Inane Newbie Chatter

CordedTires

On only our second time out looking, I learned two very valuable things. Am only posting them for the amusement of other newbies, and to show I am not intimidated by forums with the occasional snotty sarcastic you-know-what.

1. Compasses don't necessarily point in the right direction when you're in a car. Hubby had the GPS and laughed hysterically when I pulled out the compass and told him which way was north.

2. You really have to look at a topo map first even if you're in a city park (which we were). We didn't find the cache (didn't want to take our kid down a steep snowy slope), and it turned out after we got home that even if we had gone down there, although it was the right direction, the cache was actually on the other side of a canal.

I love learning new things, even if it is sort of humiliating.

-- Carolyn

CordedTires wrote:

Am only posting them for the amusement of other newbies, and to show I am not intimidated by forums with the occasional snotty sarcastic you-know-what.

Even the SSYKW's had to learn these things at some time in their life. None of this is nature, it is all nutured. I love to see forums like this and people that are not afraid to tell stories on themselves, or ask the "newbie" questions.

You must understand that a lot of people, myself included, cruse these threads learning answers to question we have but had not asked. So, if the question is answered in a reasonable manner by somebody with the correct knowledge it is a benefit to many, and not just the asker. I am fairly new to this sport and this board, but I have a lot of experiance on other boards and have never felt bad about a newbie asking questions. If the research has been done, ie the search utility, and the skim the threads routine is done, and the answer is not found you can bet others are/will be looking at the answers. And a great big thanks goes out to those that take the time to help out the new people in the sport, it will serve to only make the sport stronger.

I'm stepping off the soap box now.......

Thumper :mad:B):mad:

PS You can delete the duplicate post very easily....read mrkablooey's post.

Edited by OKThumper

Ouch. MUCH more inane than I had planned! How extravagant.

You're right, THREE things. Thanks for the "how-to" and etc.

Gosh darn sidekick hiptop. Kept giving me a web browser timeout, blah, blah, blah, kept hitting the button, excuses, excuses. Serves me right for not using a Microsoft product.

OK, I'll go hide myself now.

Ouch. MUCH more inane than I had planned! How extravagant.

You're right, THREE things. Thanks for the "how-to" and etc.

Gosh darn sidekick hiptop. Kept giving me a web browser timeout, blah, blah, blah, kept hitting the button, excuses, excuses. Serves me right for not using a Microsoft product.

OK, I'll go hide myself now.

Gah! Not using a Microsoft product! Good for you ;)

the main newbie lessons I learned were:

set some sort of alarm for 1/2 of remaining daylight and turn around when it goes off. most important.

waypoint the car. if you're hiking a long way, waypoint important trail junctions as you pass through them.

take a small emergency poncho such as is available at walmart for a buck.

have a trail map if you can get one (topo not as necessary).

your kid is in better shape than you are, even if they do complain more.

... the cache was actually on the other side of a canal...

That never changes. It's always on the other side of the canal, creek, river, road, or cliff.

or in a poison oak patch last time I went out with mother goose and paw pal we found 3 cache's surrounded by it. LOL the itch was worth the trip :):) TAZ