A Cache Idea

quills

Ok here's my idea. I have a large cache box I was going to use as the final stage for a multi. My problem is alot of people don't like multi's here. However they don't seem to mind micro's and traditional caches. My idea was what if I put out a series of 6 micros hidden around the city where each micro has just the logbook to sign. In that logbook it would contain parts of the coordinates for the large cache( 1st cache N42, second cache33, etc). You would have to find the micros first to get all the coordinates. I would post the large cache on the website but the coordinates would be bogus with a note that you had to do the micros first to get the right coordinates. I was wondering what you would think about something like this. I looked but didn't see another topic like this. The micros would be pretty easy to find say between a 1 and a 2 for difficulty depending on the location. The large cache would be say between a 2 and a 3 for difficulty and maybe a 3 for terrain just because the hike from where you park is a little over 2 miles. I appreciate any oppinions on this thanks.

If the micros make sense on their own (they are in interesting places and are scattered around an area, not all in the same park), then you should be fine. If you place 6 micros plus a bonus cache all within a mile or two of each other, I will strongly encourage you to combine them into a multicache.

I disagree. We've seen several multis here that are quite popular. It may be true that newbies avoid multis (or give up without logging a dnf), but I think it depends on the multi. I wish there were more multis. I wish one multi in particular that has been disabled for maintenence would be enabled again (it's been 9 months, already!). ;)

In fact - about the only problem I see with multis is that they are a bit of work to maintain.

Bring on the multis! :D

-ST

Edited by StarshipTrooper

Put it out there Quills.

Team Chaoss likes multi's, and your caches. We just haven't had that much time to pursue them. Personally, my low stats are a result of taking too much time to enjoy the areas caches are hidden in, rather than the "fly in, sign the log, and get to the next cache" approach.

Once the weather breaks and the doc gives my heart the go ahead, we'll be looking for your multi, or however you place it.

;) Here's a thought.. Seems to be just a few of these caches out there but, maybe set the micro's up in the shape of a triangle and put the physical cache where X marks the spot i.e. the Centoid or middle of the triangle. A triangle is just one shape. Maybe try a circle, or a hex shape. However, you need to make the contents of the regular cache worth finding as a reward for a job well done. I don't know about you, but after you have cached for a while, the better the challenge, the more fun the find.

I like the idea since you can go for just the micros. Here is one example of how it can be done

NE Florida Solar System Model

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...E-4E44F444D383}

It is archived now, but when active there were 9 caches. Each one gave you a clue to find the hidden cache Halley's Comet. The scale of this one was large, probably 100 miles of driving to get all 9 and Halley.

Once thing people seem not to like about multis is they don't get credit for finding each of the sub-caches. Doesn't matter to me, but some people really care about the counts.

I personally prefer the mult-caches where the initial parts are virtual, and you get the coordinates via attributes of the virtual site. It would be discouraging to get blocked by failing to find one of the micros, especially if it has been stolen.

I guess it's up to the person puting out the cache. HOWEVER, IMO, I like multi's. USUALLY people who don't like multi caches is becuse they can't claim each "step" as a find like you can for micros.

Me, personally I'm not about the numbers. If a 6 leg multi and 6 micro's were both put out and I could have a FTF on either the multi or all 6 micros, I would take the multi every time. Micros are basically a step above a virtual cache. I say combine the best of both worlds. Make a mico-multi cache with a large cache at the very end.

ok thanks for all the replies. i'm still working out how this one will work. i want to make the micros take you to interesting places around town here. i've got 3 micros out already and have been told they were put in some nice areas. i try to make sure the finder gets why i put it there. i'll post more when i get this one worked out.

I vote for the 6 separate micros that give you parts of the coordinate of a final regular (Mystery?) cache. We don't have one like that locally so you'd be the trailblazer here in Erie. I'd only suggest that you spread out the micros so it requires some effort to find them all.

Btw, congrats on finding that dang Sneaky cache. I don't how we missed it the other day.

I personally prefer the mult-caches where the initial parts are virtual, and you get the coordinates via attributes of the virtual site. It would be discouraging to get blocked by failing to find one of the micros, especially if it has been stolen.

I say go for it.

In regards to the quoted comment, it is a point well taken in regards to traitional multis. If you miss just one stage of a traditional multi, you are generally up the proverbial tributary without a suitable means of propulsion, since the entire coords for the next micro are generally in it.

But in this case, where each micro has a part of the whole (coords), missing one or two can probably be guessed- especially if the cache page states what park the final is in.

For example, with this idea #2 being missing only causes loss of #2's data for the final. You can still find all the others. On a traditional multi it would stop you cold dead.

that's kind of what i was thinking with this one.you can either do all seven and get the prize at the end or not. the only thing some might not like is that you have to do the 6 micros before this one but that's why the difficulty rating would be higher. mot neccessarily that the micros would be all that hard but the fact that they needed to be done first in order to finish the final cache.