Multicaches

Nebrcacher

My wife and I are new. We have found one virtual, one traditional, and one multi. We have also placed one traditional.

We are starting to think about placing a multi. The one multi we located was excellent. The initial set of coordinates lead us to a metal tag hanging carefully from the branch of a tree. It took a few minutes to find the metal tag once we got to the correct coordinates, especially since we weren't sure what we were looking for. The metal tag was small and hard to see, and was placed so as not to damage the tree. It had the next set of coordinates on it. That led us to another metal tag which led us to yet another. Finally, the third metal tag led us to the cache.

My question is this: is this a common way of placing a multicache? What are some other ways? I am hoping that people here can tell us of multicaches that they have placed or found so that we can learn. We want the first mulitcache we place to be a good one.

Thanks! :mad:

That's a common way of placing them. Others might use traditional sized cache containers or even micros like film canisters.

But these days with the abundance of caches multis don't get hit all that often, well not nearly as often as traditional caches. Grab a few more caches than you have and then you'll get a good idea of what's out there and what you enjoy and maybe even what you don't enjoy.

There are also multi-caches that use dates or other information on monuments or signs to get the coordinates. For example: Add the last two digits of the year to these coordinates to get the next location.

As Lazyboy suggested, go out and find a few more to get an idea of what others have done. I would suggest that you then use your imagination and personal non-geocaching experience to see what you can come up with. Is there something that you have at work that would make a unique and interesting tag or micro? I've seen pill bottles, wooden dowels with a wire rope going through them, a metal tag bolted to a brick, and weights from a dumbell used for the different stages of multis.

Have fun with the cache, that's what it's all about.

RichardMoore