Moderator Sock Puppets

lessenergy

I have always thought that the moderators should have sock puppets so that each could fully contribute to the site by expressing a personal opinion without the burden of representing GC.com with every post.

There is a downside to moderator sock puppet accounts but they would seem to be of minimal worry compared to the advantages.

Now I thought that this was just an idea that had no basis in reality. The recent "stampede" thread though implies that CO Admin has a sock puppet account.

Again, good for him. He should.

Now I guess I am naive as it appears that this is common knowledge.

So my question is : What other mods have sock puppet accounts and what are they?

In fact "sock puppet" is really the wrong term to use for this as it has negative connotations so I use that term with some reservations. A different term for this specific type of sock puppet should be used - maybe there is one.

Les.

Mod accounts are the sock puppets.  The real accounts have things like caching logs on them...

Not always. Moun10Bike, umc and I use our regular accounts.

I had to register the puppymonster.

He would have bitten me if someone would have taken it.

Edited by mtn-man

So I really am naive. :)

I never checked any of the mod profiles so did not realize this.

In retrospect, I should have put this on getting started forum.

RK - you're right. The sock puppet is on the other foot so to speak.

But, since this is common knowledge help me out. Who is who?

Thanks!

Banshee, I don't agree. Moderators (and all of admin for that matter) have two different roles here and they will conflict. They need sock puppets to keep those roles seperate.

Les.

Its not that moderators/admins have sock puppet accounts. Some geocachers who also serve as moderators and admins have second accounts that they use for doing their jobs. Other, mostly older admins geocache and work under the same account. With the constant attacks here against the admins/moderators, I can see why some would want a second account for their role as an admin. CO Admin, Keystone Approver, NJ Admin and others moderate and administer under second accounts. You probably know them well under their real accounts, as they also post here frequently in their roles as geocachers . There are also admins who use the same account for administration and for geocaching. In most cases they are early admins who never thought they'd be called Nazis and all the other horrible names for doing their job.

Edited by briansnat

:) What's a sock puppet? :)

I imagine that if I had a sock puppet it would look something like this:

bunny.gif

More on topic . . . I thought NJAdmin was Sparky Watts . . . sheesh now I'm really confused. Though, Briansnat seems a more likely candidate.

Anyhooter . . . happy caching and stuff!

Well, I thought I would let everyone know how we get new cache approvers. I've posted this before in a regional forum, but I guess it is time to let the cat out of the bag in the General Topics area.

This is a top secret photo of Jeremy looking for the next cache approver.

sock_puppet.jpg

This is me being grilled by Tim Russert regarding the archiving of a recent virtual cache.

sockandrussert1.jpg

Well, I thought I would let everyone know how we get new cache approvers. I've posted this before in a regional forum, but I guess it is time to let the cat out of the bag in the General Topics area.

This is me being grilled by Tim Russert regarding the archiving of a recent virtual cache.

ROFL!!!!!!! :):):):D

but I guess it is time to let the cat out of the bag in the General Topics area.

Looks to me like you let the sock dog out of the bag instead! :)

My sockpuppet is an orange newspaper bag that I once glued paper eyes to and used as a pretend pokemon charmander to freak out a co-worker. It is still in my office somewhere. It does not have a GC.com account.

I wanna be a sock puppet! 

But . . . then who will the real me be?

sock_puppet_shrugging_sm_clr_26920.gif

(sigh)

Happy caching and stuff:)

Diana Prince? (Wonder Woman's alter ego)

Hmmm . . . I wonder if Diana Prince would be interested in buying a moderatly used little yellow E-trex and a bunch of dirty socks.

Sock puppets are but a walking shadow, a poor cacher that struts and frets his posts upon the forum then is logged on no more. It is a tale told by a [prawn,] full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Interesting side note: One of the synonyms Webster lists for puppet is "Cat's-Paw". Sparky? :)

What do shrimp have to do with sockpuppets? :)

<IMAGE REMOVED>

<IMAGE REMOVED>

Wow...I've got 2 of these "approvers." One has the micro-chip and will say cool things like "I'm here to play with the Tabby Cat!" and "I like your shorts, you're a good looking fellow." He doesn't say "Your cache has been archived because it doesn't meet the requirements", so I guess it will never be a real approver.