Problem With The "new" Flags?

Algonquin Bound

Perhaps Cache-tech can answer this. Is there a problem with the "New" flag, for new caches? new3.gif It has never shown up on GCHHZG. I rely heavily on these flags, to quickly flip through and see if there are any recent caches in my area. I missed this particular one, because there was no flag. While I'm asking, how long are these flags scheduled to be on a new cache? Just wondering. :)

Edited by Algonquin Bound

You would be better off asking in the Geocaching.com web site forum to get an answer to this.

If my guess is worth anything, that cache was placed almost 2 weeks ago. Maybe the hider waited a while before submitting the cache (waiting for it to snow to cover tracks?) and the 'new' time had passed.

You would be better off asking in the Geocaching.com web site forum to get an answer to this.

I agree with FarSideX - ask in the Geocaching.com forum for a definitive answer.

My understanding, FWIW, is that the 'NEW' flag will appear on any cache where the date hidden is newer than one week ago. This has nothing to do with when the cache was actually hidden, or when it was approved, but is a simple math function performed on the date entered in that field when the cache is submitted.

Some implications:

- A typo in that field can play havoc on the 'NEW' flag.

- A cache that takes over a week to approve (for whatever reason) may never display the 'NEW' flag.

- A cache with a future date, such as an event cache, will show the 'NEW' flag until a week after the event.

- A cache owner can cause the 'NEW' flag to appear at any time just by changing the Date Hidden on the cache page.

SylvrStorm

Perhaps Cache-tech can answer this. Is there a problem with the "New" flag, for new caches? new3.gif It has never shown up on GCHHZG. I rely heavily on these flags, to quickly flip through and see if there are any recent caches in my area. I missed this particular one, because there was no flag. While I'm asking, how long are these flags scheduled to be on a new cache? Just wondering. :)

Hi Algonquin Bound,

There is no problem with the New Flag, the Flag works with the date and is on the cache for 7 days counting from the Hidden date on the cache page. If a cache is back dated or there are approval issues which needs to be resolved first, and this takes the approval date past the 7 day mark from the Hidden date on the cache page, the New Flag may never show and it would also miss the weekly notice. I never thought of it, I was just happy that I could approve the cache, I did not take the date into account with the New Flag or weekly notice. This cache was approved about 8 days after being submitted, so it never had the flag. I was working with the owner of the cache and with the HCA to ensure there would be no objections to the placement. Sorry for the confusion.