CHARTER MEMBERSHIP

JoGPS

What do you miss out on? I thought there was something, but couldn't find anything about it when I paid. I didn't do the auto renewal thing, either, basically for the same reason. Also because I basically don't use the account Paypal pulls from, so I don't want it trying to take money, if there isn't enough there icon_smile.gif

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

What I was asking was that with a lot of other group’s , clubs, and organization charter membership is usually for only for a set amount of time after its started . Only the first wave of people get to be charter members.

It doesn’t have anything to do with when you pay or how.

When the premium membership started, Jeremy indicated that you could become a "charter member" and (IIRC) the membership cost for those charter members would stay the same regardless of when they joined.

Here's the link to the quote below

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Becoming a charter member now means you'll be locked in at the same rate throughout, which is always a good thing.

JoGPS's question is: At what point can I not "lock in" at the same rate? I would think the answer would be as soon as Jeremy decides to change the price. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

So long as we're Markwelling, look at this thread, where Jeremy says the following:

quote:
We started memberships in March of last year. I hope that by March this year we'll have some additional services that will make memberships even more worthwhile.

There is now an option to do a nonrenewable subscription, so some people's subscriptions will expire after a certain point. We will most likely be raising our subscriptions in March/April except for those who have been grandfathered in through the renewable plan.

So, watch for a price increase (although the timeframe may be pushed back, since the new site design is taking longer than estimated at the time Jeremy made this post). And avoid it by signing up NOW! You'll be glad you did.

But I thought that jogps was simply asking when the "CHARTER" designation would no longer be available. For example, if you bought a membership during the first year memberships were available, you're a "Charter Member" and if you buy a membership after that date, you're a "Premium Member" or something like that. And to that question, I don't know the answer and haven't heard it asked before.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

I remember when Geocaching had no pay-for-membership services and it has never had any ads.

So what kept it going then, and what keeps it going now? The server, bandwidth, etc, all has to be funded somehow. Is all of this kept afloat by donations for the memberships?

For all the other companies offering services on the net out there, this is by far one of the most friendly, as there are no intrusive ads or obnoxious e-mailings. For that, I applaud!

Its probably a good thing that the date has been pushed back. I'd hate for those cacher's who did not get a 'self'renewing' subscription to be suddenly having to renew at a higher rate. This delay will allow those individuals who bought an annual membership in March 2002 some time to re-up at the old rate if their current annual membership expires.

My take on this is that JOGPS means that Charter Member might not be the best term since the website/organization has been around for a while. Usually Charter Member means Founding Member. Perhaps Supporting Member would be a more accurate title for those that support the website.

Eswau

Eswau sees the question the same way I did. And Eswau's suggested term, "supporting member," is much better than the "premium member" label I tossed out in my posting above. "Premium member" wrongly implies that I am "better" than another geocacher, whereas "supporting member" accurately reflects my personal choice to send $30 a year to support the site.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Eswau sees the question the same way I did. And Eswau's suggested term, "supporting member," is much better than the "premium member" label I tossed out in my posting above. "Premium member" wrongly implies that I am "better" than another geocacher, whereas "supporting member" accurately reflects my personal choice to send $30 a year to support the site.

The problem with "supporting member" is that it wrongly implies others are not supporting this site, when they infact could be.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by jogps:

I thought this was a smiple and easy question to ask.

I was wrong hu

Jeremy what are you thoughts on this?!

Are you sure you're NOT a newbie? icon_confused.gif Surely someone who's been around a little while would know that there aren't any simple and easy questions on the forums. icon_cool.gif

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

I think what "joegps" was asking was, how long will the service will continue to be free for those who aren't paying members. If that's correct, according to Jeremy, the answer is always. I guess we have to take him at his word.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I think he is confusing 'premium' (read paid) member and 'charter' member. Charter typically means one of the first people to start the club. This falls in with his further explanation about this title not being available forever. Premium is a member who pays the fee. Here at geocaching.com 'charter' is the term used for 'premium' or paid member. So, the answer would be, 'charter' membership will always be available. That is to say, anytime you decide to pay the membership fee (whatever it is at that time) you can take the title 'charter' member with pride. With the title feature in the profile, you can actually take any title you like. How about grandmaster of time and space?

There has not been an official distinction between people who 'started' this sport/site and those who have recently joined enough to call some people with a different title. So, pay up and you too can be a charter member. icon_wink.gif

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice that anyone that caches less than you do is a moron, while anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

dadgum, I just became a charter member a last week and with the non-renewable option!!

quote:
From subscription page:

Why should I pay for a membership?

Since this is a charter membership, there are currently only a few new features that will be available to you. We will be adding more features for premium users every month, and your subscription will be locked in at a lower price.

This statement does not distinguish the charter member who has used the renewable option from the charter member who has not. It would appear that you are locked in at the lower price, as long as you renew your subscription, whether you do it automatically or not.

I would assume that the exception here might be if you allow it to expire before having a chance to renew it.

Funny, I just checked the PayPal transaction from my original subscription and it does not appear to say if it's renewable or not. I wonder if you renew by using the same S-SOMETHINGORANOTHER number as last time?

Just went in to modify my pocket queries, & they're not there. Went back a year in my Pay Pal account, & I paid my subscription on March 5th last year. Looks like without warning, I became a non-charter member after the year was up. I thought I remember that the renewal would be automatic unless you chose not to. I guess not. I have no record of an e-mail notification from Groundspeak that it was time to renew. Anybody else have the same thing happen?

update-just checked back in my old e-mail files,& in the Groundspeak e-mail verifying my paid charter membership, this is in the message:

"Subscription Terms:

$30.00 per year

Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates

stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the

billing period."

So you got me. I sent a message off to the boss, so I'll have to wait & see. icon_eek.gif

---------------------

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

[This message was edited by Gimpy on March 07, 2003 at 03:09 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

Looks like without warning, I became a non-charter member after the year was up.

Yep same thing happened to me. Either yesterday or today I had my charter revoked. I'm pretty sure I didn't choose the auto-renew though. I would have appreciated an email from Groundspeak before hand though. I posted a related topic in the general section

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

My wife and I just signed up for "Charter Membership" on 3/10/03.

As you can see, we are listed as "Premium" members. I contacted Jeremy and asked the difference between "Charter" and "Premium" membership. The reply was:

"Yes. Charter members are those premium members who subscribed in the first

11 months that subscriptions were available. They don't get any more

features than you do."

Originally posted by Gimpy:

Just went in to modify my pocket queries, & they're not there. Went back a year in my Pay Pal account, & I paid my subscription on March 5th last year. Looks like without warning, I became a non-charter member after the year was up. I thought I remember that the renewal would be automatic unless you chose not to. I guess not. I have no record of an e-mail notification from Groundspeak that it was time to renew. Anybody else have the same thing happen?

update-just checked back in my old e-mail files,& in the Groundspeak e-mail verifying my paid charter membership, this is in the message:

"Subscription Terms:

$30.00 per year

Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates

stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the

billing period."

Mine went through automatically, got the Pay-pal email a few days ago, I don't think I checked any options for payment last march, in fact I don't recall even seeing any.

Bob G.

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???