Need Cheap Gps Units For Homeschoolers

Followers 1

Armor2 and I will be teaching a class for Homeschoolers on Map Reading, Using a Compass and a GPSRas well as other useful outdoor skills (I'm still in the planning stages). The class will be once per week for 26 weeks. A large portion of the class will require the use of GPS units. Most of these kids come from lower income families and can't afford brand new units or even the prices being charged for used units on Ebay. I'm hoping to get at least one GPSR for every three students. Any idea's on where I can get some cheap cheap cheap would be greatly appreciated. The class begins in approximately 3 months so I have a little time to work with. I'm not sure how many kids total there will be but I'm guessing it will be anywhere from 10 to 20 kids in the class. So I need at least 3 units and maybe up to 7 units. I'm not worried about top of the line or latest technology. They just need to work good and be affordable. I'll probably end up paying for them myself and I'm as low income as the kids are. I have also posted this message in the GPS Garage sale section.

Hmm... maybe try pawn shops? Perhaps you can bargin them down, or get them to put any units on layaway.

But who knows what shape they'll be in, so look them over carefully.

e/ I know you said ebay may be too much, but really sometimes they're old or slighty damaged units for like $40. (by slighty I mean the people claim the screen has a crack but unit is fine, again, who knows the shape...)

Edited by welch

I don't know if they still have them, but Fry's in Renton was clearancing one of the Cobra models for about $69 a couple of weeks ago. They also had the good taste to put a sign above the GPSr display pointing people to geocaching.com :blink:

Tnx--KK7UZ

Stop at your local department stores, and ask to speak with the store manager. Stores like Target, and many others have funds and items setup for giving away for educational and community activities.

They may be able to give several units, which would also cut down on the learning curve for the instructor staff.

I've seen numerous people do this for sporting activities, I can think of no reason why it wouldn't work for you.

I am a teacher and have found money available for technology grants. There are letters to write and hoops to jump through, but the money is there. I usually do a google search for sites. ie technology education grants, technology grants. You may even wish to look for homeschool grants or alternative education grants. Someone mentioned contacting manufactures. I have done this for software and different hardware. Many time the person that answers the phone does not know much about something like this, but if you get to the right PR person, you might be surprised what they will do. Offer them pictures, course materials, and testimonials that they can use for advertising. Mention that this could be a ongoing class and you would like to use their products because of . . . .(there's no shame in a little flattery). If these students fall into the catagory of "at risk" or economically deprived, this should be mentioned as well.

Hope it helps

:)