Coolest And Lamest Items Of 2004

The Weasel

Yeah I know there are topics about cool and lame stuff found. But, I want to know whats been the neatest or worst thing found this year (2004). Granted, the year has just started, but there has to be some good stories out there already.

I'll start the ball rolling......

Coolest--zipper battery pack with fresh pack of batteries. (On a cold day, these come in VERY handy)

Lamest--A bunch of withered up and water logged pogs. Are these things even still around?

So lets hear it, whats hot and whats not in 2004!!!!!

Edited by The Weasel

Hmmmm.........

Hot: Lapel Pins, Smashed Pennies, AA Batteries and Travel Bugs

Not: Broken stuff and sticky stuff....

I do look to see what's in a cache but I like the find more than the treasures. I'm sure that some folks think the lapel pins are kinda bogus but I bring 'em home and put them up on my bullitin board. I don't have small children but if I did I'd probably think the McToys were cool too. I always try to trade up... I leave stuff that I think is cool but the next person might think is lame. I left a bunch of little electronic "SPY EAR" toys for a while. In the cold weather I'm going to start leaving handwarmers (the kind that heat up when exposed to air) and MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) heaters. I sometimes will leave something like an antiseptic wet one in a small cache. I've found them useful but others probably think they're lame. I found tissues in a cache once.... Lame? Nope! I needed them at the moment so they were great! I once found a set of AA Batteries in a cache just as my GPS died... that was such a great find I've bought a bunch of batteries that I'm going to start leaving.

It's all just for fun anyway.... right? :)

Hottest: A bolo tie of a rare semiprecious stone. A rock and gem dealer offered me $100 for it, but said it was worth quite a bit more.

My handmade Bosun cane from Bosun's Cane Cache in Houston.

A $20 Best Buy gift card from GQ's Abducted Santa Claus.

Any handmade sig item. (I.E. : Team Kender, Geowyz!, Team Dakiba, La Mudbug)

Nottest: Loose spare change and expired coupons.

Sn :):) gans

Edited by Snoogans

Hot: Most any signature item, or hat/lapel pin. I also like "local souvenirs" , so the best is a toss up between a "Royal Australian Air Force - 75 Squadron patch and brief history" and a token for an Australia T-Shirt.

Not: A granola bar and some PEZ candy (without a dispenser).

Edited by WindChill
I once found a set of AA Batteries in a cache just as my GPS died... that was such a great find I've bought a bunch of batteries that I'm going to start leaving.

remember that cold weather drains batteries, often overnight. So then, those previously cool and appreciated batteries become lame dead ones.

I once found a set of AA Batteries in a cache just as my GPS died... that was such a great find I've bought a bunch of batteries that I'm going to start leaving.   

remember that cold weather drains batteries, often overnight. So then, those previously cool and appreciated batteries become lame dead ones.

Who told you that? It's totally untrue. In fact, cold can greatly extend a battery's storage life. Just make sure you bring it up to room/body temperature before using, or it won't work well.

My best friend stores batteries in his freezer. He has batteries that are ancient (10+ years) and when he uses them (after letting them thaw), they work as well as new ones. His philosophy is to buy them cheap, then store them.

Anyway;

Coolest: Mini Mag light (didn't take it because I didn't have anything cool enough to trade for it)

Lamest: Two McDonalds Ketchup packets

how about finding ONE lame DINACELL battery (not a DURACELL but a DINACELL--looks a lot like a Duracell though).

Just ONE battery and it's not even a name brand. Guess you'll have to find multiple caches to get enough to run your GPS. :blink:

based on a true story

I see alot of lame stuff and a few cool things. I try to leave cool stuff. I usually leave a compass of some sort as my cache in. Some of the compasses cost as much as $20 at the store and for the most part I leave the $7-8 ones (I buy them online for alot less by the case). The coolest thing I found was a gamecock mascot toy from USC.

The lamest is either chopsticks or a bent up and soogy baseball card just gotten this year or last at the store, or any broken plastic childs toy?

Or maybe a yellow highlighter magic marker?

Edited by RockyRiver
Some of the compasses cost as much as $20 at the store and for the most part I leave the $7-8 ones (I buy them online for alot less by the case).

Hey RockyRiver, where do you buy your cases of compasses? Sounds like a great trade item.

Good: Lapel pins for my cork board at work. Have found a dozen or so different ones throughout the year.

Bad: A months-old movie ticket stub.

Or maybe a yellow highlighter magic marker?

Hey, at least a yellow highlighter is potentially useful to someone - provided it works and was new! That doesn't seem so lame to me.

Lamest things I've found in a cache:

1. Plastic, disposable fork. Tell me, would you put a utensil in your mouth that had been sitting in a cache outdoors for god only knows how long? And even if you would, a whole new pack of 100 of them costs $4... A state quarter would have been a big trade up here.

2. Dental floss. Because people look for dental hygience products while they are out of doors... And everyone knows that tupperware containers left outside in the rain are completely sanitary.

While both items are arguably useful - would you really want to use them?