Closest Unfound Cache

Team DaSH

My closest not found is 6.3 miles away. I don't own it, but I helped hide it, so I can't log it to get it off my screen. I wish there was an ignore feature. Next to that it's 6.9 miles, but I also helped the owner hide that one so its the same situation.

The closest not found that I'm able to log is 9.3 miles away. It's a micro with a 4 star difficulty that I already have one DNF on. I have a feeling its gonna be on my screen for some time judging from the other logs.

Edited by briansnat

Mine is 8.5 miles away. It's a multi that was hidden over Christmas. I haven't done a multi yet, and plan to do that one once the weather warms up a tad. The guy that hid it is somewhat of a legend in these parts, so I'm really looking forward to doing it!

The next closest two are both 13.5 miles, and after that I get out to the 15 mile range....I've got plenty close at hand to keep me busy, it's just a matter of finding the right weather when my back doesn't limit my mobility! Oh, yeah, my newest one is about 2.5 miles away....just planted it Friday! :mad:

It WAS .9 until just after Christmas when I found it. Waited for some time as this series is particularly nasty.

Next is 1.4 miles and it's on my list since it's such a cool cache. Ghost Hill.

I try not to do all the close ones, since there are times when I want to get out for a quick one. If you exhaust all the close ones you'll need to drive farther for those spur of the moment cache adventures!

The closest cache to my home is now 3.4 miles away. About 3 months ago I took another local cachers advice and stopped caching for a while. This gave the area a chance to replenish. Up untill then the closest cache was at least a 45 minute drive away.

Since I've held back there are a bunch of "cache and grabs" and a few hiking caches within a short drive. It looks as if I'll have at least 3 weekends of cahcing before I have to start driving for almost an hour.

I have two unfound caches just under 40 miles away.

One is across Lake Erie in Canada and is underwater, Long Point Bay Cache. The hiders checked on the cache back in July and they couldn't even find it themselves so it'd be nice to archive this one.

The other is not an actual cache but a challenge to find four other Tolkien caches, Tolkien Quilt Cache. The coordinates used are actually a spot in the middle of all the caches. The problem with this one is that only 2 of the 4 caches have ever been hid. The last 2 don't exist yet and the time given keeps changing and they may never be hid.

Edited by Tprints

My closest one is 0.9 miles

Why?

a. I am new and am slowly working through all the caches in town

b. This particular one is a virtual that will likely require research in the library or with locals, so we are waiting till we have a big chunk of time to do this.

I have not been doing the closest ones first either, primarily because I realize that once I have been doing this for a while, there will not be any close ones left to find. With this in mind, when we have had full days or even weekends to cache, we have driven somewhere further away more likely then not. The close ones can then be used for Lunch finds, or partial weekend days.

16.6 miles.

Why? Well, for one thing, it just recently became my nearest unfound, when I found the previous one. Second, while the site says it's 16.6 miles, I'm not a crow and can't fly, so it's more like 40 miles for me to drive there. Then there's the stream crossing, and the steep hill climb, not really good ideas with single digit temps and almost a foot of snow.....but I'll get to it sooner or later :mad:

27 miles. I just hadn't got that far out my new 'circle of found', but finding just it doesn't solve the problem because I haven't done any caching in Waterloo since Dec. 01 (when I found both caches there :mad: ). So there are over a dozen caches up in/around that area I have yet to find.

.22 miles. A particularly difficult cache that I helped my son create and hide as a gift to a fellow cacher who happens to be his boss.

11.7 miles.- Just haven't gone to look for it.

45.8 miles- Closest cache that I have a DNF on. A multi that I am still working on. Hidden on 1/3/2002 with only 4 finders.

The closest cache to my home is now 3.4 miles away. About 3 months ago I took another local cachers advice and stopped caching for a while. This gave the area a chance to replenish. Up untill then the closest cache was at least a 45 minute drive away.

That's why I am working outside-->in. :mad:

1.3 miles. It's a multi. I found the first part, and have sought the last part several times, but now I think I have the answer and can find it when the snow's gone. I recently found a couple of hides that were georocks. When I searched this one, I didn't know about those things. I Think it's gotta be a rock, or something of that nature, but I know I won't find that one in the snow. I won't post the link, as I don't want to publish a possible spoiler.

The second and 3rd closest DNFs (3.2 and 3.3 miles) require a boat. Sigh.

I have 8 caches within 10 miles, the closest being 4.7 miles away.

4 of these caches are new, 2 are hard multi-caches, 1 is a mile-plus hike, and 1 is a virtual.

I'll get to the new caches in the next week or two, I haven't solved the multi/puzzles yet, I can't easily take the young kids out for along hike in the cold, I won't go out of my way for a virtual (it's also a mile-plus hike).

4 of these caches are new, 2 are hard multi-caches, 1 is a mile-plus hike, and 1 is a virtual.

I'll get to the new caches in the next week or two, I haven't solved the multi/puzzles yet, I can't easily take the young kids out for along hike in the cold, I won't go out of my way for a virtual (it's also a mile-plus hike).

Have you figured out the timing for number 3 yet? All too soon you'll be claiming you can't take the crew out in the HEAT! :D :D

>> That edit tag is some sort of error I was never in there fixing some of the bad spellings ;)

Edited by welch

Mine is a new micro that's only 3 miles away. I've been there 5 times looking for it. I loogeda dnf after the first 2 times. It's been found once. But even more experienced cacher after me haven't found it. The cache owner says it's out in the open and not covered by anything.

0.9 Miles, first stage of a multi, locked keys in car while I wandered around getting numbers. Walked home to get spare keys, wife wasen't interested in completing cache. Go figure. ;)

2.4 miles, Inconsiderate cacher placed cache on favorite walking route while I am in the middle of selling house and don't have any spare daylight hours. Curse you BigGeek!!!!!!!

1.5 miles (from new house), 1000 foot elevation gain, well maybe not that much but I'm in the valley it's on the mountain top. Besides I helped place the cache on a off road caching trip I helped organize. It's not my cache but I can't log it, so it will forever be on my first page.

5 mi - This cache has been missing and archived. Just found out it was replaced and found today ( guess what I will be doing tomorrow)

Next is 12 mi - went in November adn encountered too many hunters but will be back.

Next 2 are at 27 mi and require a boat, will get them in spring.

I am now working on all that are around the 30 mi mark.

Farthest one I have driven to is 1557.12 mi in Death valley.

Happy Caching

GEO.JOE

Have you figured out the timing for number 3 yet? All too soon you'll be claiming you can't take the crew out in the HEAT! :) :)

>> That edit tag is some sort of error I was never in there fixing some of the bad spellings :)

It was in the mid-40s today, so I took the kids out and found 3 of the 4 new caches in my area. (That 4th one hasn't been found yet and I suspect the coords are wrong. I'm waiting for an email from the owner before wasting my time on it)

It doesn't get "too hot" until July, and then only for two months.

ok i found the one that was haunting me tonight. the cache owner was right you could see it from your vehicle. this cache owner is known for being very sneaky with his hides. all i can say is i'm glad that i don't have to look for that one again. the only thing is the cache owner says more are coming that are going to be more challenging than this. i can't wait. lol

ok i found the one that was haunting me tonight. the cache owner was right you could see it from your vehicle. this cache owner is known for being very sneaky with his hides. all i can say is i'm glad that i don't have to look for that one again. the only thing is the cache owner says more are coming that are going to be more challenging than this. i can't wait. lol

I've got a sneaky one like that that I still need to place. I'm kind of afraid to place it on a high-traffic corner and might go for a quieter location instead. Both locations have plenty of "decoy spots" where a sneaky cache could be hidden, but one is under a streetlight.

This is mine: Pony Express # 3 Mud Springs. It's about 450 miles from where I live. Heh... :blink:

I don't have a whole lot of caches logged yet, but most of the ones I do have are in Northern California, and I live in Southern California. I gotta get busy looking for the ones near me now.

Oh, wait. You guys are talking about the whole list? I thought you meant DNF's I've actually gone looking for. In that case, I have a ton of not founds that are really close to me.

Edited by thomascanty

There now are about 5 quite close to my home, but all are going to require more time than I have available right now to go hunting -- they all are multi-stage micros with long hikes. Time is the only issue. My geocaching lately has involved going out over lunch to hit one or two caches a week, with the occasional (rare) weekend trip to do a larger number. Also aiming to hit 200 in considerably less time than it took to get 100, and with that goal (just a personal goal for fun, to see if it happens) in mind, focusing more on numbers, rather than going after those time consuming ones. Hit 100 in November 2003 (after 6 months of hunting). Am up to about 170 now, so may aim for those time consuming caches in.....oh about one month. HM :blink:

These two are 6.9 and 7.5 miles respectively. I live on Lake Erie, and they are both on Kelley's Island. The lake is frozen this time of year, so obviously the ferrys aren't running. Plane rides are rather expensive. Walking it would take awhile. So, I'll wait.

Third closest not found I have 2 DNF's on. Someone who has found it previously e-mailed me that it is almost impossible to find in the snow, so I'll return when it melts.

Fourth closest one is in CANADA! It's on Pelee island, which is the southernmost part of canada. There is no ferry service that I'm aware of from the US, so I'll need to borrow a friend's boat.

The rest I just haven't made it to yet.

Edit: BBCode stinks!

Edited by mattopia

Closest unfound cache also happens to be the closest cache to me, at only 880 meters...I think the cold weather (didn't stop me last year) and other activities (dates, family/friends functions) have slowed me down this past month. And I figure it is so close I can do this anytime easily whenever I need a quick fix.

I feel pretty bad, but I have no less than 34 "unfound" caches within 4 miles of my house. (zip code) Of course, there are 43 in that same range, so I have at least hit 9 of them-

There are just So Many caches around here, I dont think I could ever hit ALL the caches within 10 miles... (currently 200+) I guess i cant really complain- I will never "have" to travel far to get a fix-

I also cache near my cabin in WI - I have 9 of the 40 within 28 miles - the nearest No Find at 9.7 miles

For me, it all comes down to time- Making time for caching with everything else going on is tough. I dont mind the cold, and have the gear for it so I cant use that as an excuse.

I am on a mission tho, to hit as many of these nearby caches as possible. I just have to try and out-pace the new hiders - not an easy task here in MN- Many many great caches to be had-

At 1.5 there is a virtual that I might get around to some day and at 1.6 is a multi that I have been wanting to do but don't have time. First traditional is 1.8. There are some more in the 2-3 mile range and a bunch around 6-9

I'm actually more likely to go after caches farther away because I like the drive and unfamiliar places. I tend to pick up caches real close to me on and off and just a few at a time. Plus I'm purposely saving some caches here for good hiking or biking weather.

I might take a drive this weekend and get all the caches in a few nearby towns (about 30-40 miles away).