something in their inventory strikes your fancy.

I've been checking out all your links. THANKS!!

And, guys, as far as things being in the front....and being in the way..... ummm, females are used to that. :D

Since I've used a front fannypack as a pocketbook for several years now...and been caching with such a pack for over a year now, I'm used to it & not worried about it being in the way.

I'm just tired of having to ask hubby to pass me the water bottle. I want my own. And since I'll have my own GPS now, my smaller pack won't really hold it all.

I don't carry much "hiking" type stuff. He carries that stuff. And we don't go far or do hard caches anyway.

I think I should be able to find something off that yahoo suggestion. So far, it gave the most results.

THANKS AGAIN. I knew I could get some help here.

Assuming that's the hubby standing next to you in the pic, I'd suggest you consider taking him along on your geocaching expeditions and let him carry the extraneous equipment. You can carry the GPSr in your hand, or even a pocket, and realize full and complete geocaching enjoyment with that level of freedom. :D

Once again Gallahad shows that Chivalry is not lost.

And speaking as a husband, you would not be the first to do this. I carry EVERYTHING, including the baby, when the whole family goes. Bought a Cloudwalker and it's nowhere near big enough.

F_M

I know I'm a little late to this thread but ... I just got a water bottle holder and clip it on my normal fanny pack with a carabiner. (I have no idea how to spell this :) ) This is convenient because sometimes you don't need the water with you.

This winter I bought a men's parka/jacket (the women's ones are too fitted) that has many pockets and it's great. I have a pocket for the digital camera and strap wrench thing, another one for the loot bag and wallet and one for the cell phone. It has d rings attached to it where I hang the compass and a jury rigged pencil from a carabiner. This has been great just throw it on and your ready to go. I just take off the pencil and compass if I am not caching. because of this I think I will be going for the vest idea for the summer. and yes I am short and waist challenged also so I know what you're going through! :blink:

sporting goods companies are just now catchin on to the fact that men will buy a thing for funtionality. women, on the other hand, will look at it for functionality and THEN ask how many colors it comes in. and sometimes we will buy several items to go with our outfits. we are a goldmine.

Hey, it's not just the women. My last pack/bag I bought I wanted in the green color, but there were out. So I chose the sky-blue color, but they were out of that too. So, I ended up with the grey one. :blink:

I am a little late on this subject, but I will let you know what I use anyhow. I have a pack made by Galco in Phoenix AZ. It is for a concealed carry purpose (SW Mod 12) but it works really well for the SW and a lot if zippered places to put battreies, swag, GPSr, and a lot of other stuff. I like it because I don't have to look for all my stuff before I go out to cache or any other thing. Maybe some won't agree but I am into security as well as a good time. As fo water and lunch and all the other stuff, I let the wifie tote that. :blink:

Thumper :):):D

Well, I checked all the websites (many I never heard of & didn't come up in google searches)..and took a trip to WalMart & Target. To my surprise, I selected 2 at Target that I clearly passed up on the web based on pictures alone.

These are not large...but VERY roomy.

I got this for $15: http://www.outdoorproducts.com/proddetail.aspx?sku=1233U

Zipper for main compartment opens really wide. Very good if I'm ever taking our Olympus C750 anywhere. Very roomy for 300 cu inches.

Also, got this for $10: http://www.outdoorproducts.com/proddetail.aspx?sku=1231U Good for hubby for bike / caching that he does when he's away on army "business" trips & doesn't have a car. OR for those quick short caches.

Between these 2 & the one he currently uses (which is a size in between), I think we are good! I really thought I was looking for more....but seeing them in person really helped. Now I just need to return the Jansport 625 cu inch lumbar pack I ordered. It's huge!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good choice. I use one that is similar to the large one, but hang it with suspenders and carry it in the rear. The suspenders do two things, takes the weight of the water off your hips, and my standard day pack sits on it also, so there is less weight on the shoulder straps.

It has become my first aid pack only, that way I have it for short excursions. But when I need to do the full pack its always ready to go. And the two water bottles at 24 oz. each. plus a 100oz. internal bladder give me all the liquid I need till I hit the brew at home.

I purchased a great camo fanny pack from Rural King for under $10.00 It had a large center compartment, 2 side compartments perfect for cell phone or GPS and a built in water bottle carrier. It is mounted to a wide belt with extra large buckles. I use it for dog agility training. I put in on with the goodies at the back , then turn everything around to the front for access.

Here is a link:

http://ruralking.com/rko/cart.cgi?PRODUCT=...4PZw&AISLE=1291

Goin' down the road feelin' good. Yes , good, not bad!

sigh. i bought one around christmas and it's giving me fits. If I put nalgene bottles in the side pockets the whole pack just hangs horizontally off my back (uncomfortable) and the bottles eventually fall out. Also, it has a plastic clip to hook the straps together, and any real pressure causes it to snap open - always at the most unopportune time, such as when the dog lunges for something. I have an older fanny pack that is just a sack but it has a metal hook & eye clasp and has never fallen by accident - but it has no water pockets or nuthin.

sigh.

I got one a few months ago from Campmore, which always seems to have the best prices. Columbia makes them in various sizes - the one I got has several compartments and holds quite a lot. Having said that, I hardly ever use it. I prefer a well made day pack (Mountainsmith makes some nice ones with good hip belts, etc.). The reason is that for caches that are a short walk from the car, all I take is my GPS, hiking stick, and trade items in my pocket (and a pen). For longer hikes, I like to have some water, a compass, my cell phone, etc...and this won't fit into any kind of hip or fanny pack. I keep a large plastic tool box in the trunk with trade items, extra containers and bags, markers, etc....so that I have what is needed for any hunt or spur of the moment cache creation.

Edit -- spelled Campmor wrong

Edited by hikemeister

I was in Target yesterday, and found a daypack on clearance sale for $4. I also found a fanny pack with hydration system on clearance for <$5. I couldn't decide, so I bought both. I now have more packs than I know what to do with, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I may not use the hydration system (maybe I will, who knows) but even if I don't the fannypack is worth more than I paid for it. There was an Eddie Bauer pack on clearance for ~$10, but that was too much for me. :D